spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

nothappy

@comcast.net

Don't like the people in my yard

ATT has utility work in my back yard but I doubt they have had background checks and all that... I don't know what they did to my dog but he was hiding... They are not the kind of people I would invite into my home... What can I do?

Expand your moderator at work

cissjbk

join:2010-11-17
Irmo, SC
reply to nothappy

Re: Don't like the people in my yard

Nothing unless you see them do something wrong ... they have a legal right to be there, more than likely.

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL
kudos:1
reply to nothappy

And most likely they are not actually in your yard but on a right of way.
--

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

Is an "easement" the same thing as a "right-of-way"? I can fence the perimeter of my yard, but I can't prevent the utility workers from accessing their equipment within that perimeter because of the easement.

And I definitely pay taxes based on the area within the perimeter.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

Cthen

join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI
Reviews:
·Verizon Wireless..

said by NormanS:

And I definitely pay taxes based on the area within the perimeter.

I wonder, why are we the one paying their taxes when we already have to pay a bill that they send us, with taxes on it too!
--
"I like to refer to myself as an Adult Film Efficienato." - Stuart Bondek

SECraft

@bellsouth.com

Because your city/county/state want you to, thats why. AT&T pays taxes on the right of way too. You aren't paying "their" taxes, you are paying yours.

Austinloop

join:2001-08-19
Austin, TX
kudos:1
reply to nothappy

It would be helpful if you would describe what they are doing. If they are laborers digging a "pit" over the cable, then it is doubtful that they have background checks. If they are AT&T employees then they probably fairly trustworthy people, but like every thing else, ymmv.

If they are in your back yard, they are in an easement, not a right-of-way. Right-of-way is normally near the street before your property line, here, the property line is about 10' from the curb.

For the gentleman that commented about taxes on the easement. Originally, when the easement was granted, some type of compensation was provided to the land owner, subsequent purchasers of the land are out of luck for compensation. Again, depending on your state, ymmv.

One always has to option to ask for the easement to be vacated, however, the utilities will require compensation for all work necessary to vacate the easement. Attempting to lock them out is not a good plan, nor is allowing your dog to be in the yard with them, my guess is that the dog got a face full of "doggie mace". Locking the workers out of a valid easement could result in a visit from the local law enforcement personnel.

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to SECraft

said by SECraft :

Because your city/county/state want you to, thats why. AT&T pays taxes on the right of way too. You aren't paying "their" taxes, you are paying yours.

Only if they are in a right-of-way. You are welcome to enlighten me on which part of this picture is a "right-of-way":

Utility easement.

--
Norman

WHT

join:2010-03-26
Rosston, TX
kudos:5

said by NormanS:

You are welcome to enlighten me on which part of this picture is a "right-of-way"

Any area where they need to go to access their equipment, cables, and poles. Your property deed would have that disclaimer.

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

said by WHT:

said by NormanS:

You are welcome to enlighten me on which part of this picture is a "right-of-way"

Any area where they need to go to access their equipment, cables, and poles. Your property deed would have that disclaimer.

I claim that is an "easement", not a "right-of-way". There is no "way" (path, street, sidewalk) in that photo.

Easements give "right-of-access", not "right-of-way".
--
Norman

OSUGoose

join:2007-12-27
Columbus, OH
reply to NormanS

Typically 10-15 feet on each side of the pole is the easement. Just because the stuff is on poles does not change the fact that the utility will need to gain access to repair/upgrade/maintain, thus why the easement extends beyond the pole to permit workers and equipment to reach the poles and wires.

OSUGoose

Columbus, OH
reply to NormanS

Right-of-way pertains " A RIGHT to the utility facilities to have a WAY through private/public lands to interconnect facilities and provide services." Thus why utilities will use existing poles as the easement/right-of way already exists, and not need to be negotiated to upgrade/expand. Its also why people had no legal recourse when AT&T and other utilities place cabinets in existing easements and right of ways. If you don't like it, pay a surveyor to survey out where the easements is, and every time a worker wants to do any work, require they stay within that area, you'll be surprised how little land you can say they cant walk on.

Expand your moderator at work

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to OSUGoose

Re: Don't like the people in my yard

OIC. "Easement" and "right-of-way" mean the exact same thing. LIB.

Hopes my backyard is not a "public RoW", else the fence is illegal!
--
Norman

OSUGoose

Columbus, OH

Try having a petroleum pipeline runing along the south side of your house, and negating 15 feet of at 25 feet side yard. Can't do anything without calling them up and asking is it ok if I plant this or build this.