spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Gary W

join:2003-12-31

[Extreme Plus] SMCD3GN router shuts down once a week?

For some reason lately, my SMCD3GN router has been shutting down about once a week. Usually I can wait a few minutes and it might reset itself, or I might have to go over and pull the plug to hard reset it.

I used to think it was Rogers that was the problem, but lately whenever the connection drops, I can't even connect to the SMC router in my browser.

What could the cause for this be, and what can I do about it?
Thanks in advance!

JCohen
Premium
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON
kudos:11

Go to your nearest Rogers store and ask them for a Cisco modem.

elitefx

join:2011-02-14
London, ON
kudos:2

said by JCohen:

Maybe the OP owns the gateway. Trading in a new SMCD3GN for a refurbed DPC3825 is a tough call value wise. I'd ask for a Hitron instead......

JCohen
Premium
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON
kudos:11
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed

said by elitefx:

said by JCohen:

Maybe the OP owns the gateway. Trading in a new SMCD3GN for a refurbed DPC3825 is a tough call value wise. I'd ask for a Hitron instead......

Personally I'd do the trade in seeing as the Cisco is a much better device than the SMC.

Gary W

join:2003-12-31
reply to Gary W

I do indeed own my router rather than rent it. So I'd have to buy a new one? Is it really so superior to justify the purchase? I've had the old one for about two years now.

yyzlhr

@rogers.com
reply to elitefx

You cannot exchange purchased SMC's or Cisco gateway for the Hitron. The Hitron is being positioned as a premium product and does not share the same product code as the SMC and Cisco gateway.

h8rogers

join:2009-11-04
reply to Gary W

They did a firmware update recently. Since then the performance has gone down the tubes.

elitefx

join:2011-02-14
London, ON
kudos:2

1 edit
reply to Gary W

said by Gary W:

Is it really so superior to justify the purchase?

Well, the issue really is: Does the SMC gateway perform to your satisfaction?
On the diagnostic front: are you 100% sure where the problem lies? Is it the modem component or router component? We really need to get into specifics here. Sometimes the simplest thing can be the cause. Sometimes it's just Rogers working on their network. Do a line quality test and a ping test, put the gateway in Bridge mode and see how it performs. Sooner or later you'll track the issue down. If it's only once a week I wouldn't give it much thought. To me, that's a Rogers network issue. Wouldn't hurt to check all your cables/connections either.
Just thinking: Could be an overheating issue. That will cause a shutdown/reboot. Reposition/elevate the Gateway. Make sure it has good ventilation.....

ShelaghDB

join:2012-09-02

You might want to take a peek at my thread as we are having similar problems and it might help you if mine is resolved BUT the problems you are having I am still having on this new modem as well and wish i had now, NOT given up the SMCD

»New Rogers HITRON CGN2-ROG -Cant Stay Online