spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Bucolic

@rr.com

[TWC] DNS server and Ipconfig question

When you do the "ipconfig /all" command, are the DNS servers supposed to be the address of RR's servers or the address of the router? With my old ISP, for instance, it showed it was pointed to the router, and the router was set to get the DNS server automatically from the ISP. But with RR it now shows the actual servers when I do the "ipconfig", even though the router is set up the same way in that regard as it was before. I'm not sure why it switched method in what is shown in "ipconfig."

swintec
Premium,VIP
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME
kudos:5
Mine shows the router, and my router has OpenDNS configured into it.
--
Usenet Block Accounts | Unlimited Accounts

dcurrey
Premium
join:2004-06-29
reply to Bucolic
I have always seen actual server addresses. I keep dns relay off in router so my computer get the server addresses. Otherwise they would get the ip address of my router and the router just does a relay.

Bucolic

@rr.com
My router doesn't have DNS relay, at least not as a definite shown and configurable option labeled as such. It does have a place to insert the ISP's 2 DNS servers if desired (as opposed to "get them from ISP automatically", and perhaps that does activate a "DNS Relay" in the background. But I didn't enter anything for the old ISP either. So I'm not sure what is different; not that it's a real problem. I was mainly just curious. I can test it by putting the 2 numbers in the router, then doing the Ipconfig and see if it then shows the router for DNS. I wonder if there is any "safety/security factor" to either method.

ddeerrff

join:2002-08-30
Brookfield, WI
One of my routers allows me to enter DNS addresses that are passed to the clients machines via DHCP. The other router does not have that option and passes it's own address as DNS. I assume this second router just acts as a relay.

Both routers are configurable as to what address *they* go to for DNS info.

If nothing else, you can tell your OS network connection to use specific DNS servers instead of getting that info via DHCP.

Suit Up

join:2003-07-21
Los Angeles, CA
reply to Bucolic
Bucolic, what router are you using? When I was using a Linksys WRT54G it would pass the external DNS servers on via DHCP. With my new Netgear 3800 it only sends it's own IP adddress via DHCP (which is really annoying because I run my own local DNS server, so I have to manually configure every computer's DNS now).

scooper

join:2000-07-11
Youngsville, NC
kudos:2
reply to Bucolic
This is more of a general router question, not specific to TWC/ RoadRunner.

But yes - it depends on what router you're using and other things.

Frankly - I find that DNS relay rather annoying , as I'm someone who believes that routers should route and DNS servers should do their thing and the two NOT on the same little boxes found for most consumers. So, while I do use DHCP (often with reserved IPs ), I assign regular DNS servers to all PCs (just let the occaisional visitor use the DNS relay, as well as some other equipment that you can't set DNS directly)

Some of my older routers DO pass the DNS server to the clients, but as they can't go fast enough to fully use my cable connection - they're kept only for backups.

djrobx
Premium
join:2000-05-31
Valencia, CA
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VOIPO
reply to Bucolic
I prefer going through the router for DNS lookups so my local machines can automatically resolve by name. Typically the DNS relay coordinates with the DHCP server to add local machines that register through it.

If you have all Windows machines, Windows will fall back onto some other SMB trickery if it can't resolve by IP. But it works quicker and works with any device on my network if I go through the relay.
--
AT&T U-Hearse - RIP Unlimited Internet 1995-2011
Rethink Billable.