spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Kewliuke
join:2003-01-18
Delmar, DE

Kewliuke

Trying to convince Comcast of problem.

What could be the cause of this while downloading? I've been having problems with download speeds tanking and Comcast doesn't see a problem on my end. I'm on 50/10 Blast.

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
Premium Member
join:2001-10-01
Parsonsburg, MD

newview

Premium Member

Just as a point of reference ... I'm about 10 miles from you in Parsonsburg, MD and on the 12/2 Performance Tier.
lilstone87
join:2009-04-09
Chesapeake, VA

lilstone87

Looking at your pingplotter results, the problem occurs right after your router. Meaning one of two things, your router is having issue's, and needs to be removed. Then do some testing with pc directly connected to modem, if problem still exist. Then there seems to be some kind of local problem, at least that's what your pingplotter results point to.
harald
join:2010-10-22
Columbus, OH

1 recommendation

harald to Kewliuke

to Kewliuke
This:

"What could be the cause of this while downloading?"

Pingplotter results while downloading, or during any other internet activity, are meaningless.
medbuyer
join:2003-11-20
Memphis, TN

medbuyer to Kewliuke

to Kewliuke
I wonder what the op's downloading....

maybe torrents...??

ropeguru
Premium Member
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

ropeguru to Kewliuke

Premium Member

to Kewliuke
As medbuyer See Profile points out, what are you using to do the downloads. If you are doing torrent downloads, ensure that you client isn't saturating your upload on transfers. My initial guess is that is the case.

I can easily start normal downloads with low latencies in pingplotter then start a hefty upload and have latency go through the roof.
Kewliuke
Delmar, DE

Kewliuke to harald

to harald
Not true. I only get the high latency when my speeds tank.
Kewliuke

1 edit

Kewliuke to ropeguru

to ropeguru
It doesn't matter what I'm downloading.
Kewliuke

Kewliuke

Speeds currently in the tank.

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ

EG to Kewliuke

Premium Member

to Kewliuke
said by Kewliuke:

Not true. I only get the high latency when my speeds tank.

FWIW, these are not necessarily *mutually exclusive* properties.

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
join:2001-12-28
Seattle, WA

SeattleMatt to Kewliuke

Premium Member

to Kewliuke
Click for full size
From what others stated, it's happening between you and your local headend.

1) Take out the router if at all possible and see if it keeps happening

2) If that doesn't work, could be a local neighborhood issue.

I can ping your gateway from upstate with no issues.

noc007
join:2002-06-18
Cumming, GA

noc007 to Kewliuke

to Kewliuke
I question the accuracy of these speed tests:

Lately my download tests have been quite long with the upload test being quite short and potentially only during the initial "burst" period. My actual speeds with real usage closer resemble what I should expect between burst and sustained speeds. I'm on Business Class 12/2

fonzbear2000
Premium Member
join:2005-08-09
Saint Paul, MN

fonzbear2000 to Kewliuke

Premium Member

to Kewliuke
Did you read what Lilstone suggested?
Kewliuke
Delmar, DE

1 edit

Kewliuke

About a half-dozen times. The router isn't the problem.

Edit: I've done what was suggested a half-dozen times.

techguyga
Premium Member
join:2003-12-31

techguyga

Premium Member

Can you post tracert results while directly connected to the modem?
techguyga

techguyga to Kewliuke

Premium Member

to Kewliuke
Also, check your MTU to see what it's set at.

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium Member
join:2008-01-06

beachintech to Kewliuke

Premium Member

to Kewliuke
Please post the same ping plot with the same downloads without the router present. Then post something useful, like signal levels and modem stats.
RouterRooter
join:2001-11-22
Rockville, MD

RouterRooter to Kewliuke

to Kewliuke
Click for full size
Click for full size
Kew,

I am seeing a similar situation here in Maryland. For the last six months, the first node after my router stops pinging back for a couple minutes about three x per day but I stay connected (first pic). About every other day, the same node appears to fail and I lose connectivity (second pic). It restores itself after a couple minutes.

At all times my modem signals are fine (4x DS at 37dB SNR, 3x US at 47-50 dB level). The failing node exhibits erratic and large ping times at all times (again, see pix).

To a non-Comcast Tech (me), this would appear to be a node that is overloaded and that occasionally resets. So my query to the smart Comcast guys here is, where would this node be located -- on the street somewhere, or in a data center? And isn't active monitoring of some sort in place to pick up this kind or repetitive failure? And in any case, what would be an effective way to get CC to go look at it without having to have a tech come by the house and tighten all my connectors needlessly?

Thanks to all,
RR

whfsdude
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC

whfsdude

Premium Member

said by RouterRooter:

I am seeing a similar situation here in Maryland. For the last six months, the first node after my router stops pinging back for a couple minutes about three x per day but I stay connected (first pic).

First layer 3 hop behind you will be the CMTS. A node is just a glorified media converter so it'll be passive to you.

Best way is to open a ticket in the Comcast direct forum and let them know exactly what you are seeing. If you're using a gateway, make sure it responds to incoming ICMP so that they can observe the packet loss if they start monitoring your IP.
RouterRooter
join:2001-11-22
Rockville, MD

RouterRooter

Thanks, dude. I'll do that.

Am I just spitting in the wind to wonder why this sort of recurrent failure is not detected (for eventual remediation) by monitoring software at the CC end? (I'm a computer systems architect and under-engineered systems sort of offend me.)

Thanks again,
RR