join:2002-05-31
AZ

nightdesigns

Premium Member

[Photos] Salvagable?

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
The trusty CR-V protected me from a broadside accident and I'm hoping it will live another day. The part that concerns me the most is how far the wheel was pushed in with the trans and engine in the same area. Speed was about 35-40 MPH and my car took the brunt of it. Air bags did not deploy. All involved walked away (fortunately).

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium Member
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds

Premium Member

It looks like a total to me. If it is not a total loss, then it is very close and I bet they open it up to repair it only to then find hidden damage that takes it over the mark for being totaled.
tired_runner
Premium Member
join:2000-08-25
CT

tired_runner to nightdesigns

Premium Member

to nightdesigns
Yeah... I wouldn't keep that vehicle even if insurance decided to expend the repair costs. That's beyond cosmetics and replacement parts.

Mospaw
My socks don't match.

join:2001-01-08
New Braunfels, TX

Mospaw to nightdesigns

to nightdesigns
Glad you're OK!

Given the amount of damage and where it is, even if it's not a total loss, fixing that and getting it right will be a difficult task. Lots of stuff in that area that needs to be very precisely aligned. You'd likely not be happy with what you got back from the repair shop. Sounds like it's time to shop for your next CR-V

The Pig
I know you want to be me
Premium Member
join:2009-09-11

The Pig to nightdesigns

Premium Member

to nightdesigns
If it fixable, let them fix it and then you SELL IT!

Cho Baka
MVM
join:2000-11-23
there

Cho Baka to nightdesigns

MVM

to nightdesigns
If there is no serious mechanical damage such as a damaged trans case, then given that the airbags didn't deploy, I would expect it to be repaired.

(granted the photos are not sufficient for a proper estimate)

alkizmo
join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo to nightdesigns

to nightdesigns
That car looks new enough to be eligible for an insurance claim, not sure of the term in English, but basically that even if the car is 2-3 years old, they will simply replace it with a NEW car of the same value as when you originally purchased it.

Looks like it's structurally damaged, I wouldn't bother considering this is a perfect case for insurance claimarooooo.
billydunwood
join:2008-04-23
united state

billydunwood to nightdesigns

to nightdesigns
said by nightdesigns:

The trusty CR-V protected me from a broadside accident and I'm hoping it will live another day. The part that concerns me the most is how far the wheel was pushed in with the trans and engine in the same area. Speed was about 35-40 MPH and my car took the brunt of it. Air bags did not deploy. All involved walked away (fortunately).

If they want to fix it or they won't total it, ask for OEM/Original parts and not aftermarket. Also, try and get diminished value. If they fix your car, you lose value on the car because it now has an accident, so you should be entitled to Diminished Value depending on your state laws.
Bob4
Account deleted
join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

Bob4 to alkizmo

to alkizmo
said by alkizmo:

even if the car is 2-3 years old, they will simply replace it with a NEW car of the same value as when you originally purchased it.

What? No one's going to give him a new car to replace a 3 year old car.

digitalfutur
Sees More Than Shown
Premium Member
join:2000-07-15
GTA

digitalfutur to nightdesigns

Premium Member

to nightdesigns
How old and how many miles are on it?

alkizmo
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo to Bob4

to Bob4
said by Bob4:

Here in Quebec, yes, if you pay a little bit extra on your insurance, you can get something called (roughly translated) "As new value/Valued as if new" option. A car 5 years or younger of age, if totaled, will be replaced by a brand new one of equal purchase value.

No_Strings

join:2001-11-22
The OC

No_Strings

Similar policies can be had here, but they're rare.
Bob4
Account deleted
join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

Bob4 to alkizmo

to alkizmo
Never heard of that here. The insurance company gives you would it would cost to buy a used car identical to the one that was totalled, plus the sales tax, minus your deductible.

nightdesigns
Gone missing, back soon
Premium Member
AZ

nightdesigns to digitalfutur

Premium Member

to digitalfutur
said by digitalfutur:

23 Months, 29,500 miles.

No_Strings

join:2001-11-22
The OC

No_Strings to Bob4

to Bob4
»www.allstate.com/auto-in ··· res.aspx

Allstate advertises it. You can buy whatever level of coverage you want, as long as you can pay the price.

nightdesigns
Gone missing, back soon
Premium Member
AZ

nightdesigns

Premium Member

Adjuster won't see it until Thursday. To purchase something similar year wise and mileage is about $20k + tax, fees, etc. I'm undecided if I want a repair or replace. Either way it won't be the same.

alkizmo
Pierrefonds, QC

1 recommendation

alkizmo

said by nightdesigns:

Either way it won't be the same.

Never get emotional about cars, otherwise, it will one day prevent you to sacrifice it for someone's life.
telco_mtl
join:2012-01-06

telco_mtl to alkizmo

to alkizmo
said by alkizmo:

said by Bob4:

Here in Quebec, yes, if you pay a little bit extra on your insurance, you can get something called (roughly translated) "As new value/Valued as if new" option. A car 5 years or younger of age, if totaled, will be replaced by a brand new one of equal purchase value.

as someone who scours the scrapyards up here, i love these insurance policies, you can get an entire car like that with a VGA title for about 1500$ (VGA = in french means heavily damaged vehicle)

Jtmo
Premium Member
join:2001-05-20
Novato, CA

Jtmo to nightdesigns

Premium Member

to nightdesigns
$15,000 minimum, though labor is cheaper in AZ.
So, it depends on the value of the car.

WK2
Premium Member
join:2006-12-28
united state

WK2 to nightdesigns

Premium Member

to nightdesigns
I think you are looking at a new car my friend
walta
join:2001-05-22
Saint Louis, MO

walta to nightdesigns

to nightdesigns
You do understand what you “want” does not matter. The insurance company will do what is best for them. They will decide what your car was worth. If it is cheaper for them to fix it they will.

If you don’t like there offer they will let you sue them in about 2 years.

When they are dun then you can sell it if you want, but with a major wreck on its car fax no chance you will not get much

Walta

hortnut
Huh?
join:2005-09-25
PDX Metro

hortnut to nightdesigns

to nightdesigns
I have totaled cars based on the Estimate of Repairs.....AND..... the amount of time it will take to repair. That is adding in the total estimated cost of the Rental. And to goose it along, would make a guess that there would be hidden damage discovered during repairs and additional rental.

And the Claimant would get it out of the shop, drive for a week and discover additional damage via noise or whatever, adding more cost of repair and rental.

Many newer, nicer cars, have pushed over the edge using the above techniques as an Adjuster. Otherwise they became moneypits.

Edit: forgot a very important part of the equation - the value of the damaged vehicle as it sits or salvage value. Many times that alone pushed a car into a totaled status.

Then there is the diminution of value aspect. Though in my day rarely ran into that.

hth

The Pig
I know you want to be me
Premium Member
join:2009-09-11

The Pig to alkizmo

Premium Member

to alkizmo
said by alkizmo:

said by nightdesigns:

Either way it won't be the same.

Never get emotional about cars

Yep! it's only a piece of metal (fiberglass or whatever cheap material they use nowadays)!

Karride
Slower Traffic Keep Right
Premium Member
join:2000-04-17
Germantown, TN

1 edit

Karride to nightdesigns

Premium Member

to nightdesigns
Click for full size
I'd say get ready to get a new car.
As a comparison, here is a picture of my '07 Jetta after my nephew smacked the passenger's side wheel into a curb while I was teaching him how to drive (Tried to turn 90* at about 30mph.....what the hell boy?). Car was worth about 13K, total damage was estimated at 15K.

Hall
MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH

Hall to No_Strings

MVM

to No_Strings
said by No_Strings:

»www.allstate.com/auto-in ··· res.aspx

Allstate advertises it. You can buy whatever level of coverage you want, as long as you can pay the price.

Yeap, when alkizmo mentioned it, I knew I'd heard of something similar being available but figured it was some sort of special option that some carriers offered.

I suspect that even in QC, it's not "standard" with all carriers either.

digitalfutur
Sees More Than Shown
Premium Member
join:2000-07-15
GTA

digitalfutur to nightdesigns

Premium Member

to nightdesigns
said by nightdesigns:

said by digitalfutur:

23 Months, 29,500 miles.

Thanks. It's worth about $16K wholelsale so it's probably a write off.

nightdesigns
Gone missing, back soon
Premium Member
AZ

nightdesigns

Premium Member

If they do decide it's a total, any tips on getting a fair value? I don't expect a new car, but at least something similar. I was looking up what is available. Same model style ('09-11) with similar mileage are about $20k+fees. I also had an extended warranty ($1,000), tint ($200) and a fairly new set of tires ($800).

Also, I currently have 0.9% interest due to a special at the time. If I cannot get the same, do I have any monetary value in that?

WK2
Premium Member
united state

WK2

Premium Member

With my experience in the car sales industry, you might be able to use the equity in your current car as a bargaining chip. As per the interest rate, the banks will only go so low at a given time. You might still be able to get a good interest rate however I don't think you will be able to get 0.9%

nightdesigns
Gone missing, back soon
Premium Member
AZ

nightdesigns

Premium Member

said by WK2:

You might still be able to get a good interest rate however I don't think you will be able to get 0.9%

That's what I was figuring. Was just wondering if there's any compensation potential from the insurance side on that? A similarly priced car will be $xx more per month due to a higher rate.

WK2
Premium Member
united state

WK2

Premium Member

I've seen many things over the years. It all comes down to who the Insurance Co is, the day you are talking to them and who you are talking to.

I'll see if I can find out anything for you tomorrow.