uniqs
joejoejeo
join:2006-04-02
Bloomington, IN

4 edits

joejoejeo

iGuide A30

info between the stars(*) new info not from comcast
I have chatted with Comcast a few times and they told me that iGuide A30 is being released today to employees as a trial.
The document that this info comes from is Document ID# 1778675: "A30 Guide Overview - Job Aid"

This guide is currently only available for employee trial *(Seems like other people not just employees as noted by user slaws4)* in Fort Wayne, IN (50 participants), Springfield, MA (50 participants), and Portland, OR (2000 participants) at this time. Employees are to use the Employee Trial Portal to submit feedback/issues. Market Trial Launch Dates: Indiana - corps 9514 and 9551 (Fort Wayne DAC): August 28, 2012 Springfield, MA (Western New England Region): September 18, 2012 Portland, OR (OR & SW Washington Region): October 23, 2012. Other markets will be added as information becomes available.

Core Feature Enhancements:

Closed Captioning – Common set up options exposed within the on-screen program guide.
Where are Closed Captioning settings located?
Access to enable or disable the Closed Captioning settings is now available within the Main Menu of the on-screen program guide. To modify the Closed Captioning settings: Access the TV Guide Main Menu. Using the arrow keys to navigate to Setup and press OK/Select. Using the arrow keys to navigate to Closed Captioning Setup and press OK/Select. Using the remote control to modify the Closed Captioning and Background settings as needed and press OK/Select to confirm the settings. Note: The guide setup menu allows the customer only to turn on/off closed captioning and the captioning background. Additional settings such as Font size, Color, Service selection, etc. will require accessing use through the set top box diagnostics menu (accessed by pressing the power key to turn the set top box off and then followed by pressing the menu key on the set top box).

Help remote key enabled.

HD Zoom Feature on Motorola DCX Set-Top Boxes.

Updated "Saved Programs" delete message for Video On Demand.

Virtual Remote Control (feature) Ability to replicate these remote control commands: Pause Play FF Skip back 15 seconds Stop Ability to play a "FREE" VOD title. This will enable remote VOD tunes to behave just as if user made selection from a VOD info screen on the Set-Top Box. Previously customers needed to confirm the order with their remote.

Ability to directly play a completed recording from the customers DVR through your XFINITY TV online account.

VOD Direct Play and Virtual Remote Control features will be exclusive to the web portal version (www.xfinitytv.com) until the mobile app for iOS and Android are fully developed with those features and A30 is fully deployed. DVR Play functionality will be available once A30 is available to customers.

Enable complete remote control & tuning of Set Top Box and DVR from Mobile/Web app, focused primarily on eliminating the need for users to ever pick up their “traditional” remote. Enable remote tune attempts to be successful regardless of the state of the set-top box. Enable remote VOD tunes to behave just as if user made selection from a VOD info screen on the STB Extend remote tuning to include completed local DVR assets “Virtual Remote” capability to replicate remote control commands on Xfinity TV app.

Support for Xfinity TV app on DCT2000 family of set-tops

Ability to toggle graphic display of the on-screen program guide while watching TV in 3D mode.

There are a limited number of set top boxes that support graphic display of the on screen program guide. If you return the TV to 2D mode, the guide will display as expected. Supported set top boxes include: Motorola DCX Series Boxes and DVRs

Why did Comcast upgrade my guide?
Comcast upgraded your guide to provide you with enhancements to features including Closed Captioning, Help and Services, and MyDVR manager. We periodically perform these upgrades in order to continue to improve your cable television viewing experience.

andyross
MVM
join:2003-05-04
Aurora, IL

andyross

MVM

Re: iGuide A30`

If they are going to stream video from the box to a remote device, that must mean they are going to enable the DOCSIS modem? I don't see any other way for them to do that.
joejoejeo
Bloomington, IN

3 edits

joejoejeo

Re: iGuide A30

i dont think so. When you enable remote DVR function that enables all the recording and series and scheduled recordings to be shown and streaming will be enabled. The completed recorded are uploaded to a server and then tagged to your account so you can play them back online.
slaws4
join:2007-07-26

slaws4

I have these new features on my Motorola boxes here in Ft Wayne and I am not an employee. The zoom feature is kinda cool.
joejoejeo
Bloomington, IN

2 edits

joejoejeo

ok checking to see how i can get it
joejoejeo

1 edit

joejoejeo to slaws4

to slaws4
you are one of the trial participants (thats not true. i called comcast and the automated massage says that the guide has been updated in your area)
Can you post a reply and tell us your review of A30 and tell us what features and such that i have not listed that you noticed is new
slaws4
join:2007-07-26

slaws4

The only things I have noticed so far:

The zoom feature goes from normal, to expand, to stretch, to zoom, then back to normal.

When you type in the station numbers there is a black box with the number and station I'd below it. So when you type in 1, on D is displayed below the number. When you continue with a 133 number, on D is displayed then WFFT, my channel 13, then TNICK, the final 133 display. Kinda cool.

There is no difference in guide size. It is still 4:3

The caller ID displays a new look. Hard to explain the look but it is new.

I have not tried to watch a DVR'd program on my computer yet.

That is what I have noticed so far.
joejoejeo
Bloomington, IN

joejoejeo

thanks just post if you have found any more fixes/features
tbare54
join:2008-07-28
Fort Wayne, IN

tbare54

I to have the new a30 in Fort Wayne, on my main box, DCX3501 the hd zoom feature does not work, but on my secondary box, DCX3200 the hdzoom feature does work.
yhp
join:2006-12-27
Philadelphia, PA

1 recommendation

yhp to joejoejeo

to joejoejeo

Closed Captioning – Common set up options exposed within the on-screen program guide.

{{Applause}}
{Standing Ovation}

It's way way overdue, but this is a great announcement. Better late than never. Hope it gets to Philly soon.

HD Zoom Feature on Motorola DCX Set-Top Boxes.

It will be interesting to compare my TV's zoom and stretch performance with the DCX 3400's. Also, since I've been unable to replicate my Panasonic TV remote's zoom/stretch/back again button on my Universal remote, maybe this means I will finally be able watch TV with one remote.
joejoejeo
Bloomington, IN

2 edits

joejoejeo to tbare54

to tbare54
what is the version number of A30?
and what is the VOD Version
and the MACGclnt (ITV Engine) Version
if you can get that info
tbare54
Fort Wayne, IN

tbare54

s/w:80.47-a30.1205.r-25
joejoejeo
Bloomington, IN

joejoejeo

can you check the other versions of the software and the platform build date
here are the steps
said by »en.wikibooks.org/w/index ··· stable=0 :
Turn off the box (press POWER on the remote).
Immediately press OK/SELECT. Press it again if the display (black text on white background) does not come up within a second.
DOWN ARROW to "d08 CODE MODULES" and press OK/SELECT.

The firmware version and build date are listed at the top, e.g., "Platform Built: Version: 16.20 Sep 1 2011 15:06:09".
In the middle of the page, there is an "Object" column and a "Ver" column that lists your firmware and software versions, e.g.,
Firmware: TC_OS_ED 16.20
IPG Software: Tv_Guide 74.53
VOD Software: A231_VOD 23.45

tbare54
Fort Wayne, IN

tbare54

platform built: version: 24.58
tv_guide 80.47 mar 22 2012

macgclnt 34.58 enabled 08c5 2

scvastb_7.03

023_ir_c 24.58

motorola870
join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX

motorola870

also in a future update Comcast could enable startover/lookback features that TWC has on iGuide A30 unless these are limited to iGuide R29 which is a special release.

I noticed that the zoom feature works on iGuide R29 as well so that has been active before A30 but in very limited release as Time Warner Cable released iGuide R29 in only LA and Dallas markets I believe unless they have gotten it to their entire motorola footprint with boxes that run iGuide.

Also closed captioning in the guide was enabled with R29 as well.

You can only display black background and white text or white text only when using closed captioning through the iGuide setup menu. The fancy closed captioning options are still setup through the power down and pressing menu one time setup menu.
joejoejeo
Bloomington, IN

joejoejeo

R29 was a special release for Time Warner Cable and the features are new to Comcast customers.

motorola870
join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX

motorola870

said by joejoejeo:

R29 was a special release for Time Warner Cable and the features are new to Comcast customers.

the only real benefits I see with R29 is it seems that to have improved Startover/Lookback handling as TWC seems to have need it for some reason and A28 did not work out too well for the startover/lookback features. Also R29 is basically the introduction of Lookback, Startover, Caller ID on TV, and Possibly remote DVR for TWC customers and adds features in the last two iGuide A28 updates.

cypherstream
MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream to joejoejeo

MVM

to joejoejeo
Yeah R for "RoadRunner" I guess...

I wonder why they didn't change the look of it at all? Verizon changed the look of the Fios Guide, Dish Network's Hopper and Joey are tweaked versions of the 922 HD guide look, and of course DirecTV updated their look to a new HD guide a year ago.

I'll never go to cable as long as the UI looks like Windows 1.0.

FifthE1ement
Tech Nut
join:2005-03-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

FifthE1ement to joejoejeo

to joejoejeo
I don't know why Comcast hasn't updated their guides to HD either? Its crazy in a time when we have tablets and tiny phone screens that show so much data and great UI elements. Then you turn on your TV and it's back to the 90's for you!

I notice on the Pace RNG110 boxes on A28 the zoom feature works as well. It works just like your TV does changing the screen, stretching, etc. Zoom doesn't work on the same system with the Moto DCT/DCH/DCX boxes though, odd?

We did have the widgets which are now gone, which was one of the only "new" things Comcast has done on their boxes, lol. And it was slower than crap anyways and basically useless due to the speed. It was faster to turn to ESPN and watch the ticker than the time it would take to load the sports widget and navigate to the team you wanted, lol!

»[STB] Comcast Interactive TVs Instant Info Widgets?

The remote DVR management is the only feature from Comcast I use often and that is slower than crap too! Why can't I see what shows I have set to record from the phone app? Why can't the online or phone app tell me which shows I have recorded from the guide listings like it does on our TV? I shouldn't have to go into the DVR manager on the website and match up what I have recorded with the listings on the site for each show?

mikedz4
join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV

mikedz4 to joejoejeo

to joejoejeo
it would be nice to have channel logos and widgets. Plus the ability to watch what I record on my dvr on my computer or mobile device.
joejoejeo
Bloomington, IN

joejoejeo

thats what A30 does. it will enable you to watch what you record on your dvr on your computer or mobile device
joejoejeo

joejoejeo

I just got off the phone with Comcast and they told me that Indianapolis is suppose to get the A30 guide 3 to 4 weeks for now. But Bloomington were I am located still says to be announced.
turnerbrewer
join:2011-11-22

turnerbrewer

Is there a published schedule for the A30 guide rollout? Specifically in Georgia for the Motorola market.
Any information would be greatly appreciated.
joejoejeo
Bloomington, IN

joejoejeo

i will check to see about the Schedule but right this minute i don't have any info. i will post if i have any more info
joejoejeo

joejoejeo

on »[Comcast Equip] DVR Extender w/Moto Boxes tknex said about the DVR extender was that it requires iguide A30 for it to work
joejoejeo

joejoejeo

here is the current release schedual Indiana - corps 9514 and 9551 (Fort Wayne DAC): August 28, 2012 Springfield, MA (Western New England Region): September 18, 2012 Flint, MI- (Corps 9501 and 9506): September 26, 2012 Portland, OR (OR & SW Washington Region): October 23, 2012

Spiderman865
join:2005-12-27
Joliet, IL

Spiderman865

Any update on the Chicago region? Lately this area has been treated like a red headed stepchild.

mikedz4
join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV

mikedz4

Don't feel bad pittsburgh is the same way. They claim they added channels like pac-12, espn goal line and outdoor adventur channel (or whatever it is called) but NONE of these are HD. I'm sure someone will prove me wrong though.

grcmptrnrd1
@comcast.net

grcmptrnrd1 to joejoejeo

Anon

to joejoejeo
Also FINALLY fixes the issue with the HDMI output resetting to 720p if components were turned on in the wrong order with my AVR between the DCX-3400 and my TV!
Joe12345678
join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL

Joe12345678 to Spiderman865

to Spiderman865
also why no CLTV HD?? does CLTV SD when it's be used for CSN + SD show the watch in HD pop up?

Why not be like RCN and make it CLTV sd and CLTV HD be used for CSN + and CSN + HD.