uniqs
share rss forum feed

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL
reply to mikedz4

Re: iGuide A30

Who knows. It could have been a firmware update, a configuration update, a forced reboot due to other known issues, or just the box crashing.

andyross
Premium,MVM
Schaumburg, IL
reply to joejoejeo
Another Monday morning, another DB reset loop.

BigBearsFan

join:2009-08-01
Galesburg, IL
reply to dishrich
We received A30 overnight last night.Haven't had time to check it out much yet.Got a notice on the box that internet speeds are going to double soon.Next step is X-1 .How long will that take.(probably end of 2013)

mariod

join:2009-06-16
reply to joejoejeo
I notiuced a bunch of updates to the DVR menu in A30 yesterday.

There are new submenus to the DVR page:

1) Search and record shows based on director or actor last name.
2) Search and record based on show title
3) Import your online Queue of shows and look for them On Demand.

wolf0621

@comcast.net
Also getting these periodic A30 guide updates. Many times they "break" my HDMI handshake between the box, the av receiver & the tv (all are HDMI-connected & none have a direct internet connection for auto-updates except for the cable box). This means the first time after the update the components fail to sync up & I have to physically power cycle the converter (RNG200N) which then re-establishes that handshake, and I'm fine from that point on. This has probably happened 3 times now within the past 6 weeks or so. More of a nuisance than anything else really, losing the online guide for a while until it reloads...

andyross
Premium,MVM
Schaumburg, IL
reply to joejoejeo
3rd Monday morning in a row: Guide data wiped out and diagnostics show it has purged. At 6:15AM, it showed it had purged twice. I'm guessing the initial purge is sometime between 1 and 3AM.

mikedz4

join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV
looks like they didn't do a reset here but I do notice the queue button on my menu.

SpHeRe31459
Premium
join:2002-10-09
Sacramento, CA
kudos:2
reply to joejoejeo
Is there a place for status updates on the A30 rollout? Like a Comcast blog post or something. I didn't see a link anywhere. I'd be interested to know when it'll be coming to California.

Though with the troubling guide data purge bugs, I dunno if I'm in any hurry to get A30 just yet...

andyross
Premium,MVM
Schaumburg, IL
said by SpHeRe31459:

Is there a place for status updates on the A30 rollout? Like a Comcast blog post or something. I didn't see a link anywhere. I'd be interested to know when it'll be coming to California.

Though with the troubling guide data purge bugs, I dunno if I'm in any hurry to get A30 just yet...

So far, I've gone through 2 weekends without the purge. I think there is a bug in A30 involving manual recordings (VCR-style recordings where you set start/end and channel.) Or maybe just manual recordings that are set to repeat (mine was set to repeat every Sunday night.)

SpHeRe31459
Premium
Sacramento, CA
reply to SpHeRe31459
My Pace RNG110 in my bedroom just got A30 last night. I came into the bedroom to watch some TV before bed and noticed the channel numbers as I pressed them on the screen looked a bit different, and I checked the guide software version.

My Motorola DVR in the living room hasn't gotten A30 yet... I would bet that comes in a day or so, if it's like the other guide updates.

mgmgmg

join:2002-09-08
Minneapolis, MN

1 edit
reply to joejoejeo
My RNG 150N just got the A30 last week but my Motorola DCH3200 still has A28.....

SpHeRe31459
Premium
Sacramento, CA
I assume you mean it still has A28...

My DVR is a DCH series too

From reading through this thread, one person reported two weeks difference between his Pace box and his Moto DVR getting it. So I guess it's being done in phases probably by newer hardware and then older hardware or by vendor with the Pace image being first. I remember the A28 push was somewhat similar.

SpHeRe31459
Premium
Sacramento, CA
Well sheesh! it's been since I last posted on 4/18 and my DVR (DCH 3416) is still on A28 while my Pace RNG110 is on A30. Anyone know what gives?

mgmgmg

join:2002-09-08
Minneapolis, MN
reply to joejoejeo
My dch3200 just got the a30 last night.....i dont see any difference? what are the advantages with the a30?

telcodad
Premium
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:15

1 recommendation

Didn't you read the first post(s) of this thread?

SpHeRe31459
Premium
Sacramento, CA
reply to mgmgmg
Yep now my DCH 3416 has A30 too. I'm looking forward to trying out the enhanced remote DVR management and remote control features.

Vinoh

@comcast.net
reply to joejoejeo
Just got A30 in San Jose, CA.

wiggum

join:2003-05-05
Seattle, WA
reply to joejoejeo
A30 here in western WA.

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ
said by Vinoh :

Just got A30 in San Jose, CA.

said by wiggum:

A30 here in western WA.

Looks like the Western areas should complete their updates to A30 by the end of this week:

quote:
For our customers in Utah (and other western states) this guide update is being done by box type across multiple areas in order to accelerate deployments and to make it a little easier on our business and operations.

The remaining boxes (DCX models) should be on A30 this week. Thanks for your patience.

SPOOZ

join:2011-06-20
Lafayette, CO
reply to joejoejeo
My DCX3200 P1 rebooted Tuesday night.
I tried to go into the About menu the next day to see what version of the iGuide it has, but I got an error that the menu was not available.

I also noticed that deleting messages from Comcast takes at least 20 seconds now where on A28 it was instant.
Not really an improvement.

FifthE1ement
Tech Nut

join:2005-03-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

4 edits
reply to joejoejeo
A30 has finally hit South Florida! Whoot whoot! All DCX3400's updated tonight at 3am EST! The box info now says:

S/W Ver: 80.48 - a30.1210.r-27
Model: ASTB-0x0805
Firmware: 24.37

The model number is weird, no? It used to say DCT as the model. Is there anyway to tell if eSTATA recoding has been enabled? I tried it but it doesn't seem to be working? When I go into the Power Off then quickly OK/select button and navigate to Interface / Port Status it used to have an eSTATA port option I believe which is now gone? The update added Dolby Volume, brightness dimmer for LED screen on front of box, 1080P pass-though, subtitles now in the menu (rather than hidden in hidden box settings), auto power down (hard drive or no input?), new HD logo on channels, guide and show info, Xfinity TV que looks to be similar to Netflix que (can set shows to watch and have it notify you or find the show for you automatically (pretty cool but implementation is bad), I can now view, delete, etc my recordings in the MyDVR manager rather than just what was to be recorded later and series priority (although it's not working yet as I don't think the boxes have synced yet?), zoom feature works, remote control from the web (although its slow laggy and buggy all at once), channel input number and name is cool (when you type a number it tells you the channel identifier eg: 301 HBOHD although Comcast identifiers are vague and small do you know what MMAX is, lol), guide is always in 4:3 even on 480 channels (old version had 16:9 on 480 content), new message when deleting shows from saved list on VOD.

If anyone has any question I'll be happy to test and answer?

EDIT: No joke Comcast said in the External DVR PDF file that Florida would be added on June 3rd and dang were they on the money for once! My main question is that I want to get a DVR expander but it says on the Comcast site that the DCX3400 is not supported yet some of you have it working? I think they may have disabled the eSATA which is why it doesn't appear in the list in the hidden menu?

»media2.comcast.net/anon.comcasto···4-13.pdf

Thanks in advance,

5th
--
"The relationship between what we see and what we know is never settled..."

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
kudos:3
Do you have channel filtering enabled with A30 as well? Why I ask is I've seen 2 A30 boxes at different residence.

One was a DCT-700. All the HD channels were completely hidden from the guide.

Another was an RNG-110. Friend subs to Limited basic and HBO. A whole bunch of unsubscribed channels do not even show up in the GUIDE view. (missing 28-54,56-70,a few in the 100's gone, 816-831 gone) However (as expected) it's a half-assed attempt at guide filtering. While many channels do not show up at all, there's quite a bunch that do show up and "Not Authorized" (as expected with his package).

Also theres an EAS channel (displays colorbars) on Ch 1994 (or something). When I lived in the area EAS worked fine without issues. However there was no visible EAS channel. Is this now required with A30?

A28 was the last i-Guide version I've had before I moved out of the service area.

dishrich

join:2006-05-12
Springfield, IL
Cyph, that has nothing to do with any type of "guide filtering" - it has everything to do with which channel map(s) is pushed out to an individual subs digital boxes AND DTA's, actually - based on which (basic) tier that sub is subscribed to. When CC started offering DTA's to subs other that had expanded basic, they started using different channel maps (primarly for the DTA's) to effectively prevent limited subs from seeing channels outside that service tier.

I know this because I used to be a limited sub almost 2 years ago. (long before A30) When I was limited, the ONLY channels I had in my guides & on the DTA's, was our limited basic lineup. (well there were a couple of extra ones that were NOT part of limited basic - but I still got them anyway )
When I got upgrade to my X3 play, ALL the channels became visable on ALL my boxes/DTA's; of course, any non-subbed channels came up as "NA".

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
Reading, PA
Ok like for example 28-54 is missing on his limited basic service. If I type in 55 it attempts to tune CMT. It says CMT - Not Authorized.

If you click the watch in HD button, it takes you to the 800 some channel number for CMT HD and says "CMT HD - Not Authorized". However this channel number does not appear in the guide at all. So it seems you can direct tune channels.

Anyway its faulty. When I lived in the area I had A28. The DCT-700 still showed HD channels (of course it couldn't tune them). Now it seems they send you only what you get, plus a handful of other random, sporadic ones that are "Not Authorized".

The Q

join:2008-06-26
Collegeville, PA
my guess is that your friend just got pushed a bad (incorrect) channel map based on what you described and nothing to do with the guide software of firmware version that he may have.

dishrich

Springfield, IL
reply to cypherstream
said by cypherstream:

Ok like for example 28-54 is missing on his limited basic service. If I type in 55 it attempts to tune CMT. It says CMT - Not Authorized...

Right; evidently whoever at CC typed in this channel map, put in additional channels that should NOT have been included in LB. BUT, because now CC is now using service tiers on these boxes, that's why it comes up NA.

Anyway its faulty. When I lived in the area I had A28. The DCT-700 still showed HD channels (of course it couldn't tune them). Now it seems they send you only what you get, plus a handful of other random, sporadic ones that are "Not Authorized".

And you would be surprised because???
Again, my point being none of this has anything to do with any type of "guide filtering"; obviously there's errors on these channel maps.
I have one worse than all that - on our SD-DTA's, for the longest time, they had ONE of our local PBS's HD feed mapped on the DTA's. Of course you could tune it in, but all you would get would be sound & no picture.
They FINALLY fixed it & removed it from the SD-DTA's a few months ago; they probably caught it when they were setting up the channel maps for the new HD-DTA's...

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ
said by dishrich:

And you would be surprised because???
Again, my point being none of this has anything to do with any type of "guide filtering"; obviously there's errors on these channel maps.
I have one worse than all that - on our SD-DTA's, for the longest time, they had ONE of our local PBS's HD feed mapped on the DTA's. Of course you could tune it in, but all you would get would be sound & no picture.
They FINALLY fixed it & removed it from the SD-DTA's a few months ago; they probably caught it when they were setting up the channel maps for the new HD-DTA's...

Depending on the particular chipset and design that is used, some brands/models of SD-DTAs do have the ability to tune to and display an HD channel in standard definition. See: »Re: [DTA] Motorola's High Definition Digital Transport Adapter

FifthE1ement
Tech Nut

join:2005-03-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL
reply to cypherstream
said by cypherstream:

Do you have channel filtering enabled with A30 as well? Why I ask is I've seen 2 A30 boxes at different residence.

One was a DCT-700. All the HD channels were completely hidden from the guide.

Another was an RNG-110. Friend subs to Limited basic and HBO. A whole bunch of unsubscribed channels do not even show up in the GUIDE view. (missing 28-54,56-70,a few in the 100's gone, 816-831 gone) However (as expected) it's a half-assed attempt at guide filtering. While many channels do not show up at all, there's quite a bunch that do show up and "Not Authorized" (as expected with his package).

Also theres an EAS channel (displays colorbars) on Ch 1994 (or something). When I lived in the area EAS worked fine without issues. However there was no visible EAS channel. Is this now required with A30?

A28 was the last i-Guide version I've had before I moved out of the service area.

To answer your question, no all my channels show whether I am authorized for them or not in the guide (So I think the answer to your question is no?). Also in South Florida we don't have channels in the 1000's, and I haven't been able to find an EAS channel although I've looked through the guide.

As for DTA's or boxes displaying HD channels in SD I know all the moto boxes can do it (DCT and above) although I don't know about the DTA's as the ones I've seen won't tune an HD channel.

Now, can anyone answer my question about the DVR expander and eSATA? Also did anyone else in South Florida get the update? The MyDVR manager refuses to sync to some of my boxes and it shows I have no history or shows recorded on the boxes? How long does it take? Thanks.

5th
--
"The relationship between what we see and what we know is never settled..."

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
Reading, PA
reply to dishrich
I'm just wondering if the ability to tailor the guide listing is an A30 feature. Like I said back when I lived within the system, you saw the full guide, 1 to 999 on every box. Whatever you didn't pay for you got the NA screen. The difference? I-Guide A28 was installed on the system back then.

I do remember for a long time ch 55 CMT worked fine, even in Limited Basic mode. Funny, fast forward a few years later CMT shows up in this new limited basic map, but finally they fixed the authorization thing for it.

It was a weird lineup. big random holes between 27 and 1999. Guess they don't have a QC person to double check the various tiers. It'd be a great idea if it was accurate. Another great idea would be HD Auto Tune to HD boxes. Seeing they can be sent a separate map. 95% of the time people punch in the single / double digit number and never even watch HD in the 790+ range.

dishrich

Springfield, IL

1 edit
said by cypherstream:

I'm just wondering if the ability to tailor the guide listing is an A30 feature.

And I'm saying NO, because we obviously did NOT have A30 back in those days - & our guide listings (actually service level specifc channel maps) were customized on our system back then, as I have indicated.

Another great idea would be HD Auto Tune to HD boxes. Seeing they can be sent a separate map.

You mean like how TWC is going to be doing it across all their systems:

»www.timewarnercable.com/en/resid···eup.html

Yea, sure would be nice...maybe in another decade CC will get around to something sensible like this (but doubtful they will... )