share rss forum feed

FifthE1ement
Tech Nut

join:2005-03-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL
reply to andyross

Re: iGuide A30

said by andyross:

And then you have millions of pissed off customers if something goes wrong. They tend to start with a very small area to look for major bugs. Then expand to find more bugs.

Also, in some cases, there could be changes needed at the head ends to support certain features.

No offense Andy, as I love chatting with you, but Comcast has used this method every time they have launched any guide software and it's still always loaded with bugs. I really think the point is moot. I think the real reason they don't push more areas at the same time is that their infrastructure is so unorganized and old that they first can't coordinate their efforts and second when they finally due I think the hardware fails.
--
"The relationship between what we see and what we know is never settled..."

mikedz4

join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV
I do believe (correct me if i'm wrong) that we all got iguide at the same time.

Russ6

join:2011-03-17
Houston, TX
kudos:1
reply to FifthE1ement
said by FifthE1ement:

said by andyross:

And then you have millions of pissed off customers if something goes wrong. They tend to start with a very small area to look for major bugs. Then expand to find more bugs.

Also, in some cases, there could be changes needed at the head ends to support certain features.

No offense Andy, as I love chatting with you, but Comcast has used this method every time they have launched any guide software and it's still always loaded with bugs. I really think the point is moot. I think the real reason they don't push more areas at the same time is that their infrastructure is so unorganized and old that they first can't coordinate their efforts and second when they finally due I think the hardware fails.

The S26 Guide update for SA/Cisco STBs is the perfect example of this. It was deployed to about 12% of Comcast's SA/Cisco STB customers before it was halted in September to fix bugs. It is scheduled to restart being deployed this month. The deployment was scheduled to be finished this year, but now the deployment is scheduled to end in early 2013.

The S25 Guide deployment also had to be stopped to fix bugs.
--
SA 8300 HD DVRs with Patched S25 Guide
Links:
'S25 Guide Blog' 'Schedule' 'Info' 'Patch Thread'

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL
reply to FifthE1ement
said by FifthE1ement:

said by andyross:

It may depend on the level of the bug, too. They may also be getting a bit more careful given the SA issues Russ mentioned. I think A28 may have rushed out despite some bugs because they were on a timeline to announce certain features, like MyDVR.

moulder3

join:2007-05-21
Boston, MA
reply to joejoejeo
Has anyone that has A30 actually tried this reported feature:
Ability to directly play a completed recording from the customers DVR through your XFINITY TV online account.

I'm mostly excited about A30 for this feature, but I haven't seen anyone actually comment on using it (making me wonder if it's really included)

The Q

join:2008-06-26
Collegeville, PA
reply to mikedz4
said by mikedz4:

I do believe (correct me if i'm wrong) that we all got iguide at the same time.

I recall differently, that the rollout took some time and was site by site...

joejoejeo

join:2006-04-02
Bloomington, IN

1 edit
reply to moulder3
said by moulder3:

Has anyone that has A30 actually tried this reported feature:
Ability to directly play a completed recording from the customers DVR through your XFINITY TV online account.

I'm mostly excited about A30 for this feature, but I haven't seen anyone actually comment on using it (making me wonder if it's really included)

they told me that it is not initially turned on there website would have to be partly rewritten and they dont have the servers setup at the capacity to the customers who are going to get A30. they will first get the servers up and running and tested before they turn on the feature on the website

joejoejeo

Bloomington, IN
reply to joejoejeo
here are the current areas that have iGuide A30:
Indiana corps 9514 and 9551 (Fort Wayne DAC): August 28, 2012 Springfield, MA (Western New England Region): September 18, 2012 Flint, MI corps 9501 and 9506: September 26, 2012 Westland, MI corps 9589, 9588, and 9520: October 10-11, 2012 Sterling Heights corps 9507, 9558, 9564, 9591: October 16-18, 2012 Taylor (Heartland Region-Corps 6102, 6105): October 29-30, 2012 and November 1, 2012

here are the upcoming areas that are going to get iGuide A30:
Carmel/Bristol (Greater Boston Region): November 8, 2012 Derry (Greater Boston Region): November 12, 2012 Mashpee (Greater Boston Region): November 12, 2012 Philly Area 2 (Freedom Region-Corp 1691): November 13, 2012 Lansing (Heartland Region): November 13,2012 Exeter (Greater Boston Region): November 13, 2012 Portland: November 13, 2012 Bucks (Freedom Region-Corp 9517): November 15, 2012 Maynard (Greater Boston Region): November 15, 2012 Champaign (Greater Chicago): November 21, 2012 Rockford (Greater Chicago): November 26, 2012 Grand Rapids (Heartland): November 27, 2012 CPA West/State College (Keystone): November 27, 2012 Central New Jersey (Freedom): November 27, 2012 Vero Beach (Florida): November 28, 2012 Augusta (Big South): November 29, 2012 Delco/Chester (Freedom): November 29, 2012

mikedz4

Weirton, WV
is cpa west, pittsburgh also or just state college?

tknex

join:2012-10-03

1 recommendation

reply to joejoejeo
This is not true. The feature enables you to use your XFINITY TV online account to start a DVR recording on your TV just like you can change a channel. You will NOT be able to watch DVR recordings anywhere but on your TV.

joejoejeo

Bloomington, IN
thnex you don't have a source for your info like I do. your true that you can start watching a recording on your tv by selecting it online. But in the future they will enable the feature that is in A30 that will let you watch certain programs will be uploaded to Comcast servers much like the dvr info is uploaded to the Comcast servers, so you can watch it on your computer or tablet

The Q

Collegeville, PA
reply to tknex
said by tknex:

This is not true. The feature enables you to use your XFINITY TV online account to start a DVR recording on your TV just like you can change a channel. You will NOT be able to watch DVR recordings anywhere but on your TV.

Yes, that sounds right based on what I have read...

»www.engadget.com/2012/10/12/comc···-update/

joejoejeo

Bloomington, IN

2 edits
im going to check into this for all you guys

i got an update on it from somebody at comcast and it's going to be through the web portal or XFINITY TV App. It has not been enabled yet on xfinitytv.comcast.net yet or the Xfinity TV app.

joejoejeo

Bloomington, IN
reply to joejoejeo
here is an updated list of current areas as of today that have iGuide A30:
Indiana corps 9514 and 9551 (Fort Wayne DAC): August 28, 2012 Springfield, MA (Western New England Region): September 18, 2012 Flint, MI corps 9501 and 9506: September 26, 2012 Westland, MI corps 9589, 9588, and 9520: October 10-11, 2012 Sterling Heights corps 9507, 9558, 9564, 9591: October 16-18, 2012 Taylor (Heartland Region-Corps 6102, 6105): October 29-30, 2012 and November 1, 2012 Carmel/Bristol (WNE): November 12, 2012 Derry (GBR): November 12, 2012

Here is an updated list of areas getting iGuide A30 as of today:
Mashpee (GBR): 11/13 Exeter (GBR): 11/13 Lansing (Heartland) : 11/13 Portland: 11/13 Maynard (GBR): 11/15 Chicago (Champaign): 11/21 Chicago (Rockford): 11/26 Grand Rapids (Heartland): 11/27 CPA West / State College (Keystone): 11/27 Philly Area 2 (Freedom): 11/27 Vero Beach (Florida): 11/28 Augusta (Big South): 11/29 Bucks (Freedom) : 12/4 Delco/Chester (Freedom): 12/6 Central NJ (Freedom): 12/18

tknex

join:2012-10-03

1 recommendation

reply to joejoejeo
said by joejoejeo:

thnex you don't have a source for your info like I do. your true that you can start watching a recording on your tv by selecting it online. But in the future they will enable the feature that is in A30 that will let you watch certain programs will be uploaded to Comcast servers much like the dvr info is uploaded to the Comcast servers, so you can watch it on your computer or tablet

Quick to make judgement without having a clue how I get my information.

The Q

Collegeville, PA
reply to joejoejeo
said by joejoejeo:

im going to check into this for all you guys

i got an update and it is through the web portal or XFINITY TV App. it has not been enabled yet on xfinitytv.comcast.net yet

I don't think what you described is related to the A30 guide though; what you described sounds like an update to the XFINITY TV app...

ComcastTech

join:2008-05-31
reply to joejoejeo
The whole thing is stupid. Who cares about 3/4 of what was listed as part of the update? If the UI isn't update, then its not worth even posting.

mikedz4

Weirton, WV
reply to joejoejeo
what is central pa west?
What is this update about?

mikedz4

Weirton, WV
reply to The Q
I can already start a dvr recording online. I have a28 but I'm in a Motorola area.

Russ6

join:2011-03-17
Houston, TX
kudos:1
reply to mikedz4
said by mikedz4:

what is central pa west?
What is this update about?

Read the first post in this thread to see what the update is about.

joejoejeo

Bloomington, IN
reply to mikedz4
there was an update that people have said that they already recieved this feature which is wrong. the feature you recieved is to watch a record on the tv by selecting it online. in A30 you would have the ability to watch it online through xfinitytv.comcast.net and the xfinity tv app natively.

chadb97

join:2009-07-14
Osceola, IN
reply to ComcastTech
my thoughts exactly.

mikedz4

Weirton, WV
reply to joejoejeo
OK so I can watch my recording on saturday night live FROM my DVR 10 miles away while I am on lunch at work on my android cell phone?

bgoodbody
Bill G

join:2002-05-08
North Truro, MA
reply to joejoejeo
Mashpee, MA did not get it yet. 11/14/2012 after reboot

I have a DCX3400
--
- Bill

gdio53

join:2000-07-30
Feeding Hills, MA
reply to joejoejeo
said by joejoejeo:

there was an update that people have said that they already recieved this feature which is wrong. the feature you recieved is to watch a record on the tv by selecting it online. in A30 you would have the ability to watch it online through xfinitytv.comcast.net and the xfinity tv app natively.

Not true, I have had the a30 guide (Springfield, MA area) for a while and cannot watch my recorded shows online or with the mobile app.

I can use the online system to start watching a recorded show on my TV.

mikedz4

Weirton, WV
I don't see how you will be able to watch recorded shows on your computer or mobile device UNLESS your content is recorded on a server somewhere or they can use a VPN.

The Q

Collegeville, PA
reply to joejoejeo
said by joejoejeo:

in A30 you would have the ability to watch it online through xfinitytv.comcast.net and the xfinity tv app natively.

That would be awesome.

I did read about trademark application for the term DOWNLOAD2GO that may possibly be for customers to be able to download on demand or DVR content via a mobile app to watch (in addition or instead of live streaming) but that is the app and probably not triggered by or related to the A30 guide...

source: »www.fiercecable.com/story/comcas···12-10-08

joejoejeo

Bloomington, IN
reply to gdio53
they have not enabled the feature yet on there servers and website and updated there app. when more people get A30 they will turn it on. they dont have the capacity yet to enable that feature. as for mikedz4 they are uploaded to a server and tagged as yours like it is now for the info in the my DVR feature online

mikedz4

Weirton, WV
so comcast is moving our recordings to "the cloud" in order for us to watch them anywhere?

bgoodbody
Bill G

join:2002-05-08
North Truro, MA
reply to joejoejeo
Live now out of Mashpee, MA

All of Cape Cod...
--
- Bill