Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to chachazz

Premium Member

to chachazz

Re: Warning: 0-Day vulnerability in Java 7

I have Java 6 update 7 (still says "Sun" on the about tab).

I don't see how all these security folks can say that Java is not needed. Do all internet users except myself have perfect speed at all times from their ISP? If not, then Java is needed as the ONLY decent speed tests are Java based. Plus, I have an application that I bought that requires it. I'm sure envious of all these folks with perfect speed all the time...wow.

JALevinworth
@embarqhsd.net

JALevinworth

Anon

said by Mele20:

I'm curious, Mele. Why are you still using version 6? and also update 7? The last update to 6 was 34. Between there (7-34) there have been a boat load of security fixes. I'm sure you have a reason but can't figure it out.

-Jim
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

said by JALevinworth :

said by Mele20:

I'm curious, Mele. Why are you still using version 6? and also update 7? The last update to 6 was 34. Between there (7-34) there have been a boat load of security fixes. I'm sure you have a reason but can't figure it out.

-Jim

Over the years, I have had a lot of trouble with Java installations/uninstallations. Probably more trouble with them than problems with Flash. (Years ago, I really liked Microsoft's stolen version of Java because it worked so much better than Sun's -which would be expected since Microsoft made it to run on their software - and installed properly so I always used it).

I have Process Guard and I have never told it to "Always Allow" Java to run. Thus, I get a popup from Process Guard if I go to a web page where Java is needed. Since the only time I need Java is when I have deliberately gone to a Web 100 server site to do a Java speed test or, more likely, opened my owned MySpeed software to run speed tests every so many minutes, or gone to VusualWare's web based Java speed tests (which are the best and most accurate of all speed tests), I am not about to say "yes" to Process Guard's popup about starting Java if I got a popup unexpectedly. So, I feel reasonably safe to use an old version. I think I recall it wouldn't uninstall. I have had that problem umpteen times on XP and on 98SE before that so I left it at that early version of Java 6. I suppose a Web 100 test server could become compromised, but unlikely. I belong to the Web100 list serv. I don't always read all the messages but that group of IT people are conscientious about the tests and keeping their servers up to date and it is unlikely one of their servers would become compromised. Plus, they are involved in the FCC broadband tests for which I am a panelist, hence another reason for them to not have compromised servers.

I rarely do dslr speed tests these days (used to do them a lot) but there again the Java ones here are much better than the flash ones.

This is probably the best speed test on the net. It is NOT a capacity test as almost all other speed tests Java or Flash are. It is a quality test. The site owner is a member here. It requires Java because it is a VisualWare test. He has dedicated high quality servers in several Mainland locations and recently put one in Los Angeles which is perfect for me in Hawaii.

»www.ispgeeks.com/wild/mo ··· lityTest

fritz43
Premium Member
join:2004-03-14

fritz43 to JALevinworth

Premium Member

to JALevinworth
From How-to Geek:

"As usual, theres yet another security hole in the Java Runtime Environment, and if you dont disable your Java plugin, youre at risk for being infected with malware. Heres how to do it.

Security holes are nothing new, but in this case, the security hole is really bad, and theres no telling when Oracle will get around to fixing the problem. Plus, how often do you really need Java while browsing the web? Why keep it around?
Should You Disable Java or Uninstall it?

Ideally, both. Otherwise:

If you dont rely on any applications that use Java, and you dont visit any sites that require Java in the browser, you should just completely remove the entire framework from your computer.
If you use applications that require Java, you should disable the plugin in the browser.
If you are forced to use Java in the browser for a specific site, you should disable Java in your main browser, and then use an alternate browser just for that one single site.

For regular users, theres very little reason to keep Java around.

Note: many readers pointed out that the fun and extremely geeky game Minecraft requires Java. Obviously if youre a geek, you deserve some Minecraft�€“but you should still disable the Java plugin in the browser.
How to Uninstall Java Entirely

Just like anything else, you need to head to Control Panel �€“> Uninstall Programs and uninstall it from there. Find anything else that has Java, JRE, JDK, or anything similar, and click the Uninstall button�€”it is completely free, so you can easily reinstall it if you really have to."

Agree? Disagree?