Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

Re: Who copied who?

said by fifty nine:

Before the iPhone, every phone looked different. I owned a few pre iPhone smartphones.

After the iPhone, every phone looked like the iPhone.

Who copied who?

Yep looks EXACTLY like an Iphone.

fifty nine

join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ
kudos:2

said by 88615298:

said by fifty nine:

Before the iPhone, every phone looked different. I owned a few pre iPhone smartphones.

Who copied who?

[att=1]

Pretty much. The patents involved weren't for the looks of the hardware though, it was about UI elements. Where is the real keyboard?

jseymour

join:2009-12-11
Waterford, MI

1 recommendation

said by fifty nine:

Well, everything becomes "obvious" when someone invents it.

Show me the "invention." Innovation? Okay: I'll grant that. But "innovation" doesn't necessarily equate to "invention." To qualify for patent protection, a thing must be unique and non-obvious. I'll even grant you "unique." But non-obvious? Hardly. It was an obvious evolutionary step. It's just that Apple took it first.

said by fifty nine:

Pretty much. The patents involved weren't for the looks of the hardware though, it was about UI elements. Where is the real keyboard?

So Apple took the touch-screen tablet idea (had been around for quite some time), shrank it down to phone size, and made it work. Now nobody else is allowed to make a touch-screen-only phone? Seriously? That's your argument? Do you see anybody else getting a lock on using touch-screen-only controls on their products?

Jim

fifty nine

join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ
kudos:2

Everything is obvious when someone invents it.

I'm sure the automobile and penicillin was obvious too.

Cheese
Premium
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL
kudos:1

Except, again, Apple didn't invent any of it.
LucasLee

join:2010-11-26
kudos:1
said by jseymour:

To qualify for patent protection, a thing must be unique and non-obvious. I'll even grant you "unique." But non-obvious? Hardly. It was an obvious evolutionary step. It's just that Apple took it first.

you're making a normative argument while Apple is dealing with a positive reality.

you're saying "this is how things should be", while Apple is playing the patent game as it must currently be played.

if they don't defend their patents, they will essentially lose their protection under the law.

i believe there is an ol' saying that goes something like, "don't hate the player, hate the game."

Zaber
When all are gone, there shall be none

join:2000-06-08
Cleveland, OH
said by fifty nine:

You do realize that the HTC Touch was released before the IPhone, and it also does not have a keyboard.

Guess Apple's wasn't the first phone without a physical keyboard. Next time you are going to spew this "stuff" from you mouth at least fact check it, failure to do so show you as an ignorant "fan boy" who has no clue what is is talking about.
--
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, teach a man to fish and he will feed himself for a lifetime

Metatron2008
Premium
join:2008-09-02
united state
said by fifty nine:

said by 88615298:

said by fifty nine:

Who copied who?

[att=1]

You mean a UI based on UNIX that Apple copied?

Go learn something fruit fanboy.