join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ
kudos:2
reply to ArrayList

Re: Who copied who?

said by ArrayList:

quote:
every phone looked like the iPhone.
really? the iPhone is pretty distinctive and I've only seen similarities with it on knockoff Chinese backalley brands. Samsung's devices always look significantly different IMO. I can always tell the difference.

I was referring to the fact that everyone criticized Apple for not having a keyboard, now the iPhone like design with a virtual keyboard instead of a physical one is "obvious."

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4
said by fifty nine:

I was referring to the fact that everyone criticized Apple for not having a keyboard, now the iPhone like design with a virtual keyboard instead of a physical one is "obvious."

There have been 'virtual' keyboards on touchscreen devices of all shapes and sizes for at least 20 years. Just because Apple put one on a smaller form factor device does not make it unique and worthy of protection by the courts or a clearly delusional jury.

en103

join:2011-05-02
Right - HTC had WinMo devices with virtual keyboards (with stylus)

fifty nine

join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ
kudos:2
reply to MaynardKrebs
said by MaynardKrebs:

said by fifty nine:

There have been 'virtual' keyboards on touchscreen devices of all shapes and sizes for at least 20 years. Just because Apple put one on a smaller form factor device does not make it unique and worthy of protection by the courts or a clearly delusional jury.

But Apple made one that was a smash hit, then everyone ran to copy it.

ArrayList
netbus developer
Premium
join:2005-03-19
Brighton, MA
just because it was the popular one doesn't mean you made it first.

jseymour

join:2009-12-11
Waterford, MI
reply to fifty nine
said by fifty nine:

said by MaynardKrebs:

said by fifty nine:

That still doesn't make it worthy of patent protection. Again: Patent protection requires the thing be both unique and non-obvious. A touch screen to control a phone was a blatantly obvious evolutionary path.

It wasn't that long ago that nobody had navigation systems in their cars, nor Bluetooth, keyless entry, keyless start, voice recognition... the list goes on and on. So just because, one year, some-or-another auto manufacturer added a navigation system to their dash, now nobody else can do that? Integrated wireless safety/diagnostics system, such as OnStar? Heads up displays?

Of course not, because those are rather obvious evolutionary advancements. Heads up displays have been in aircraft, particularly military aircraft, for years. It was only a matter of time before the technology advanced to the point where it was economically feasible to stick one in a car. So somebody did. Not revolutionary. Not even particularly innovative. The surprise would've been if it hadn't happened by now.

There's simply nothing revolutionary about a touch screen user interface. The technology simply finally evolved to the point where small, reliable, usable displays worked and somebody (Apple, in this case) thought "No need for the physical keyboard anymore. Let's try it."

You don't see the GPS manufacturers suing one another because one of them (Garmin, probably) was the first one out with a touch screen device.

Jim

Morac
Cat god

join:2001-08-30
Riverside, NJ
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

said by jseymour:

You don't see the GPS manufacturers suing one another because one of them (Garmin, probably) was the first one out with a touch screen device.

In car GPS navigation patents:

»www.google.com/patents/US5684704
»www.google.com/patents/US5754430

Garmin vs TomTom and Microsoft vs TomTom Lawsuits:

»www.gpsreview.net/tomtom-success···lawsuit/
»www.theregister.co.uk/2006/12/28···lawsuit/
»pulse2.com/2009/02/25/microsoft-···olation/

Your next non-researched point?

Just because you claim something is obvious, doesn't mean it is.
--
The Comcast Disney Avatar has been retired.

jseymour

join:2009-12-11
Waterford, MI
said by Morac:

Your next non-researched point?

I did not say GPS manufacturers didn't have patent battles. Those are patents on the operation of (in-car) navigation systems, not patents on the rather obvious idea of, you know, putting a navigation system into a car. Furthermore, none of them appears to be about the use of a touch screen used in conjunction with a GPS device.

said by Morac:

Just because you claim something is obvious, doesn't mean it is.

Of course not. Then again: It might well be.

Jim

It's cool, I'm takin it back
Premium
join:2000-03-14
Dallas, TX
reply to ArrayList
said by ArrayList:

just because it was the popular one doesn't mean you made it first.

exactly!!!

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX
Reviews:
·row44
reply to fifty nine
said by fifty nine:

said by ArrayList:

quote:
every phone looked like the iPhone.
really? the iPhone is pretty distinctive and I've only seen similarities with it on knockoff Chinese backalley brands. Samsung's devices always look significantly different IMO. I can always tell the difference.

I still criticize them for not having a keyboard.
No keyboard = not a serious phone.

As for keyboardless touch screen keyboard devices, I had a Palm PDA in 2003 that had a touch screen keyboard only.
--
...brought to you by Carl's Jr.

amarryat
Verizon FiOS

join:2005-05-02
Marshfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to fifty nine
said by fifty nine:

said by MaynardKrebs:

said by fifty nine:

I think "copy" is inaccurate. "Improve" is a better word to use there. The virtual keyboard (and the optional others on the market) are much better and quite different than the iPhone keyboard. If a company's weren't allowed to improve on competitive designs, we'd still be in the dark ages.