spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

tld

join:2002-12-19

Generate an xorg modeline based on current X with no EDID?

Here's my current dilemma: I'm nursing along my old P4 (running Gentoo), which also happens to have an old GeForce MX440 video card. nVidia has apparently said that they have no plans of updating the legacy 96.43.20 driver for the xorg ABI change that occurred in xorg >= 1.11. Since this machine has only standard PCI and AGP, a new card just isn't worth putting the money into this old thing.

So my plan was to try to just move to using the nouveau driver. When I attempted to do so, I ran into a nasty roadblock. To really complicate things, apparently my old monitor doesn't send any EDID info, causing nouveau to default to 1024x768 only.

Now the question: With my system up any running with the proprietary nVidia driver, is there any way to query or generate a modeline that exactly matches the current mode that's in effect?? I've looked everywhere any I'm just not finding that. The closest things I see refer to either a) the EDID in Xorg.0.log which in my case isn't there, or b) using either the ctv or gtf programs to generate a modeline.

I've tried starting X (with the proprietary driver) using modelines generated from ctv and gtf, but they just don't look good at all...almost like the refresh rate is low or something...where black text on white is a bit painful to look at.

There simply must be a way to do this, but I can't seem to find it.

Any suggestions?

Tom

Bill_MI
Bill In Michigan
Premium,MVM
join:2001-01-03
Royal Oak, MI
kudos:2
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
Tom, Just a quick note in case it helps. What about a custom EDID so it's happy?

My 2004 Dell C840 laptop had a bad EDID. I was able to specify a file replacing it and all was well. The file itself is a whole 128 bytes but I have no idea the format. I do happen to have a link to the old post I used way-back: »www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthr···0&page=2

Could this be a solution? If I'm off in left field, please disregard.

dlsauers

join:2005-10-25
Wellston, OH
reply to tld
said by tld:
Here's my current dilemma: I'm nursing along my old P4 (running Gentoo), which also happens to have an old GeForce MX440 video card. nVidia has apparently said that they have no plans of updating the legacy 96.43.20 driver for the xorg ABI change that occurred in xorg >= 1.11. Since this machine has only standard PCI and AGP, a new card just isn't worth putting the money into this old thing.

So my plan was to try to just move to using the nouveau driver. When I attempted to do so, I ran into a nasty roadblock. To really complicate things, apparently my old monitor doesn't send any EDID info, causing nouveau to default to 1024x768 only.

Looks like the same problem I am having....

»Sansui, nVidia drivers and resolution

Sansui HDLC185W (The BF WM special)

Wonder if this could solve my problem even if I am stuck with the noveau, although not happy about it, the 96. as you mentioned is borq'd because of the change... URRRGH...

TuxRaiderPen

join:2009-09-19
reply to tld
said by tld:

You can double check the EDID info or the ability to get it from this:

You can try read-edid to possibly get some modeline info to try

$sudo apt-get install read-edid

$ sudo get-edid | parse-edid 
parse-edid: parse-edid version 2.0.0
get-edid: get-edid version 2.0.0

Performing real mode VBE call
        Interrupt 0x10 ax=0x4f00 bx=0x0 cx=0x0
        Function supported
        Call successful

VBE version 300
        VBE string at 0x2110 "NVIDIA"

VBE/DDC service about to be called
        Report DDC capabilities

Interrupt 0x10 ax=0x4f15 bx=0x0 cx=0x0
        Function supported
        Call successful

Monitor and video card combination does not support DDC1 transfers
        Monitor and video card combination supports DDC2 transfers
        0 seconds per 128 byte EDID block transfer
        Screen is not blanked during DDC transfer

Reading next EDID block

VBE/DDC service about to be called
        Read EDID

Interrupt 0x10 ax=0x4f15 bx=0x1 cx=0x0
        Function supported
        Call successful

parse-edid: EDID checksum passed.

# EDID version 1 revision 3
Section "Monitor"
        # Block type: 2:0 3:ff
        # Block type: 2:0 3:fd
        # Block type: 2:0 3:fc
        Identifier "F179"
        VendorName "FOU"
        ModelName "F179"
        HorizSync 30-80
        VertRefresh 55-75
        # Max dot clock (video bandwidth) 140 MHz
        # EDID version 3 GTF given: contact author
        # DPMS capabilities: Active off:yes  Suspend:yes  Standby:yes

Mode    "1280x1024"     # vfreq 60.020Hz, hfreq 63.981kHz
                DotClock        108.000000
                HTimings        1280 1328 1440 1688
                VTimings        1024 1025 1028 1066
                Flags   "+HSync" "+VSync"
        EndMode
EndSection

»polypux.org/projects/read-edid/

--
1311393600 - Back to Black.....Black....Black....