spc
Search similar:

uniqs
inkdclown
join:2012-08-28
Los Angeles, CA

inkdclown

[speed/latency] Verizon California and New Dsl Plans

I'm having similar problems with my Verizon Dsl. We were/are paying 39.99/month for 7-10Mbps. As of last Monday we started noticing a lot of lag to the point where we could not play online games. Called customer serice and this time got a girl from the phillipines instead of India (lol) She was finally able to tell me after almost an hour that I was getting the speed I'm supposed too - 1.1Mbps. I had asked her "how much am I paying for this plan?" she told me "26.99. Soooo, now i'm at speeds of 980kbps - 1.1Mbps and no one will or can tell me why! I thought this new change would only affect NEW Dsl customers or existing if they change their plan? I have NOT changed anything at all. So we upped our plan from 768-1.1 to 1.5-3.0 for 53.00/month. This is not right!!!!! Thinking about switching to Time Warner cable with supposed speeds UP to 20Mbps, but I don't trust them either. cannot get Fios, cannot get AT&T. Either or, that's it. This is BULLSHIT...... Sorry, If I messed up, first time posting...

trp2525
Premium Member
join:2008-02-24
united state

trp2525

Premium Member

You state that you were/are paying $39.99/month for 7-10 Mbps. Do you have dry-loop DSL service or is it bundled with phone service? Were you definitely provisioned at those speeds previously? What speeds were you syncing at with the CO before your recent changes took place?

Unless Verizon does something different in California, their High Speed Internet Enhanced plan covers all speeds from 1.1 Mbps to 15 Mbps all at the same price. They do, however, break it down further and have 3 speed tiers as follows: 1.1-3, 3.1-7 and 7.1-15. What tier you get placed on depends on many factors including your loop length, your line quality, local CO availability or non-availability of ADSL2+, remote terminal speed restrictions, selling restrictions due to oversold CO, etc., etc.

The Verizon DSL website states the following: "Speeds and service availability vary. High Speed Internet Enhanced service will be provisioned based on customer location and Verizon line qualification requirements. Most will qualify at 1.1–3 Mbps speed tier. The 3.1–7 Mbps and 7.1–15 Mbps service tiers ranges are available in select locations only. Availability subject to final confirmation by Verizon."

Again, unless Verizon does different pricing in California, they are currently advertising their High Speed Internet Enhanced DSL bundled with Verizon Regional Essentials phone service for $44.99/month (plus taxes and fees). You can also get their High Speed Internet Enhanced DSL bundled with Verizon Freedom Essentials phone service for $54.99/month (plus taxes and fees). Go here for full details: »www22.verizon.com/home/b ··· standard

If you are fed up with Verizon you could try DSL Extreme to see what speeds they could offer you. DSL Extreme is a reseller of Verizon DSL. Their pricing in Verizon areas is $24.95/month for 3.0 Mbps and $44.95/month for 7.1 Mbps. Both of those pricing plans require a 1-year contract. Add $10/month to each plan if you do not want to sign a contract. (They don't list any speeds higher than 7.1 for Verizon customers on their website so I don't know if they offer them.)
inkdclown
join:2012-08-28
Los Angeles, CA

inkdclown

Thanks for taking the time to respond! I do have dry-loop service. For years we had high speed DSL and the last couple of years we had the 7-10Mbps. About a week ago our internet started lagging pretty bad and we thought that maybe Verizon was fixing something. So after five days I decided to call and that's when I found out what I wrote earlier. When you call them no one seems to know anything and tell me that they don't know how I had 7-10 because all they offer in my area is the (2) packages. Unfortunately, because of kids, you can't really be on a computer or 2 and have them play their PS3. Too much lag. I will look into Time Warner and DSL Extreme. Thank you again for your time!

DJRayEarth
join:2012-08-01
Los Angeles, CA

DJRayEarth

Hi I am having the same issue and I think verizon will not admit that the problems is with them. They will come out with intresting excuse. I am giving them my last shot on the verizon direct forum, if they can't give me a good answer and compensate my lost, I will get my lawyer and press charges.
I am looking at local ISP instead of big company like timewarner etc.
maikii
join:2012-08-08
Pacific Palisades, CA

maikii

DJ Ray--Go ahead with the lawyer thing. It would be good if many of us get together to sue them, as thousands or millions of people nationwide. (I found out surprisingly, that certain words relating to people uniting to sue a telco cannot be used on this forum, presumably due to telco advertising. That is why I am avoiding that term.

Also, unfortunately, the only kind of internet one can really get from a local ISP now is dial-up. There are local resellers of DSL, but it is still your telco's DSL (VZ in your and my case), with therefore many of the same problems. In any case, you don't punish VZ by switching to the local reseller, as they have to pay VZ for your line the same amount that you have to pay VZ (the telcos used to have to give a discount to resellers to promote competition, but the telcos bribed legislators to change that, and many local DSL resellers went out of business. ) Therefore the resellers may have to charge you a few dollars more, in order to make any money. VZ still makes the same amount from you.