All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
darknecros
join:2008-03-20

darknecros

[NV] Cox Cable issues when reconnecting my 2nd cable box

Not sure if this is the proper place, but I just recently reconnected a cable box that has been disconnected for a very long time due to using the room as temporary storage. (still decided to keep paying the monthly bill for the additional box on my cable account for when I reconnected it)

I cleaned out the room and reconnected to box to the TV in the room and am greeted by a message saying "Your digital cable service has been disconnected"

Since the box has been disconnected for quite some time, could the software version on the box be so far out of date that it's causing this message? Is there a way to force a software/firmware update by holding/pressing a sequence of buttons on the box?

I just checked my last cable bill statement and is says I'm still paying for the additional box. Could the box ID have simply dissapeared from the authorization records since it was unplugged for an extended amount of time? Do I just need to let the box sit for a day or two for the system to recognize it?

Thanks.
ajwees41
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Omaha, NE

ajwees41

Premium Member

you need a hit sent the box has become a non responder.
darknecros
join:2008-03-20

darknecros

Do I need to call Cox for them to send a hit, or will they send a hit when/if a tech sees this post, or do they send hits every so often?
darknecros

darknecros

I just used the online tech support on the cox website and they sent a signal which reset the box, but it is still reading the disconnected message. They said it can take between 10 and 45 mins, but if it still reads that, then I guess it's back to square one.
m8trix
join:2003-12-24
Chandler, AZ

m8trix to darknecros

to darknecros
the automated system just sends reboot signals,you need to speak with a tech to re-activate the box since its been disconnected so long from their network
mercutio215
join:2011-09-24

mercutio215 to darknecros

to darknecros
Depending on the model of the box you should also be able to hold in on the power button of the box until the display reads BOOT. That should give it a reset also, but most likely you'll need to call support to get a stronger "hit" sent to the box.

Anonguy
@cox.net

Anonguy

Anon

said by mercutio215:

Depending on the model of the box you should also be able to hold in on the power button of the box until the display reads BOOT. That should give it a reset also, but most likely you'll need to call support to get a stronger "hit" sent to the box.

This won;t work.

A reauthorization hit is needed.

A rep must do this.
ajwees41
Premium Member
Omaha, NE

ajwees41 to mercutio215

Premium Member

to mercutio215
said by mercutio215:

I've only seen that work on the dvr's and it only reboots them not hitting them.

AnonPhx
@cox.net

AnonPhx

Anon

A set top box will deactivate after being unplugged for an extended length of time. I believe this is an anti-theft protection to make them worthless to steal, but that is just my theory why they do it.

Just call support and typically the automated support will be able to reactivate it, or a human being can do it as well.
ajwees41
Premium Member
Omaha, NE

ajwees41 to darknecros

Premium Member

to darknecros
did the box actually reset(turn off) the signal to the outlet could also be bad.