join:2009-09-11
Cherry Hill, NJ
(Software) pfSense
Asus RT-AC68
Asus RT-AC66

1 edit

MovieLover76

Capped plans cause this.

I agree that capped plans cause this, data usage was growing steadily over the years and I expect it still is, just because 2GB is sufficient today doesn't mean they will be next year, that's what verizon and at&t are hoping for.

But the reality is times are tough money wise, people lose their unlimited data and learn to conserve, I certainly did, after I lost unlimited because I wouldn't bend over for Verizon anymore I switched to straight talk to save some money, it's a good deal but their definition of unlimited is basically anything much over 2GB is abuse and could get you kicked off. So I've learned to conserve, only update apps on wifi, look for wifi before watching video or just wait till I get home.

This is just a corporate fluff piece designed to make the big two look good, when t-mobile allows real unlimited again it's quite likely I'll jump ship to them, their prepaid contract of course. I bought a GSM Galaxy Nexus so I could quit signing contracts and use AT&T or T-mobile either directly or through a mvno. Which is perfect for me, Sprint's network is still way too slow and LTE won't get to me anytime soon and I've left Verizon because their prices are too high, AT&T ain't much better but at least they give 3GB instead of 2 for individual plans.

pnh102
Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium Member
join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD

pnh102

Premium Member

This is the same "reasoning" that we hear when we are told that very high speed broadband to the home (like Google in the Kansas Cities) is not popular... of course, it costs ~$300 a month if you get it from Verizon or Comcast.

If it is $50 a month, then it becomes very popular.

MovieLover76
join:2009-09-11
Cherry Hill, NJ
(Software) pfSense
Asus RT-AC68
Asus RT-AC66

MovieLover76

For the most part it wasn't a price issue there were many factors.
I have an AT&T hspa+ phone for work and for 99% of taks you can't tell the difference between that and lte.
CDMA phones and especially CDMA lte phones are the slowest to get updates if they get them at all because of how CDMA works.
I wanted a nexus that would get updated right away.

I had wanted these things for awhile and when Verizon went to share everything and started treating existing unlimited customers like red headed stepchildren I couldn't take it anymore, to keep unlimited data i had to buy phones at retail knowing the poor update history of CDMA phones I did not want to do that, or accept a 2gb tier for the same subsidized phone that would have problems getting updates.

Or I could leave Verizon and their battery hogging phones that have horrible update records, pay half what I was paying to Verizon and buy a gsm galaxy nexus that guareented updates first, and I went from 450 mins to unlimited, 500 texts to unlimited and have roughly a 2gb cap. at this price I could buy the new nexus every year and still be saving money and getting more than I did at Verizon.

It's not like 300 mbit service, Because honestly the difference in day to day experience is the same, better actually because my gsm phone gets 5+ hours of active usage where my Verizon phone was lucky to get 3.
Verizon isn't worth the premium price they think their worth.

T-mobile offers a good value for data and soon will be going unlimited, and sprint users will probably use the network a lot more if they can get decent speeds, I'm hoping the network vision program is the success they expect.

It's not just me, prepaid wireless is the fastest growing sector because the big two are getting too greedy and not providing additional value for their premium price. Why do you think AT&T has opened their network to so many mvno's, even Verizon has mvno's though less compelling options admittedly.
Because they know their pushing customers away