All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed
« What about Wifi
This is a sub-selection from I don't use 2gb.

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5
reply to LightS

Re: I don't use 2gb.

said by LightS:

That being said, I don't care if the carriers think we need it - it's the fact that they shouldn't dictate how much we use. We should have the ability to use as much as we want, at a reasonable price.

The bone of contention is over what is a REASONABLE price. It will never be as low as people want it to be.
--
»www.mittromney.com/s/repeal-and-···bamacare
»www.mittromney.com/issues/health-care

battleop

join:2005-09-28

1 recommendation

If it was free Karl would find a way to promote it in a negative way.

Crookshanks

join:2008-02-04
Binghamton, NY

1 recommendation

reply to FFH
Why are people paying for it if they don't think it's a reasonable price? They may hem and haw about it, but when they write that check to their carrier they tacitly acknowledge that the price is reasonable.

coldmoon
Premium
join:2002-02-04
Broadway, NC
Reviews:
·Windstream
said by Crookshanks:

Why are people paying for it if they don't think it's a reasonable price? They may hem and haw about it, but when they write that check to their carrier they tacitly acknowledge that the price is reasonable.

Nice analysis of a captive customer base but you left out the issues like lack of provider coverage in a large number of areas outside urban centers (and many WITHIN). lack of competition that would allow that customer to "write that check to a different carrier", and provider created congestion.

So even if many would like to use the bandwidth they pay for, often they are unable to get reliable service even at ridiculously inflated prices.

So please tell me where the price of the service gets reasonable?
--
Returnil - 21st Century body armor for your PC

Crookshanks

Binghamton, NY
You can't held captive by the provider of a luxury service. Wireless data is not food, it is not electricity, it is not running water, it is not space heating. It is first and foremost a luxury service that you can easily live without if you find the price point objectionable or the service sub-par.

PapaMidnight

join:2009-01-13
Baltimore, MD
reply to battleop
Well, I guess somebody had to take the obligatory pot shot.

Not that anyone ever takes his offer to be PAID to write a retort or any other article...

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
join:2005-03-14
Putnam, CT
kudos:4
said by PapaMidnight:

Well, I guess somebody had to take the obligatory pot shot.

Not that anyone ever takes his offer to be PAID to write a retort or any other article...

Shhh, stop making sense.
Amazing how many people like to bitch about the site yet keep coming back...
--
"So, Lone Starr, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb."

Have you been touched by his noodly appendage? »www.venganza.org

whiteshp

join:2002-03-05
Xenia, OH
reply to Crookshanks
Internet is a utility. For many of us it is how we work, shop, and keep in contact with our families. With tech advances you could say telephone is as much a utility as is the telegraph to make the internet a luxury vs a utility. With the shutting down of DSL in many places there is no more choice but just wireless and they know it. You pay their unreasonable fee because you lose your job/contacts if you don't. Nothing is to high for monopolies charge and politics will never set limits to massive gouging as long as they always get a "cut" in political donations.

ArrayList
netbus developer
Premium
join:2005-03-19
Brighton, MA
reply to FFH
it will also never be as high as business wants it to be.

silbaco
Premium
join:2009-08-03
USA
reply to whiteshp
said by whiteshp:

Internet is a utility. For many of us it is how we work, shop, and keep in contact with our families. With tech advances you could say telephone is as much a utility as is the telegraph to make the internet a luxury vs a utility. With the shutting down of DSL in many places there is no more choice but just wireless and they know it. You pay their unreasonable fee because you lose your job/contacts if you don't. Nothing is to high for monopolies charge and politics will never set limits to massive gouging as long as they always get a "cut" in political donations.

Internet is a utility. Internet on your phone is a luxury. There are other ways to communicate with your family. There are other ways to shop. And there is wifi for work and when there isn't, 9/10 work provides you the phone with internet.

I have never needed internet on my personal phone outside of a wifi area one single time. And I don't know a single person who has.

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness
reply to Crookshanks
said by Crookshanks:

Why are people paying for it if they don't think it's a reasonable price?

Well try getting a smartphone from Verizon or at&t or Sprint or T-mobile without a data plan. YOU CAN'T.Most people on Verizon have their $30 data plan? You know why? because that's the cheapest they offer.

coldmoon
Premium
join:2002-02-04
Broadway, NC
Reviews:
·Windstream
reply to silbaco
said by silbaco:

said by whiteshp:

Internet is a utility. Internet on your phone is a luxury. There are other ways to communicate with your family. There are other ways to shop. And there is wifi for work and when there isn't, 9/10 work provides you the phone with internet.

I have never needed internet on my personal phone outside of a wifi area one single time. And I don't know a single person who has.

You, and those you know don't get out much then. Do you have to travel for your job? And if yes, do you have to go into areas without wifi available?
--
Returnil - 21st Century body armor for your PC

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to whiteshp
said by whiteshp:

Internet is a utility.

And utilities charge for service too.
Voice only requires a small amount of bandwidth and thus is fairly cheap, internet functions running constantly require much more bandwidth and thus are fairly expensive.
If it is too expensive, do your high demand apps (shopping, video, etc.) on a connection with a lower cost per byte.
Very few if any places have shutdown DSL, though little effort is going into expanded DSL, upgrading service, or doing non critical line maintaince.

If your job doesn't compansate enough to pay for the nessecary/required tools like a cell phone (and if NESSESARY streaming video,high speed wireless) then it's probably best to change to another profession ASAP.

Crookshanks

Binghamton, NY
reply to whiteshp
said by whiteshp:

Internet is a utility. For many of us it is how we work, shop, and keep in contact with our families.

We're talking about cellular internet here. It's a luxury, plain and simple. People can and do live without it. Don't whine to me because you feel it's overpriced while you continue to send Verizon/AT&T/whomever a check each month.

said by whiteshp:

With the shutting down of DSL in many places there is no more choice but just wireless and they know it.

Where is DSL being "shut down"? Some telcos have halted expansion deeper into rural areas but I'm not aware of shrinking DSL footprints. Even if they are "shutting down" DSL, you've got the choice to move to civilization. Living in the middle of nowhere comes at a premium. Are you also going to bellyache about the increased cost of maintaining a septic tank/well vs. having municipal water/sewer service?

Crookshanks

Binghamton, NY
reply to coldmoon
said by coldmoon:

You, and those you know don't get out much then. Do you have to travel for your job? And if yes, do you have to go into areas without wifi available?

Work should be paying for your cellular data service in this instance.

If they don't, well, decide if it's worth paying for. Weigh the cost of the cellular data connection against the inconvenience of being unplugged for a few hours while you're away from the hotel room.

One wonders how we managed to survive before the days of 24/7/365 connectivity.

PastTense

join:2011-07-06
united state
reply to Crookshanks
You can grow your own food. You can generated electricity via solar panels, a wind generator or diesel generator. You can get water from a well or having it brought it via a tanker type truck. You can heat your house via home heating oil, propane, wood or coal.

silbaco
Premium
join:2009-08-03
USA
reply to coldmoon
My personal phone. I do not need to use data on my personal phone for my job.

Scatcatpdx
Fur It Up

join:2007-06-22
Portland, OR
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to whiteshp
Make me wonder how you fair in the third world or in a Amish community.
You it is an utility but like all utilities it is not an entitlement. Ask anybody had their utilities cut off for no payment. Where were you in 1969, I was grow up without computers a son of Black man was the fist to go to college, a grand son of a sharecropper and form a family line of slave in rural Virginia . Guss what I know my family history before there was and internet.
Nether the utility means others have to provide the way you want it, some even provide the own utilities by digging a well or putting up a few solar panels
You can change you way you work and live if you do not have internet. . Beside with so many free hotspots I think you point is moot.

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX
Reviews:
·row44
reply to Crookshanks
said by Crookshanks:

You can't held captive by the provider of a luxury service. Wireless data is not food, it is not electricity, it is not running water, it is not space heating. It is first and foremost a luxury service that you can easily live without if you find the price point objectionable or the service sub-par.

Electricity is as much of a luxury as internet is.
Also, many people NEED to have electricity and internet at home to work so they can buy food to eat.
Sorry, but internet is a NEED as much as roads, other telecommunication, and electricity.

It may not be a NEED for everyone, but for alot of people it is. No internet, no roads, no electricy = no job to pay for food.
--
...brought to you by Carl's Jr.

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium
Katy, TX
Reviews:
·row44
reply to 88615298
ATT does the same thing for any qwerty phone. They make you pay $15 for a data plan.

I buy china android phones w/ wifi to get around the data plan. If your phone has a certain imei number they will just start charging you for data.
--

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3
I would think the other option to avoid the data plan fee is get a phone that is not a smartphone. Why have a smartphone if all you want is to make voice calls anyway?

--Brian

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium
Katy, TX
Reviews:
·row44
said by plencnerb:

I would think the other option to avoid the data plan fee is get a phone that is not a smartphone. Why have a smartphone if all you want is to make voice calls anyway?

--Brian

You cant possibly be this dense. You must be trolling me.
Who said I only wanted to make voice calls???
1. qwerty phones are needed for text messages, no one is going to try and txt using a number pad. That is stupid.
2. smart phones work with wifi (if you can wifi where you want to use your phone, why pay for a data plan?)
3. GPS works just fine with no data plan.
--

amarryat
Verizon FiOS

join:2005-05-02
Marshfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to plencnerb
said by plencnerb:

--Brian

The calendar.

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
reply to r81984
said by r81984:

said by plencnerb:

--Brian

..............2. smart phones work with wifi (if you can wifi where you want to use your phone, why pay for a data plan?)

\

because public Wi-Fi is too slow. Heck 3G is too slow.

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL
reply to r81984
said by r81984:

said by plencnerb:

--Brian

You cant possibly be this dense. You must be trolling me.
Who said I only wanted to make voice calls???
1. qwerty phones are needed for text messages, no one is going to try and txt using a number pad. That is stupid.
2. smart phones work with wifi (if you can wifi where you want to use your phone, why pay for a data plan?)
3. GPS works just fine with no data plan.

I'm not trolling, just replying to your question with another question. IF you were someone who only needed to make voice calls, then why have a phone that did other things. I did not want to imply or give the impression that you said you only needed to make voice only calls. But, that was one way to avoid having a data charge.

I agree that if you don't have a querty phone, texting on a number pad sucks. Of course, before smartphones, that is what everyone did, which is why all those funny 3 letter words (LOL, TXT, BRB) and so on came to be. No one liked to text on a number pad. However, I am someone who does not like to text, and I tell my friends that if they want to get a hold of me to call my cell phone.

Yes, most smartphones have a built-in GPS, something you don't get with a non smartphone. However, if you already own a GPS (which, in my case I do, a Garmin Nuvi), why have 2 GPS's?

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL
reply to amarryat
said by amarryat:

said by plencnerb:

--Brian

The calendar.

I took a look at my LG Phone (model# LG325G), and it has a calendar in it, and my phone is not a smart phone. So, if you do some research, you can get a non-smartphone with a calendar in it. I know I'll never use it, but it looks like I can add appointments, birthdays, events, and so on. Seems like it does everything a calendar should do. It probably has a way to give an alert too when an event comes up to help remind you about it.

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium
Katy, TX
Reviews:
·row44
reply to plencnerb
said by plencnerb:

I agree that if you don't have a querty phone, texting on a number pad sucks. Of course, before smartphones, that is what everyone did, which is why all those funny 3 letter words (LOL, TXT, BRB) and so on came to be. No one liked to text on a number pad. However, I am someone who does not like to text, and I tell my friends that if they want to get a hold of me to call my cell phone.

Yes, most smartphones have a built-in GPS, something you don't get with a non smartphone. However, if you already own a GPS (which, in my case I do, a Garmin Nuvi), why have 2 GPS's?

Actually I never text'd with a number pad phone as the thought was stupid to me from day 1.
I had the nokia 6800 qwerty keypad phone.
That came out in 2002.
The nokia 6800 has to be the best designed qwerty phone of all time. Nothing has the same level of comfort and speed for typing. It is sad they stopped making phones to that design.

I usually tell people to text me than call. If I cant answer I would rather have a text than a VM. And calling me for something quick to say, it is quicker just to text.
It helps now using google voice for VM that transcribes my VM in an txt message.

I have a TomTom GPS, but it always comes in handy to have GPS with anywhere you need it. If you are going to carry a phone, might as well have one that can do many things even if you only need to do that thing rarely.
--

chamberc
Premium
join:2008-08-05
Irving, TX
reply to amarryat
said by amarryat:

said by plencnerb:

--Brian

The calendar.

Nokia and Motorola phones have had calendars in them for more than a decade.