uniqs
share rss forum feed

LEKO

join:2010-09-28
Montreal, QC
reply to GuiGQc

Re: [Eng] Router was WEP cracked. $600 in overages. What can we

said by GuiGQc:

The difference is that every kid with a laptop can try to use your wifi to download movies. Not every kid with a laptop will have the nerves to go steal your TV.

I do really hope is not the kind of advice you give. It's like recommending people using password 1234. Yes, it's a password, but it is not secure.

Think about it: do you want to pay that 600$ bill?

LEKO

Montreal, QC
reply to dragonfly

said by dragonfly:

Anyway, thank you all for your input so far. We did reference DSLReports to Videotron and we felt it gave us some leverage. I would warn all Videotron customers to set up these bandwidth notifications immediately or risk immense bills due to the actions of others.

AND do not use WEP!

dragonfly

join:2012-09-04

Well now that's a given My friend who switched the encryption to WEP is not exactly a computer guy. Still, that shouldn't be enough to cost anyone $600.

GuiGQc

join:2012-02-22
Gatineau, QC

Reduction from 600$ to 200$ is even better than we thought! We were expecting half the price. Let us kniow if you manage to drop it even lower!

Melk

join:2007-10-30
Longueuil, QC
reply to HackedWEP

Congrats on lowering the charges. I do admit that $200 is still much though.

I use this tool to monitor my usage. It's great because it adds a button Firefox with the monthly % used during the billing period -- very easy to see right away at what % you are every time you open FF. So every time I use the Internet, I know exactly where my usage is.

Here's the link to the website itself.. you can also use the Addons FF option to find it although I use the direct site to make sure I get the latest version.

»netusage.iau5.com/

I even talked to the guy maintaining it when it stopped working with Videotron last year (the tool is for a lot of ISP around the world), and he fixed it within days. Donated to him after that

I know it's a bit late in the game, but IF anything unusual happens to your bandwitdh in the future (to you or anyone else reading this), this tool will let you know within hours.

gluck

LEKO

Montreal, QC

Just installed it on Chrome, works fine!

TH47

join:2005-10-29

Looks good indeed!

InvalidError

join:2008-02-03
kudos:5
reply to dragonfly

said by dragonfly:

We're still very much considering a small claims action.

Unless you are unemployed or can take a day off to go to court, this will likely cost you more than the $200 bind you are trying to wiggle out of since the court probably won't grant you any collateral damages.

While the court might agree that Videotron's rates are excessive and Videotron should do a better job at notifying customers about usage charges, I would not be surprised if it concluded that Videotron has already made a reasonable effort to "make things right" and that it was still ultimately your responsibility to keep tabs on usage.

GuiGQc

Gatineau, QC

Don't go to small claims. You'll lose and they might even charge you the whole 600$.

zorxd

join:2010-02-05
Quebec, QC
reply to dragonfly

I agree that you should accept the 200$. Videotron is doing you a favor. Don't go to court you will loose.
If you are still unhappy, switch to an other ISP however.

i Snorted

@videotron.ca

said by zorxd:

Videotron is doing you a favor.

LOL
LOL
LOL
*snort*

InvalidError

join:2008-02-03
kudos:5
reply to zorxd

said by zorxd:

I agree that you should accept the 200$. Videotron is doing you a favor.

I would say Videotron is doing itself a favor.

By dropping the bill to $200 even though all evidence points to negligence (OP should have secured his router to prevent his flatmate from messing with wireless security without authorization), the hearing is likely going to be very short assuming the judge does not simply refuse to hear the case.

Dunlop

join:2011-07-13
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Bell Fibe
·ELECTRONICBOX

Get an install date with Teksavvy or Electronic Box and tell Videotron your are cancelling and I am sure they will waive all the charges in their retention department to keep you as a customer

...then a week later still cancel with them because the amount of money you pay extra with Videotron vs the iisp's is freaking criminal.

GuiGQc

Gatineau, QC

said by Dunlop:

...then a week later still cancel with them

LOLLLLL haha!

CopperFibre

join:2012-09-08
Montreal, QC
reply to HackedWEP

Did you call the OPC? They will tell you about what you can and cannot do

GuiGQc