uniqs
ke4pym
Premium Member
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC

ke4pym to motorola870

Premium Member

to motorola870

Re: Just got a new firmware on my SBG6580!

Something is going on here on my SBG6580. It just rebooted twice. I'm online for the time being but the up/down indicators are blinking at the same time and I see this in the event log:

SW Download INIT - Via NMS

Update - upgraded in Charlotte -
SBG6580-3.5.8.2-GA-00-488-NOSH

Wireless is back on. But it kept the network I put it on (192.168.4.254). Menus look the same.

djrobx
Premium Member
join:2000-05-31
Reno, NV

djrobx

Premium Member

I have a question for those in the know here. I see a new menu on the web interface after firmware upgrade. Does anyone know what these mean by chance? (See image attached.)

These are the various protocols that typically need special intervention to work behind a gateway. For example, FTP sends out the IP address of your computer so the remote computer can connect back to you. But behind a gateway, your PC ends up sending its private IP, which does the remote machine no good. The router has special handling that re-writes the request with your public IP instead, and makes note of which computer should receive the request when it comes in.

While these things are supposed to help, sometimes they interfere or have bugs. Most VOIP services, for example, recommend disabling SIP ALG. So it's good to have the option to disable them.
MetalMike
join:2011-09-24

MetalMike

quote:
While these things are supposed to help, sometimes they interfere or have bugs. Most VOIP services, for example, recommend disabling SIP ALG. So it's good to have the option to disable them.
So, do you think I should leave it alone even if I don't use VOIP? Will this effect my internet speeds in any way if I leave it the way it is now? Or should I untick all of them?

Thanks.

djrobx
Premium Member
join:2000-05-31
Reno, NV

djrobx

Premium Member

said by MetalMike:

quote:
So, do you think I should leave it alone even if I don't use VOIP? Will this effect my internet speeds in any way if I leave it the way it is now? Or should I untick all of them?

Thanks.

I prefer to uncheck them, and then check if needed. But it shouldn't matter if you're not using those protocols in the first place.
PowerMac
join:2011-03-02
Anaheim, CA

PowerMac

Does new firmware fix the rebooting glitch that reset when uploading large files?
MetalMike
join:2011-09-24

MetalMike to djrobx

to djrobx
Thanks a lot for answering my questions. Much appreciated!