Here come the drums
Premium Member
join:2004-02-14
EC/SETX SWLA

atuarre to WK2

Premium Member

to WK2

Re: Linksys EA6500

I would prefer someone from here to comment on this, after they purchase it. I have purchased things from Amazon, that people swore up and down had issues but I have never had those issues. I really don't take any comments about an item on Amazon seriously.

I had hoped Small Netbuilder would have a review up but not yet.

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to WK2

to WK2
I always take reviews with a grain of salt because it's based off people who may or may not have the technical know how or experience to be accurate or competent. It's really just based off opinions that can easily be bias towards or against a particular company or product. Sometimes the review could be by someone with the intelligence of a leaf.

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

mozerd to atuarre

MVM

to atuarre
The best review would come from your own personal experience with the product.

SPECIFICALLY In the AC world each VENDOR is doing their own thing to distinguish themselves from the other AC Vendors especially when exploiting the 5 Ghz band ... and from my assesment of the EA6500 nothing stands out.

When Small Netbuilder decides to use 80 Mhz instead of 40 Mhz channels THEN it might be worth while to asses their review on the AC line up. I suspect that will only happen when Clients become available that can exploit the 80 Mhz space.
tunerX
join:2012-02-20

tunerX

Just bought it, I was waiting for Best Buy to carry them and they just started this morning.

I used the cloud software to set it up and everything is running well. The system gets a little warm. The range of the access point goes farther than the UBEE and Cisco WAP that I have been using.

There really isn't anything too special with it, but it works way better than my UBEE DDW3611. I now set that up in bridge mode and have retired my Cisco WAP4410N

KoRnGtL15
Premium Member
join:2007-01-04
Grants Pass, OR

1 edit

KoRnGtL15

Premium Member

Does it come with a built in bandwidth meter? That is pretty standard in routers now. I am still rocking my E4200 V1 from when it first came out. I was pretty ticked it did not have that feature. I hope Linksys finally added it to the EA6500.

**EDIT**

I just thought of reading the user guide manual. I did not see any thing on it at all. And they are really pushing that cisco cloud crap. The whole manual was based on that. Glad you can still dl the regular firmware version though instead of cloud if you do not want it. I cannot believe that router lacks a bandwidth meter. Linksys needs to get with the times. Sheesh!
tunerX
join:2012-02-20

tunerX to WK2

to WK2
I have not come across any LAN side meters. The only thing in the cloud UI is a bandwidth/speed test app from ookla that measures WAN bandwidth.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to KoRnGtL15

to KoRnGtL15
I don't think there is a standard "classic" firmware version for the EA6500 as I didn't see a link to download it on the support site. I'm curious on the wireless range and speed performance of the EA6500 in 2.4GHz mode compared to the EA4500 and EA4200 v2.

WK2
Premium Member
join:2006-12-28
united state

WK2

Premium Member

»reviews.cnet.com/routers ··· 764.html

KoRnGtL15
Premium Member
join:2007-01-04
Grants Pass, OR

KoRnGtL15

Premium Member

That is not a very glowing review at all. I also do not like Cisco/Linksys forcing CCC on users with that router. And still no standard firmware available.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

Well that may be true but you can't pass up the benefits of having cool tech, right?