Who let the magic smoke out?
Premium
join:2006-03-17
Saint Augustine, FL
reply to SmokChsr

Hurricane Issac Stalls!

Click for full size
What shall I do?
I've always said tropical systems aren't watching the weather channel. Issac once again has proved that by having the front of the eyewall hit land at 2PM EDST this afternoon, (my observation on radar, the official version is 9:45PM EDST) and now at 2AM he still hasn't crossed the coast. Actually he bounced off the mouth of the Mississippi River and is now slowly crawling westward along the Southern Louisiana coast. A second landfall is expected later this morning.

I guess I need to check the definitions since I was counting land fall as any time any portion of the eye was over land, obviously that is not how the NHC is determining it.

This has put New Orleans in the heaviest rain area, so it's going to have rain flooding. The NHC is still listing Isaac with 80 MPH winds, but it's likely a bit less than that.

ropeguru
Premium
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA
said by SmokChsr:

I guess I need to check the definitions since I was counting land fall as any time any portion of the eye was over land, obviously that is not how the NHC is determining it.

According to NHC:

LANDFALL - The intersection of the surface center of a tropical cyclone with a coastline. Because the strongest winds in a tropical cyclone are not located precisely at the center, it is possible for a cyclone's strongest winds to be experienced over land even if landfall does not occur. Similarly, it is possible for a tropical cyclone to make landfall and have its strongest winds remain over the water. Compare direct hit, indirect hit, and strike.

SmokChsr
Who let the magic smoke out?
Premium
join:2006-03-17
Saint Augustine, FL
said by ropeguru:

According to NHC:
LANDFALL - The intersection of the surface center of a tropical cyclone with a coastline.

That's pretty much what I was thinking it is. In this case, with that definition, the actual first landfall time could have been judged + or - 8 hours. What I used (right or wrong) if the storm has an eye wall, and land has made it inside the eye wall, then it has made land fall. Then again they may not have considered the long, very lightly populated, area of Louisiana, where the Mississippi outflows into the Gulf as real land.