I AM
Premium
join:2010-04-11
Ephrata, PA
kudos:4
reply to AB

Re: [NFL] Week 1 Games Discussion

said by AB:

Seeing the Detroit Lions in the Superbowl would be like seeing the Chicago Cubs in the World Series. One of those things a reasonable person never expects to see happen within their lifetime, or possibly within the lifetimes of their grandchildren as well.

This x 10000

shaner
Premium
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB
At least the Lions used to win NFL Championships and have Hall of Fame players. The Cardinals don't have either (other than Dan Dierdorf) and they went to a Super Bowl.

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium
join:2002-02-05
Far Rockaway, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to jabarnut
Which makes me wonder even more why they kept Wayne Hunter as long as they did. That guy had problems.

And I was surprised that I didn't hear Mario Williams' name called at all during the game, considering what a great pass rusher he's supposed to be. Austin Howard is either really good, had a lot of help, or the refs are missing a lot of calls on the O-Line.

I hope Revis is healthy enough to play next week against the Steelers. I read he had a mild concussion from when Bart Scott kicked him in the head.
--
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." - H. L. Mencken

jabarnut
Light Years Away
Premium,MVM
join:2005-01-22
Galaxy M31
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to Moorecards
Speaking of the replacement refs (and I see some of you are bitching about them), from the games I saw, it didn't seem much different. I thought they did a pretty good job. I also realize there are a lot of games I didn't see, and perhaps there were some really bad calls...but then, aren't there always even with the "real" refs?
I remember once during a Hockey season when the replacement refs were a total joke...I mean, it was downright embarrassing. Half of them never even learned how to skate.
But of the NFL games I saw this weekend, the refs were pretty professional, and did a decent job, as far as I'm concerned.
--
I had a life once.....now I have a Computer and a Modem.

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium
Far Rockaway, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
I think they did a good job too, with two exceptions.

I read about a 4th timeout being given to the Seahawks. Not sure how that played out.

The Giants pass rush being held by the Cowboys O-Line*. I haven't been able to watch the game a second time to conform, but it seemed to me there was a bunch of holding going on that wasn't flagged. And Kiwanuka said he was being held a lot.

*This could be attributed to my fan bias though.
--
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." - H. L. Mencken

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium
Far Rockaway, NY
reply to Moorecards
Has Joe Flacco always looked this good?

Wily_One
Premium
join:2002-11-24
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to jabarnut
said by jabarnut:

Speaking of the replacement refs (and I see some of you are bitching about them), from the games I saw, it didn't seem much different. I thought they did a pretty good job. I also realize there are a lot of games I didn't see, and perhaps there were some really bad calls...but then, aren't there always even with the "real" refs?

There was a marked difference, and as I said it was on both sides of the ball. Sometimes in my team's favor and sometimes not. But when flags were thrown, they were coming way late.

The 49er/Packer game is mentioned here:
»www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/···646.html

A flag was thrown on the punt return, but they picked it up with no explanation. And while the Packers did get an undeserved TD out of it, this sums up the game despite the refereeing: "We got outplayed."

jabarnut
Light Years Away
Premium,MVM
Galaxy M31
Well, that explains it...when it's your team, I can't deny that the refs always suck.
--

FFH5
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5
reply to Moorecards
Flacco having a good game for Baltimore and it looks like the Ravens have sewn up this game early in the 4th qtr. Balt up 41-13 with 14 mins to go.
--
»www.mittromney.com/s/repeal-and-···bamacare
»www.mittromney.com/issues/health-care

jabarnut
Light Years Away
Premium,MVM
Galaxy M31
Yeah, this is looking like a real ass kicking now. Still watching it, but I'm starting to think my bed sounds better at this point.
--

fatness
subtle
Premium,ex-mod 01-13
join:2000-11-17
fishing
kudos:14
reply to Moorecards
This Griffin fellow for the Redskins might be pretty good.

I go to watch the entire Redskin game which is a rarity for me, and there wasn't one play in which he looked like he didn't know what to do. He knew where the pressure was coming from, knew which way to turn to avoid it, didn't lose track of his receivers' routes when he moved, and threw some mighty accurate passes. Washington hasn't seen anything quite like this in years. Beating the Saints in New Orleans basically seemed impossible, but the Redskins pretty much controlled the whole game.
--
my pants are parched and thirsty

Edge1
But these go to 11.
Premium
join:2006-03-01
USA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Rook008
said by Rook008:

Has Joe Flacco always looked this good?

He's a lot better than pretty much the whole nation gives him credit for, especially Steeler fans. Cam Cameron has held him back, but he also needed to learn and grow for a few years. Keeping my fingers crossed, but Joe's hardly my biggest concern for this team. His biggest problem will likely be sloppy turnovers.

jabarnut
Light Years Away
Premium,MVM
Galaxy M31
reply to fatness
said by fatness:

This Griffin fellow for the Redskins might be pretty good.

I agree...so far, one of the best rookie starters I've seen in quite a while (if he can keep it up).
Who knows, maybe your time has finally come.
said by jabarnut :
And it looks like the Redskins may finally have themselves a QB in Griffin 111. (19-26, 320) 2 TD', no int's, and 42 yards on 10 carries. Pretty damn good for a rookie in his first start.
Overall I was impressed with the Skins (amazingly), in watching parts of the game.

jabarnut
Light Years Away
Premium,MVM
Galaxy M31
reply to Moorecards
Aw hell...I was going to bed. Completely forgot this was a Monday Night "double header"....sort of. (Weird, eh?)
Damn...I've got to at least watch one quarter. It's the regular season, ya know?
--

shaner
Premium
Calgary, AB
reply to Moorecards
Since when did Chris Berman start doing play by play? He's pretty good but it's weird.

f0rtys3ven

join:2011-09-01
Lansing, MI
I love BOOMER!

jabarnut
Light Years Away
Premium,MVM
Galaxy M31
"HE-COULD-GO-ALL-THE-WAY!"
("But no, he's stopped on the 2 yard line"). :D

shaner
Premium
Calgary, AB
reply to f0rtys3ven
Yeah...he's got a Keith Jackson like style to him. I like it.

capdjq
Premium
join:2000-11-01
Vancouver
He's got the perfect voice and intonation for a play by play. I enjoy his terms & distinctive voice. It reminds me a bit of Howard Cosell.
--
Eastwood to Obama, "It all went according to plan, sir".

rockotman
...Blown On The Steel Breeze
Emerging Research
join:2000-08-06
DSotM
Sure beats Mike & Mike, who have done the second Monday night games in past years (don't think that they did it last year, either).
--
Shine on you crazy diamond...

Insight6

join:2012-08-25
reply to fatness
said by fatness:

Beating the Saints in New Orleans basically seemed impossible, but the Redskins pretty much controlled the whole game.

Since I picked the Saints in the suicide poll they were damned before the game even started.

I was really surprised at how bad the Redskins D line put a whupping on the Saints O line. Brees never had a chance to even plant his feet to throw half of the times. Sometimes the pass rush reminded me of a jailbreak. Then the few times he got a chance to plant and throw he made some uncharacteristically bad throws both in accuracy and in the decision process.

Washington sure earned the win.

jabarnut
Light Years Away
Premium,MVM
Galaxy M31
reply to capdjq
said by capdjq:

He's got the perfect voice and intonation for a play by play. I enjoy his terms & distinctive voice. It reminds me a bit of Howard Cosell.

If it reminds you a bit of Howard Cosell, it's because he's said more than once that Howard was one of his very favorite sportscasters growing up. Some of his now famous sayings like: "He could...go...all...the...way!", and other stuff like "The NY Football Giants" (and the way he says it), were taken directly from Cosell. Anyone who remembers Cosell will notice the similarities, and the fact that Berman tries to emulate him in some ways.
Oh, and yeah. Not only did I like Cosell back in the day, but I get a kick out of Berman as well.
--

whizkid3
Premium,MVM
join:2002-02-21
Queens, NY
kudos:9
said by jabarnut:

stuff like "The NY Football Giants"

Which to my knowledge is the actual name of the team and predates Cosell.

I remember Cosell very clearly. In fact I remember how my friends and I grew to hate the voice of Cosell. Cosell would start a broadcast clearly favoring one team and if during the game that his favored team were losing; by the end of the game he would be telling you how he told his viewers 'all along' how he knew the other team was better and would win the game. Eventually, and especially for MNF, we would turn the sound off and use the radio for audio instead. I don't see any correlation between Berman what-so-ever.

rockotman
...Blown On The Steel Breeze
Emerging Research
join:2000-08-06
DSotM
said by whizkid3:

said by jabarnut:

stuff like "The NY Football Giants"

Which to my knowledge is the actual name of the team and predates Cosell.

So as not to be confused with what used to be called the New York Giants baseball team, now in SF.

With respect to Cosell, I found his voice quite irritating, but also quite captivating. Sort of like having to watch a train-wreck all the way through.

Hear-tell he liked his spirits during the game, and many times by the end of game would sound as coherent as Joe Namath wanting to kiss Suzy Kolbert (sp?).
--
Shine on you crazy diamond...

shaner
Premium
Calgary, AB

1 recommendation

I honestly could never understand the appeal of Cosell...his voice was just so ... nasaly.

I also didn't really enjoy Myron Cope for the same reason either, but at least he was upbeat and positive and had fun with the game. Cosell tried to sound like he knew more than EVERYBODY around him and sounded like there was always somewhere else he'd rather be, mostly likely with a hooker on his lap.

Again, Berman doing play by play was refreshing and he really did remind me of the late, great Keith Jackson....fumblin', bumblin' stumblin' across the goal line.
--
I'm a man, but I can change. If I have to. I guess.

»shaner38.blogspot.com/

jabarnut
Light Years Away
Premium,MVM
Galaxy M31

1 edit
reply to whizkid3
I realize Cosell didn't come up with the term "The NY Football Giants" itself, but Berman will often say it the same way Cosell once said it...(changing his voice trying to sound like him).
Same with the "He could...go...all...the...way!" thing:
quote:
He is well known for his various catch-phrases and player nicknames. His rendition of "He could...go...all...the...way!" is adopted from Howard Cosell,
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Berman

All I'm saying is I've heard Berman himself say he idolized Cosell as a sportscaster (in certain interviews on TV as well as in magazines), and I personally often hear him say certain things (for example during Sunday NFL Countdown), where he's obviously (to me at least), trying to sound a little like Cosell did back in the day.
--