dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
« What about Wifi
This is a sub-selection from I don't use 2gb.

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium Member
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX

r81984 to plencnerb

Premium Member

to plencnerb

Re: I don't use 2gb.

said by plencnerb:

I would think the other option to avoid the data plan fee is get a phone that is not a smartphone. Why have a smartphone if all you want is to make voice calls anyway?

--Brian

You cant possibly be this dense. You must be trolling me.
Who said I only wanted to make voice calls???
1. qwerty phones are needed for text messages, no one is going to try and txt using a number pad. That is stupid.
2. smart phones work with wifi (if you can wifi where you want to use your phone, why pay for a data plan?)
3. GPS works just fine with no data plan.

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

aaronwt

Premium Member

said by r81984:

said by plencnerb:

I would think the other option to avoid the data plan fee is get a phone that is not a smartphone. Why have a smartphone if all you want is to make voice calls anyway?

--Brian

..............2. smart phones work with wifi (if you can wifi where you want to use your phone, why pay for a data plan?)

\

because public Wi-Fi is too slow. Heck 3G is too slow.

plencnerb
Premium Member
join:2000-09-25
53403-1242

plencnerb to r81984

Premium Member

to r81984
said by r81984:

said by plencnerb:

--Brian

You cant possibly be this dense. You must be trolling me.
Who said I only wanted to make voice calls???
1. qwerty phones are needed for text messages, no one is going to try and txt using a number pad. That is stupid.
2. smart phones work with wifi (if you can wifi where you want to use your phone, why pay for a data plan?)
3. GPS works just fine with no data plan.

I'm not trolling, just replying to your question with another question. IF you were someone who only needed to make voice calls, then why have a phone that did other things. I did not want to imply or give the impression that you said you only needed to make voice only calls. But, that was one way to avoid having a data charge.

I agree that if you don't have a querty phone, texting on a number pad sucks. Of course, before smartphones, that is what everyone did, which is why all those funny 3 letter words (LOL, TXT, BRB) and so on came to be. No one liked to text on a number pad. However, I am someone who does not like to text, and I tell my friends that if they want to get a hold of me to call my cell phone.

Yes, most smartphones have a built-in GPS, something you don't get with a non smartphone. However, if you already own a GPS (which, in my case I do, a Garmin Nuvi), why have 2 GPS's?

--Brian

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium Member
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX

r81984

Premium Member

said by plencnerb:

I agree that if you don't have a querty phone, texting on a number pad sucks. Of course, before smartphones, that is what everyone did, which is why all those funny 3 letter words (LOL, TXT, BRB) and so on came to be. No one liked to text on a number pad. However, I am someone who does not like to text, and I tell my friends that if they want to get a hold of me to call my cell phone.

Yes, most smartphones have a built-in GPS, something you don't get with a non smartphone. However, if you already own a GPS (which, in my case I do, a Garmin Nuvi), why have 2 GPS's?

Actually I never text'd with a number pad phone as the thought was stupid to me from day 1.
I had the nokia 6800 qwerty keypad phone.
That came out in 2002.
The nokia 6800 has to be the best designed qwerty phone of all time. Nothing has the same level of comfort and speed for typing. It is sad they stopped making phones to that design.

I usually tell people to text me than call. If I cant answer I would rather have a text than a VM. And calling me for something quick to say, it is quicker just to text.
It helps now using google voice for VM that transcribes my VM in an txt message.

I have a TomTom GPS, but it always comes in handy to have GPS with anywhere you need it. If you are going to carry a phone, might as well have one that can do many things even if you only need to do that thing rarely.
« What about Wifi
This is a sub-selection from I don't use 2gb.