Search similar:

uniqs

SHoTTa35
@optonline.net

SHoTTa35 to thinkpad

Anon

to thinkpad

Re: 8 downsteam

Damnit, seems everywhere around me getting 8 channels recently. Milford already did now Stamford.

I'm guessing each town has it's own CMTS which then connects to headends in special areas (like Stamford connects to Norwalk's headend while Fairfield/Stratford/Milford connects to Bridgeport's).

Dunno about Westport or anywhere else but guess I could check this weekend when i'm there for a job again.

blohner
join:2002-06-26
Lehigh Acres, FL

blohner to cbstegs

to cbstegs
8 channels in Cortlandt (Ossining Headend)...

jaa
Premium Member
join:2000-06-13

jaa to cbstegs

Premium Member

to cbstegs
8 channels here too - Norwalk, CT headend. Did not require a reboot - uptime says 34d, and I checked about a week or two ago and it was 5 channels.
frdrizzt
join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY

frdrizzt

Yeah, 8-channel upgrades don't require a reboot. If there is no downstream bonding you would want to do a reboot, but the actual change from 5/6 to 8 does not need a reboot. If there is any additional work to the CMTS done, it may end up with a reboot as a result of that.

SHoTTa35
@optonline.net

SHoTTa35

Anon

said by frdrizzt:

Yeah, 8-channel upgrades don't require a reboot. If there is no downstream bonding you would want to do a reboot, but the actual change from 5/6 to 8 does not need a reboot. If there is any additional work to the CMTS done, it may end up with a reboot as a result of that.

You seem like you got some inside info or maybe work for CV or something so wanna leak some info on the Fairfield/Bridgeport CMTSes! LOL I keep checking but no change

(i know it doesn't make a difference as I get my full speeds now, just messing around. Wouldn't want anyone getting in trouble anyways! )
frdrizzt
Ronkonkoma, NY

frdrizzt

said by SHoTTa35 :

said by frdrizzt:

You seem like you got some inside info or maybe work for CV or something so wanna leak some info on the Fairfield/Bridgeport CMTSes! LOL I keep checking but no change

(i know it doesn't make a difference as I get my full speeds now, just messing around. Wouldn't want anyone getting in trouble anyways! )

Bridgeport upgraded this morning. Fairfield still at 5 channels.
majortom1029
join:2006-10-19
Medford, NY

majortom1029 to cbstegs

to cbstegs
I am still at 6 here in huntington.

SHoTTa35
@optonline.net

SHoTTa35 to frdrizzt

Anon

to frdrizzt

Bridgeport upgraded this morning. Fairfield still at 5 channels.

Haha, just the 1 day I didn't check the other location first and that's when it upgraded. Cool to know but i'm in Fairfield now and did check here but saw 5 as you mentioned.

Since you can apparently make magic happen - how about throwing up that blue upstream light on my modem? Pretty please?
SHoTTa35

SHoTTa35

Anon

Seems like Fairfield got upgraded last night too*:

Looking good there (signals not so great but at least still get the speed we pay for.)

*-As was mentioned earlier - Bridgeport was updated also, just didn't capture a screenshot.

Stratford - Not sure as my friend's modem was showing 4 channels on her Arris but i'm not sure if she had the older model or not, didn't check the modem number!
frdrizzt
Ronkonkoma, NY

frdrizzt

Yeah, I didn't have a chance to say earlier, Fairfield upgraded last night. I thought that would make all of CT, but I could be off on that.

jaa
Premium Member

jaa to cbstegs

Premium Member

to cbstegs
I call the 8 downstream channels a good start.

I'd like to see them add 8 more down and one more up to double the capacity of their network. 8 down/1 up for regular, and the other 8 down/1 up for boost/plus/ultra.

Then add another bonded upstream channel for boost/plus/ultra.

Then raise the upload limits on boost, plus, and ultra. Leave the "base" tier alone and keep the price where it is - it is fine for most people at least for now (including me), and the price point is reasonable.

I think they will be able to find the downstream channels, but the upstream channels may be a challenge.
majortom1029
Medford, NY

majortom1029

said by jaa:

I call the 8 downstream channels a good start.

I'd like to see them add 8 more down and one more up to double the capacity of their network. 8 down/1 up for regular, and the other 8 down/1 up for boost/plus/ultra.

Then add another bonded upstream channel for boost/plus/ultra.

Then raise the upload limits on boost, plus, and ultra. Leave the "base" tier alone and keep the price where it is - it is fine for most people at least for now (including me), and the price point is reasonable.

I think they will be able to find the downstream channels, but the upstream channels may be a challenge.

They need to complete the analog to digital conversion first to get the upstream channels.
TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
MVM
join:2002-07-04
East Stroudsburg, PA

TheWiseGuy to jaa

MVM

to jaa
Click for full size
On a long term basis with additional investment they certainly will be able to add more downstream channels. They can increase the upper limit of MHz from 750MHz in most areas to even 1GHz. That adds a lot of channel capacity. They can move to MPEG4 which would allow greater compression of the video channels freeing up bandwidth for more video and Internet. See the jpg above for the channels my provider here uses, all above 870MHz

I tend to doubt they will add many more channels short term except where needed by congestion. They have already increased the capacity significantly over the last 2 years.

jaa
Premium Member

jaa to majortom1029

Premium Member

to majortom1029
said by majortom1029:

They need to complete the analog to digital conversion first to get the upstream channels.

That's great news - I didn't realize that would free up the appropriate frequencies. I think upload will be the next bottleneck; I'm surprised it is not already.
jaa

jaa to TheWiseGuy

Premium Member

to TheWiseGuy
said by TheWiseGuy:

They have already increased the capacity significantly over the last 2 years.

Agreed - probably about 3x in most areas, and 6x or more in the really congested areas. But I hope they will continue to do node splits and add channels for internet so we never have the congestion issues like we had prior to D3.

My fear is they will have different ideas. All I want it a big, cheap, generic pipe. CV probably wants to remain relevant and not just be relegated to being a commodity internet pipe, so they may dump money into value-add service to sustain relevancy.
majortom1029
Medford, NY

majortom1029 to jaa

to jaa
the freuqencies from 42mhz and below is what is used by upstream , if they change it to docsis 3 then it can go up to 85mhz. I am gathering cablevision is waiting till all analog channels are gone before activating upstream channel bonding. Remember cablevision tries to roll things out to everybody as quick as possible. The 5- 15mhz channels are noisy and not really usedso that leaves even less channels right now for upstream.

They are looking into a docsis 3.1 spec that gives the cable companies even more room for upstream.
Bob4
Account deleted
join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

Bob4

said by majortom1029:

Remember cablevision tries to roll things out to everybody as quick as possible.

We folks in New Jersey would disagree.

jaa
Premium Member

jaa to majortom1029

Premium Member

to majortom1029
said by majortom1029:

They are looking into a docsis 3.1 spec that gives the cable companies even more room for upstream.

That is good to hear. Speeds are pretty good now, but they need to keep adding capacity to keep it that way.

kickass69
join:2002-06-03
Lake Hopatcong, NJ

kickass69 to majortom1029

to majortom1029
Would that require yet again even newer model modems?
dm145
join:2009-12-12
Clifton, NJ

dm145

The arris tm822g are 8x4 so they should be good for a while

limegrass69
No Whammies
join:2008-05-28

limegrass69 to kickass69

to kickass69
Not necessarily. They could provision some modems to use certain channels, and other modems to use different channels.
TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
MVM
join:2002-07-04
East Stroudsburg, PA

TheWiseGuy to kickass69

MVM

to kickass69
To initially bond channels the present modems are fine but the Arris 822G will only bond upstream in the 5-42 MHz range. The Arris TM822A/S will bond up to 65MHz but only in the EuroDocsis mode. None will bond in the possible Docsis 3.1 modes which are speculated to have a range that tops at 95-200MHz.

This is one of the reasons you don't just flood the subscriber base when a new modem comes out. There will be future upgrades and it makes more sense giving new modems to those having problems because then it makes sense for the company to give out the new modem when it is available.
jcondon
join:2000-05-27
Fishkill, NY

jcondon to momcat1

to momcat1
I just checked and in Fishkill we have 8 now too.

DAOWAce
join:2006-10-25
Flanders, NJ

DAOWAce to cbstegs

to cbstegs
said by Bob4:

said by majortom1029:

Remember cablevision tries to roll things out to everybody as quick as possible.

+1

Still at 5 channels in Flanders.

Eagerly waiting for the bump in speed to combat Comcast/Verizon increases..

andrewc2
join:2011-06-05
Matamoras, PA

andrewc2 to Bob4

to Bob4
said by Bob4:

said by majortom1029:

We folks in Matamoras, PA would disagree even more!
chunk73
Premium Member
join:2002-02-22
Trumbull, CT

chunk73 to cbstegs

Premium Member

to cbstegs
8 downstream channels confirmed in Fairfield CT on a Arris TM8222G.