Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ExoticFish

join:2008-08-31
Stuarts Draft, VA
reply to jlivingood

Re: [Speed] Heads-Up: Time to Replace Your DOCSIS 1.1 Modem

All of which is dependent upon Comcast upgrading all systems to D3.
--
»www.VAJeeps.com

TriForce

join:2008-05-27
Chico, CA

1 edit
reply to jlivingood
Nevermind, wrong question to ask. D2 modems will still work but won't be capable of new speeds. D1 modems will fail to work.

rendrenner

join:2005-09-03
Grandville, MI
reply to jlivingood
With recommendations to go to a D3 modem now, is Comcast going to increase availability of D3 modems so techs can swap out devices for those customers who rent from Comcast?

cwpc

join:2003-04-13
Crum Lynne, PA
reply to jlivingood
iF i lease a D2 EMTA can i request a D3 device to ensure future compatability?

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast
I'm sure they will notify and ship D3 devices to you well before it is required.
for our area going all digital for tv, we just recieve a second letter with still a month to go (and we already had the new equipment delivered a week ago, plus they will attempt to call any remaining subs.
It is never in ComCasts interest to make thing more difficult that nessesary for any customer so cutting people off or forcing 2 replacemnts in short order will be rare mistake (it probably will happen, but they are working hard to avoid that.

ExoticFish

join:2008-08-31
Stuarts Draft, VA
reply to cwpc
You may have to temporally upgrade to a D3 tier, but you can drop it back down after they replace your modem.
--
»www.VAJeeps.com

koitsu
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
kudos:23
reply to jlivingood
jlivingood See Profile, I have a question pertaining to the Comcast CSR side of things when it comes to troubleshooting.

With DOCSIS 1.x and 2.x modems, a subscriber's modem negotiates a single downstream and single upstream carrier frequency (e.g. 2 channels total).

However, with DOCSIS 3.x and use of channel bonding, depending on the modem brand and the configuration on Comcast's side, a modem can have up to 8 downstream carriers and 4 (or more?) upstream carriers in use simultaneously. (For example, my SB6121 negotiates 4 downstream / 3 upstream, while my Zoom 5431J negotates 8 downstream / 3 upstream). The advantage here is that this "distributes the load" across multiple frequencies. But you know this already.

Here's my question:

Every single time I have spoken to Comcast CSRs about problems with a carrier frequency range (e.g. "an issue with a single channel") -- and here's a real-world example -- the CSR appears to have absolutely no visibility into this (or if they do, they aren't being trained how to do it). Instead, they just say "your upstream looks fine" and "your downstream looks fine". I ask them to give me numbers (for which a SB6121 should show them 4 downstream SNRs and power levels, and 3 upstream SNRs and power levels), but all they appear to have on their screen is a single downstream SNR + power level and a single upstream SNR + power level. This does not help when it comes to DOCSIS 3.x.

I hope you can see where I'm going with this... The problem quickly becomes an argument while on the phone; "no, my modem shows that downstream carrier freq. 753MHz has a serious SNR problem" "Well sir our system shows that your downstream SNR is just fine".

So with the major push to DOCSIS 3.x, is something being done about this from a customer service perspective? Visibility into all the details is extremely important when it comes to troubleshooting issues, while the existing system seems to be set up with the DOCSIS 1.x / 2.x mentality in mind.

Can you shed some light on this? Thanks!
--
Making life hard for others since 1977.
I speak for myself and not my employer/affiliates of my employer.

jlivingood
Premium,VIP
join:2007-10-28
Philadelphia, PA
kudos:2
reply to cwpc
said by cwpc:

iF i lease a D2 EMTA can i request a D3 device to ensure future compatability?

It is always dependent upon local inventory / supply but it never hurts to ask for a D3 device when you are given a new / replacement leased device.
--
JL
Comcast

jlivingood
Premium,VIP
Philadelphia, PA

3 recommendations

reply to koitsu
said by koitsu:

Every single time I have spoken to Comcast CSRs about problems with a carrier frequency range (e.g. "an issue with a single channel") -- and here's a real-world example -- the CSR appears to have absolutely no visibility into this (or if they do, they aren't being trained how to do it). Instead, they just say "your upstream looks fine" and "your downstream looks fine". I ask them to give me numbers (for which a SB6121 should show them 4 downstream SNRs and power levels, and 3 upstream SNRs and power levels), but all they appear to have on their screen is a single downstream SNR + power level and a single upstream SNR + power level. This does not help when it comes to DOCSIS 3.x.

Good feedback - which relates to the tools that our Care team has. Let me give that some thought and see what we can do to solve it.
--
JL
Comcast

mb

join:2000-07-23
Washington, NJ
Just ordered a Motorola SB6141. Does it support IPV6, my SB6120 does, and can it be configured via the walled garden method or must I call in?

SHoTTa35

@optonline.net
All D3 modems support IPv6 as it's part of the specification. The difference is if Comcast certifies it on their network to be IPv6 compliant. AFAIK, they do however.

Wayne99021
Premium
join:2004-12-28
Mead, WA
kudos:1
reply to mb
Comcast doesn't show it as IPV6, but it is.
Go to the Motorola site or any dealer that sells them and it will show it does support IPV6.
I have that modem and really like it, I think you will to.

mb

join:2000-07-23
Washington, NJ
Did you use the walled garden process to associate it with your account, or did you call in to have it provisioned?

Wayne99021
Premium
join:2004-12-28
Mead, WA
No. I had tried the wall garden a couple times without success on other modems so stopped trying.
Call Comcast, give them the MAC address and they can have you up and going in about 10 minutes.
They can also look at your signals at the same time.

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
reply to jlivingood
I am glad to see that Comcast is offering several popular cable modems/gateways at competitive prices because I have been considering getting an SB612x for my business class account since I no longer have a pressing need for static IP addresses (but I don't want to have to use the SMCD3G's limited NAT implementation).

I have a question that perhaps jlivingood See Profile (or some other Comcast employee) can answer. If I purchase an SB6121 from the »mynewmodem.comcast.net/ Amazon affiliated store, does Comcast honor the warranty, or would I need to go through Amazon or Motorola should that device go belly up during the warranty period? I know that when I was an AT&T DSL customer, a DSL modem/gateway that was purchased from AT&T (as opposed to Amazon, TigerDirect, et al) would be replaced by AT&T should if fail during the warranty period (and I would hope that Comcast would do so as well).
--
We can never have enough of nature.
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

jlivingood
Premium,VIP
Philadelphia, PA
said by NetFixer:

I have a question that perhaps jlivingood See Profile (or some other Comcast employee) can answer. If I purchase an SB6121 from the »mynewmodem.comcast.net/ Amazon affiliated store, does Comcast honor the warranty, or would I need to go through Amazon or Motorola should that device go belly up during the warranty period?

If you want a warranty through Comcast then you really want to lease a device from us. If you are buying a device from us it is provided by Amazon and thus your recourse for returns is via Amazon in that case.
--
JL
Comcast

Chris 313
Come get some
Premium
join:2004-07-18
Houma, LA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Vonage
·Comcast
·Comcast Digital ..
said by jlivingood:

said by NetFixer:

I have a question that perhaps jlivingood See Profile (or some other Comcast employee) can answer. If I purchase an SB6121 from the »mynewmodem.comcast.net/ Amazon affiliated store, does Comcast honor the warranty, or would I need to go through Amazon or Motorola should that device go belly up during the warranty period?

If you want a warranty through Comcast then you really want to lease a device from us. If you are buying a device from us it is provided by Amazon and thus your recourse for returns is via Amazon in that case.

What about CDV hardware? I know that Best buy in some areas was selling EMTA models, but I read that they weren't doing that anymore. Are ya'll gonna hook up with Amazon to sell EMTA models that are Comcast approved? I've seen that Amazon already sells EMTAs but it's hit or miss whether Comcast would activate a legit bought model vs one bought off Ebay or the like.

jlivingood
Premium,VIP
Philadelphia, PA
said by Chris 313:

What about CDV hardware?....Are ya'll gonna hook up with Amazon to sell EMTA models that are Comcast approved?

Yes - we're working on that now (but it will take some time).
--
JL
Comcast

Chris 313
Come get some
Premium
join:2004-07-18
Houma, LA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Vonage
·Comcast
·Comcast Digital ..
said by jlivingood:

said by Chris 313:

What about CDV hardware?....Are ya'll gonna hook up with Amazon to sell EMTA models that are Comcast approved?

Cool. I don't anticipate being D3 upgraded until the end of the year or into 2013. Also, do you have any EMTA only models on the Amazon list or are they all gateway all in one devices? I really hope you have EMTA only devices as well as gateways on the list as I despise all in one devices since they make problem solving and use with complicated setups a real pain.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to jlivingood
said by jlivingood:

said by Chris 313:

I am glad to hear this, especially now that Comcast has approved the Arris TM822G, which would give us an 8x4 D3 eMTA that is not a wireless gateway, to choose from.
--
Deeds, not words

Bink63
Namedrop THIS
Premium
join:2002-10-06
Everywhere
reply to jlivingood
Comcast needs to get on the ball and stop incorrectly listing my Thomson DCW615 as a DOCSIS 1/1.1 then!

It's clearly a DOCSIS 2.0 unit and yet because of your error, it's incorrectly provisioned as a 1/1.1.

Sorry, I'm not shelling out another $80+ or going back to paying Comcast's exhorbitant lease rates because of your mistake.

It looks like it's time to call uVerse.

--
Hopefully the Ministry Of Truth and Thought Police can sort this whole thing out.
»twitter.com/Bink63
»www.legacypcs.com
Frank Shoemaker would call this noise
GO Cubs GO!!!

yourewrong

@comcast.net
said by Bink63:

Comcast needs to get on the ball and stop incorrectly listing my Thomson DCW615 as a DOCSIS 1/1.1 then!

It's clearly a DOCSIS 2.0 unit and yet because of your error, it's incorrectly provisioned as a 1/1.1.

Sorry, I'm not shelling out another $80+ or going back to paying Comcast's exhorbitant lease rates because of your mistake.

The device is a 1.1 device. You may not believe it but RCA says so, sorry:

»www.cygategroup.com/upload/Finla···_low.pdf

»www.timewarnercable.com/MediaLib···w615.pdf

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:16

4 edits
reply to Bink63
Click for full size
Page from DCW615 manual
said by Bink63:

Yeah, it's clearly a DOCSIS 1.x modem made around 2003, not sure where you got the idea it's DOCSIS 2:
»www.speedguide.net/routers/techn···ble-2002

[edit] Looking at the Cablelabs Qualification list shows the same:
»cablelabs.com/certqual/lists/cert_qual.xls

Cablelabs Cert list excerpt...

First listed in certification wave 25 from April 2003

Comcast can't provision a modem beyond what the hardware is capable of... well they could try but it'll either ignore it or it won't work. It's an OLD modem, Comcast can't make it DOCSIS 2. Get a new modem.

Yes, Comcast made a mistake... in labeling it a DOCSIS 2 modem. The only mistake they can fix is correcting their page to show it's a DOCSIS 1.1 modem.
--
If it's important, back it up... twice. Even 99.999% availability isn't enough sometimes.

Bink63
Namedrop THIS
Premium
join:2002-10-06
Everywhere
reply to jlivingood
Click for full size
Hmmm...
A few things to cover here...

my post was directed to a Comcast employee who is intimately familiar with what goes on behind the scenes there and has the ability to dig into the issue I stated to HIM...

also,

"Thomson DCW615 Wireless Gateway Cable Modem
Device Details
Make Thomson
Model DCW615
Device Type CableModem
DOCSIS Version 2.0
End of Life? 10/2011 "
from »mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/device.···=&sc=440

and I have more than a few years under my belt dealing with the under the hood aspects of Comcast HSI.

--
Hopefully the Ministry Of Truth and Thought Police can sort this whole thing out.
»twitter.com/Bink63
»www.legacypcs.com
Frank Shoemaker would call this noise
GO Cubs GO!!!

sorrybub

@comcast.net
reply to Bink63
said by Bink63:

»www.speedguide.net/routers/techn···ble-2002

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:16

4 edits

1 recommendation

reply to Bink63

Internal DCW615 board with heatsink removed

Screenshot of datasheet

downloadbcm3360.pdf 250324 bytes
Broadcom BCM3360 datasheet

Comcast's device page is wrong listing it as a DOCSIS 2 modem.

The RCA DCW615 has a Broadcom 3360 chip in it, which is a DOCSIS 1.0/1.1 chip:
»doc.chipfind.ru/broadcom/bcm3360.htm

Unless you have some other evidence, such as documents, firmware, and a newer hardware revision to that model from RCA/Technicolor... The most Comcast can do is correct their page to correctly show that it's a DOCSIS 1.1 modem.

[edit] I tried searching Broadcom's site for the datasheet, but the chipset is so old it's not listed in there publicly accessible archives. The link to the Russian site was the easiest to follow.

[edit2] Look at the label on the modem for the FCC ID number (it's probably MSQDCW615), then look it up here:
»transition.fcc.gov/oet/ea/fccid/

Otherwise crack open the modem and look at the main chip, then lookup the part number on the website of your choice.
--
If it's important, back it up... twice. Even 99.999% availability isn't enough sometimes.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Bink63
said by Bink63:

Nothing lasts forever, and although owning your own modem has benefits, eventually, as with any other computer/networking piece of equipment, it reaches the point of obsolescence. Your modem is correctly provisioned as the Docsis 1.1 unit that it is. Though Comcast mistakenly listed your modem as a D2 device, they did correctly note that it is now "end-of-life".

That is an old unit, which surely served its purpose, "shelling out another $80+" is not unreasonable to replace an obsolete unit.

As far as Comcast's lease rates being "exhorbinant", that is one opinion. I do not consider their lease rate to be overly onerous. There are circumstances where renting the modem (especially a more expensive eMTA) may be as cost effective, or even preferable to owning. I have already had Comcast replace my original Docsis 2.0 eMTA for a a Docsis 3.0 eMTA...at no cost to me (Comcast even paid the shipping both ways).

P.S. This is from someone who has had many an obsolete piece of computer/networking hardware gather dust in my closet! When Win XP came out, I was not angry with Microsoft that it was not designed to work well with my ancient i386 desktop...if everything was backwards-compatible forever, there would be no broadband internet access at all...
--
Deeds, not words
Expand your moderator at work

nysports4evr
Premium
join:2010-01-23

1 recommendation

Re: [Speed] Heads-Up: Time to Replace Your DOCSIS 1.1 Modem

Well, I would certainly trust a datasheet on the modem's chipset over you/the Comcast website. .ru or not.

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

4 edits
reply to Anon
Mod Note: This is a reply to a now non-existent post. ~sorto'
=================================================
This reply to you is an example of how a public Internet forum works.

And since you seem to trust Comcast's description of the DCW615 as a DOCSIS 2 device, perhaps you would be interested in seeing what the user manual on the Comcast web site says on the subject?

Here is a link to the official manual if you should care to look at it: http://media2.comcast.net/anon.comcastonline2/support/help/manuals/rca_dcw615r.pdf *

The user manual is also available from the Gateway support site if you need a source other than Comcast: http://support.gateway.com/s/Manuals/Desktops/Network/7004892/DCW615_IB.pdf *

* EDIT: made the urls un-clickable since PDF files can be used to launch other applications (although I did check these out before posting the links).

Unfortunately, this device is so old, RCA/Thomson don't seem to want to even admit that they manufactured it, so no manual appears to available directly from the manufacturer.

Of course if your "DECADES OF HANDS ON" means that you know more than the manufacturer, and then I guess that you won't need to look at the official manufacturer's documentation.

EDIT: added additional screen shots.
Here are several relevant screen shots from Adobe's PDF reader:

Strange, but I don't see any reference to the device being DOCSIS 2 compliant, but I do see that it is officially called a DOCSIS 1.0/1.1 device.
--
We can never have enough of nature.
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.