share rss forum feed

Bink63
Namedrop THIS
Premium
join:2002-10-06
Everywhere
reply to jlivingood

Re: [Speed] Heads-Up: Time to Replace Your DOCSIS 1.1 Modem

Comcast needs to get on the ball and stop incorrectly listing my Thomson DCW615 as a DOCSIS 1/1.1 then!

It's clearly a DOCSIS 2.0 unit and yet because of your error, it's incorrectly provisioned as a 1/1.1.

Sorry, I'm not shelling out another $80+ or going back to paying Comcast's exhorbitant lease rates because of your mistake.

It looks like it's time to call uVerse.

--
Hopefully the Ministry Of Truth and Thought Police can sort this whole thing out.
»twitter.com/Bink63
»www.legacypcs.com
Frank Shoemaker would call this noise
GO Cubs GO!!!

yourewrong

@comcast.net
said by Bink63:

Comcast needs to get on the ball and stop incorrectly listing my Thomson DCW615 as a DOCSIS 1/1.1 then!

It's clearly a DOCSIS 2.0 unit and yet because of your error, it's incorrectly provisioned as a 1/1.1.

Sorry, I'm not shelling out another $80+ or going back to paying Comcast's exhorbitant lease rates because of your mistake.

The device is a 1.1 device. You may not believe it but RCA says so, sorry:

»www.cygategroup.com/upload/Finla···_low.pdf

»www.timewarnercable.com/MediaLib···w615.pdf

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:16

4 edits
reply to Bink63
Click for full size
Page from DCW615 manual
said by Bink63:

Yeah, it's clearly a DOCSIS 1.x modem made around 2003, not sure where you got the idea it's DOCSIS 2:
»www.speedguide.net/routers/techn···ble-2002

[edit] Looking at the Cablelabs Qualification list shows the same:
»cablelabs.com/certqual/lists/cert_qual.xls

Cablelabs Cert list excerpt...

First listed in certification wave 25 from April 2003

Comcast can't provision a modem beyond what the hardware is capable of... well they could try but it'll either ignore it or it won't work. It's an OLD modem, Comcast can't make it DOCSIS 2. Get a new modem.

Yes, Comcast made a mistake... in labeling it a DOCSIS 2 modem. The only mistake they can fix is correcting their page to show it's a DOCSIS 1.1 modem.
--
If it's important, back it up... twice. Even 99.999% availability isn't enough sometimes.

Bink63
Namedrop THIS
Premium
join:2002-10-06
Everywhere
reply to jlivingood
Click for full size
Hmmm...
A few things to cover here...

my post was directed to a Comcast employee who is intimately familiar with what goes on behind the scenes there and has the ability to dig into the issue I stated to HIM...

also,

"Thomson DCW615 Wireless Gateway Cable Modem
Device Details
Make Thomson
Model DCW615
Device Type CableModem
DOCSIS Version 2.0
End of Life? 10/2011 "
from »mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/device.···=&sc=440

and I have more than a few years under my belt dealing with the under the hood aspects of Comcast HSI.

--
Hopefully the Ministry Of Truth and Thought Police can sort this whole thing out.
»twitter.com/Bink63
»www.legacypcs.com
Frank Shoemaker would call this noise
GO Cubs GO!!!

sorrybub

@comcast.net
reply to Bink63
said by Bink63:

»www.speedguide.net/routers/techn···ble-2002

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
SoCal

4 edits

1 recommendation

reply to Bink63

Internal DCW615 board with heatsink removed

Screenshot of datasheet

downloadbcm3360.pdf 250324 bytes
Broadcom BCM3360 datasheet

Comcast's device page is wrong listing it as a DOCSIS 2 modem.

The RCA DCW615 has a Broadcom 3360 chip in it, which is a DOCSIS 1.0/1.1 chip:
»doc.chipfind.ru/broadcom/bcm3360.htm

Unless you have some other evidence, such as documents, firmware, and a newer hardware revision to that model from RCA/Technicolor... The most Comcast can do is correct their page to correctly show that it's a DOCSIS 1.1 modem.

[edit] I tried searching Broadcom's site for the datasheet, but the chipset is so old it's not listed in there publicly accessible archives. The link to the Russian site was the easiest to follow.

[edit2] Look at the label on the modem for the FCC ID number (it's probably MSQDCW615), then look it up here:
»transition.fcc.gov/oet/ea/fccid/

Otherwise crack open the modem and look at the main chip, then lookup the part number on the website of your choice.
--
If it's important, back it up... twice. Even 99.999% availability isn't enough sometimes.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Bink63
said by Bink63:

Nothing lasts forever, and although owning your own modem has benefits, eventually, as with any other computer/networking piece of equipment, it reaches the point of obsolescence. Your modem is correctly provisioned as the Docsis 1.1 unit that it is. Though Comcast mistakenly listed your modem as a D2 device, they did correctly note that it is now "end-of-life".

That is an old unit, which surely served its purpose, "shelling out another $80+" is not unreasonable to replace an obsolete unit.

As far as Comcast's lease rates being "exhorbinant", that is one opinion. I do not consider their lease rate to be overly onerous. There are circumstances where renting the modem (especially a more expensive eMTA) may be as cost effective, or even preferable to owning. I have already had Comcast replace my original Docsis 2.0 eMTA for a a Docsis 3.0 eMTA...at no cost to me (Comcast even paid the shipping both ways).

P.S. This is from someone who has had many an obsolete piece of computer/networking hardware gather dust in my closet! When Win XP came out, I was not angry with Microsoft that it was not designed to work well with my ancient i386 desktop...if everything was backwards-compatible forever, there would be no broadband internet access at all...
--
Deeds, not words
Expand your moderator at work

nysports4evr
Premium
join:2010-01-23
kudos:1

1 recommendation

Re: [Speed] Heads-Up: Time to Replace Your DOCSIS 1.1 Modem

Well, I would certainly trust a datasheet on the modem's chipset over you/the Comcast website. .ru or not.

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

4 edits
reply to Anon
Mod Note: This is a reply to a now non-existent post. ~sorto'
=================================================
This reply to you is an example of how a public Internet forum works.

And since you seem to trust Comcast's description of the DCW615 as a DOCSIS 2 device, perhaps you would be interested in seeing what the user manual on the Comcast web site says on the subject?

Here is a link to the official manual if you should care to look at it: http://media2.comcast.net/anon.comcastonline2/support/help/manuals/rca_dcw615r.pdf *

The user manual is also available from the Gateway support site if you need a source other than Comcast: http://support.gateway.com/s/Manuals/Desktops/Network/7004892/DCW615_IB.pdf *

* EDIT: made the urls un-clickable since PDF files can be used to launch other applications (although I did check these out before posting the links).

Unfortunately, this device is so old, RCA/Thomson don't seem to want to even admit that they manufactured it, so no manual appears to available directly from the manufacturer.

Of course if your "DECADES OF HANDS ON" means that you know more than the manufacturer, and then I guess that you won't need to look at the official manufacturer's documentation.

EDIT: added additional screen shots.
Here are several relevant screen shots from Adobe's PDF reader:

Strange, but I don't see any reference to the device being DOCSIS 2 compliant, but I do see that it is officially called a DOCSIS 1.0/1.1 device.
--
We can never have enough of nature.
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
SoCal

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to Anon

Quote removed by ~sorto'

I have the knowledge and experience to look up the correct sources for info on YOUR modem.

Manufacturers manual and link = posted.
Cablelab's certification status and link= posted.
FCC ID search info and link = posted.
Main chipmaker's datasheet and link = posted.

Why are you attacking me? Go after your modem.
Why do you need info on me? Look for info on your modem.
--

TriForce

join:2008-05-27
Chico, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
reply to Anon
This is a community, we promote and answer each other.

As stated by DrDrew and others, Comcast made a mistake labeling this modem as being DOCSIS 2.0 certified. Of course, the data sheet and user manual links are broken on the page, that should come up with what NetFixer posted.

biomesh
Premium
join:2006-07-08
Tomball, TX

1 recommendation

reply to Anon
The benefits of docsis 3 devices far outweigh the costs of upgrading unless you still have a wireless b router and 10 base T hubs. Don't forget not minding slowdowns when all of your neighbors are using the same channels at the same time.
IMO, someone with decades of computer experience should have no issue keeping their network up to date - and I don't mean gigabit, although it is nice and is cheap.

telcodad
Premium
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:15
reply to jlivingood
Looks like customers with leased DOCSIS 1.1 modems have been receiving letters and/or getting calls from Comcast to replace their modems (»forums.comcast.com/t5/Connectivi···/1409005).

There is now a webpage with a form to fill out for those customers to do this: »www.comcast.com/deviceupgrade/?S···ect=true

jlivingood
Premium,VIP
join:2007-10-28
Philadelphia, PA
kudos:2
said by telcodad:

Looks like customers with leased DOCSIS 1.1 modems have been receiving letters and/or getting calls from Comcast to replace their modems (»forums.comcast.com/t5/Connectivi···/1409005).

There is now a webpage with a form to fill out for those customers to do this: »www.comcast.com/deviceupgrade/?S···ect=true

And if you *own* your D1.1 device, just go to »mynewmodem.comcast.net/ for suggested D3.0 devices.
--
JL
Comcast

mikemacman

join:2004-05-29
Saint Paul, MN
reply to jlivingood
When will DOCSIS 1.1 be shut off? Will customers get a notice that says "upgrade your device by X date or it will be shut off"?

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast
I think this thread is first/early notice, second notice will be an ATTEMPT (via billing address or email) to let you know shortly( a couple months before) third notice may be a popup/walled garden sign-on, and forth is it no longer works.

When J said SOON, he means within the year maybe sooner in some locations, so don't wait to long to buy or be ready to exchange your rented modem pronto!
Don't wait for the car to stall before you look for a gas station.

motorola870

join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX
kudos:4
reply to plencnerb
said by plencnerb:

I do agree. Doing it in stages (remove the 1.0 first, then the 1.1 next, and then remove the 2.x last) is the best move.

Not to mention, those with D2 eMTA's (like myself) have very few (if any options) to purchase a D3 eMTA on their own. While I rent, I know there are quite a number of people who do purchase, and if they have a D2 eMTA now, and want to go buy a D3 one, the options are not very good (if any exist at all).

Hopefully when Comcast does force the D2's off the network, there will be more options to purchase a D3 eMTA then there are now.

--Brian

DOCSIS 2.0 will probably not go away due to what DrDrew is saying the boxes out there currently do not have DOCSIS 3.0 bonding capability but motorola says that I think the DCX series boxes and maybe the DCH have a DOCSIS 2.0+ which I think can bond 3 channels for the cable modem but you would have to have a firmware upgrade from motorola to support it and none of the current firmware versions support DOCSIS 2.0+ on the boxes internal modem. Time Warner Cable is already using DOCSIS modems in boxes in my area to deliver the tru2way Navigator 5.2 black guide data on DCX3200M and DCX3400M as well as the DCX3510M. My area has legacy iGuide boxes as well that just got BIAP apps this last july to support TWC's caller id on tv as well as their nifty startover and lookback features. Now TWC pretty much has blended SDV, VOD, and network DVR features (startover/lookback) in my area.