Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski to aSic

Premium Member

to aSic

Re: [Rant] You dont have any what?

said by aSic:

@tshirt See Profile, I agree, but doing locates on the property isnt required, as everything in the area is aerial except the CATV.

Interesting, never heard of aerial sewer and water lines before....
neufuse
join:2006-12-06
James Creek, PA

1 recommendation

neufuse

Never been to Rome? *lol*

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

You got me on that one!

aSic
application specific
Premium Member
join:2001-05-17
Wakulla, FL

2 edits

aSic to ptrowski

Premium Member

to ptrowski
said by ptrowski:

said by aSic:

@tshirt See Profile, I agree, but doing locates on the property isnt required, as everything in the area is aerial except the CATV.

If we had municipal sewer and water, they probably would be aerial too considering the IQ of the neighboring populace (poo flingers!). I must remember not everyone lives in the woods like I do. All the homes have septic systems, and wells for water supply. Only "connections to the outside world" are power, phone, both aerial, and CATV, which is buried.

edit: as for the locate.. I agree with the other replies, if this was somewhere other than a private two-rut dirt easement bordering a state forest, that requires about a half mile drive off the highway to get to. There could likely be fiber, water, etc everywhere near civilization. However, the entire county is like this, minus homes on the actual highways, or near the unincorporated city center. Its not like the contractors are from another state. They live and work here. They know how it is. They know...well, at least I would know, that any home that is not on the actual highway or near a city center would more than likely need an extended drop.

I agree this situation is not common...for the rest of the world. But it is common in this area. Why wouldnt they be prepared?

I know this is like arguing with a rock, but thats why I put the Rant tag on the thread. To express my displeasure with the outcome.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

Yes it's got to be frustrating, but your install is definitely not the norm so they can not have all things ready at all times.

ropeguru
Premium Member
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

ropeguru to ptrowski

Premium Member

to ptrowski
said by ptrowski:

said by aSic:

Hmmm... Rural area, has well water and local septic tank. Never heard of this before?

You need to get out more.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

I grew up in exactly an area like that. Was just poking fun at his comment of everything being aerial.

Streetlight
join:2005-11-07
Colorado Springs, CO

Streetlight to ropeguru

to ropeguru
You never know what's buried in a rural area.

I was visiting in-laws in Iowa some years ago when a massive explosion and fire occurred in the a corn/soybean field not far from us. Many Iowa farm fields have installed what are called tiles buried in their fields to drain water to fairly large drainage ditches. The machines that dig the trenches for the tiles are pretty big as the ditches are quite deep maybe as much as eight feet. During a tiling operation the trenching machine hit and ruptured a large, high pressure natural gas line setting the escaping gas on fire. The operators were all killed as was the driver of a pickup truck that had just been driven to the site. The woman driver was instantly turned to charcoal. Asphalt shingled residential roofs up to a mile away were melted. Closer houses were severely damaged.

Now, digging a trench with a small trenching machine isn't likely to go deep enough to reach such a pipe, but who knows. However, it may not go deep enough to prevent future damage to the buried Comcast cable. If you've lived in a rural area served by gravel roads you know that the road is maintained using a grader whose purpose is to rearrange the surface gravel and smooth out irregularities in the road. This maintenance could damage a buried cable close to the surface. It would seem to me that use of a directional boring machine would be appropriate. These machines bore down to about eight feet. Could such a machine run into a high pressure gas line the "knowledgeable" locals should know about? You bet!