kudos:2

Need help identifying tower

Click for full size
base section
Click for full size
middle section
Click for full size
tower joint
Can anyone identify what kind of tower this is from the pictures?

It is 180' tall, tapered base section, x-style cross bracing on all 3 legs with horizontal bracing for a ladder on one side. Sections are 20 feet tall and have solid legs. The face of the tower is a little wider than a Rohn 45, so maybe somewhere around 18" to 20".

Thanks,
Joe

treichhart

join:2006-12-12

Idk what kind of tower it is but is this looking like your new POP?

jcremin

join:2009-12-22
Siren, WI

said by treichhart:

Idk what kind of tower it is but is this looking like your new POP?

I'm not sure about the future of this tower. It is a county owned tower which is scheduled to be replaced with a new tower on a neighboring property within a year. The county administrator told me that it is scrap metal and worth nothing and will be demolished. The tower looks like it is in pretty good condition to me and is a hell of a lot more sturdy than any of the Rohn 25 or 45 towers I've climbed. I only went 20 feet up this tower to the first set of bolts, but shaking it as hard as I can doesn't even phase it. No wobble at all.

If the tower is really worth as much as it seems like it would be, I'm going to try to convince them not to destroy it and either let me buy/rent it from them where it currently stands, or let me take it down for them and move it somewhere else. It would be a shame to destroy a perfectly good tower.

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp
kudos:6
reply to jcremin

Is it tube or solid rod?

LLigetfa

join:2006-05-15
Fort Frances, ON
kudos:1
reply to jcremin

said by jcremin:

Sections are 20 feet tall and have solid legs.

Offer them scrap metal price less the cost to take it down if they want it gone.
--
Strange as it seems, no amount of learning can cure stupidity, and formal education positively fortifies it. -- Stephen Vizinczey

jcremin

Siren, WI
reply to John Galt

said by John Galt:

Is it tube or solid rod?

Solid from what I can tell....

WHT

join:2010-03-26
Rosston, TX
kudos:5
reply to jcremin

With that many weld beads, likely solid rod.

jcremin

Siren, WI
reply to jcremin

So nobody has any guesses as to the make or model of the tower?

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
Happy Camp
reply to jcremin

You don't find too many solid rod towers these days.

Generally speaking, it should be in good condition. I have pulled some of those from coastal areas (which is a very harsh environment) and they were always in good condition despite the exposure.

You can check it by taking a ball peen hammer and tapping on the structure. It should 'ring'...a defect will return a dull sound.

There is probably many years of service left in it. The govt. probably needs more capacity and that is why they are upgrading. If you can use the tower where it sits, great. You -will- need a crane to move it...and a good sized truck. Needless to say, it's gonna be heavy.
--
The most powerful weapon in the world is ignorance. Politicians exploit it to achieve almost anything they want.

unwired9
Premium
join:2008-04-08
Algoma, WI
reply to jcremin

I would lean towards pirod - It seems like they were pretty popular in the midwest - I've also seen some Rohn made specific for Motorola towers that were county/municipal owned but hose had typically been between a 25g and 45g tower.

jcremin

Siren, WI

said by unwired9:

I would lean towards pirod - It seems like they were pretty popular in the midwest

After doing some research, it does appear (from other pictures anyway) that you are correct about it being a PiRod.

At 25+ years old, is this tower worth the time and hassle of trying to obtain it? I think it is far from "scrap metal" as the county says, but I don't want to have to invest thousands to save something that is barely worth that much.

At that point I'd rather have invested it in a new tower. But it sounds like people really like the PiRod towers and it does look like it is in good condition.

I haven't tried the hammer trick to see how the tower "sounds" yet. I'll be up near that tower this afternoon and will give it a shot.

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium
join:2005-04-06
Cayuga, ON

My primary tower is over 40 years old., Its still very strong and its not rusting at all (angle iron tower of unknown make/origin)
--
OptionsDSL Wireless Internet
»www.optionsdsl.ca

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
Happy Camp
reply to jcremin

said by jcremin:

At 25+ years old, is this tower worth the time and hassle of trying to obtain it?

Based on what you've shown here and my experience, I'd say yes...especially if you can use it where it stands.

Solid rod towers are usually very much more robust than tube towers...

jcremin

Siren, WI

said by John Galt:

Based on what you've shown here and my experience, I'd say yes...especially if you can use it where it stands.

Thanks! That's what I'm aiming for, however the new tower will be built on the same parcel of land and zoning says only 1 tower per parcel. I'm going to see if it is worth trying to obtain a variance, but I have a feeling that they won't want to have the responsibility or liability of keeping the tower where it is. And I don't think they would be able to sell me the land since the acreage is too small to be broken into two parcels. I'm going to try to offer free removal in exchange for being able to keep the tower and I'll see what they say. I wonder how much it will cost to have a crane come lower it down for me.....

said by John Galt:

Solid rod towers are usually very much more robust than tube towers...

Yeah, that thing is damn solid. I couldn't even make it visibly move when shaking it as hard as I could from 20' up. A big difference from the Rohn 25 and 45 that I spend so much time on.

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
Happy Camp

Don't just get a crane company to pull this tower for you. Get a company that specializes in setting/removing communications towers.

Best to avoid an 'unfortunate accident'.

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
Happy Camp
reply to jcremin

Here's a Pirod:

»www.usedtowers.com/GUYED%20ANTEN···0377.jpg

jcremin

Siren, WI
reply to John Galt

said by John Galt:

Don't just get a crane company to pull this tower for you. Get a company that specializes in setting/removing communications towers

I've worked with a crane company a couple times before for erecting two towers, but never taking one down. This one is a bit taller and I'm sure quite a bit heavier too. Before I spend too much time on this, I want to make sure the county is willing to strike a deal. If not, then I just end up wasting other people's time, and I hate to do that. I am keeping my fingers crossed, but this is government so I'm not going to hold my breath.

jcremin

Siren, WI
reply to John Galt

Yep, that looks just like it!