how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

orum
Premium
join:2005-03-22
Sunnyvale, CA

Does tradtional DSL require a rental modem?

If I sign up with Sonic for traditional DSL (NOT Fusion), am I required to lease their modem for $6.50 a month? My friend switched from AT&T a couple of months ago and was able to continue to use his modem.

I'd like to be able to use my AT&T/2Wire 2701HG-B as well, otherwise the $6.50 rental added to the monthly DSL price of $14.95 is a deal killer for me.

DaneJasper
Sonic.Net
Premium,VIP
join:2001-08-20
Santa Rosa, CA
kudos:9

1 recommendation

Yes, we now include equipment (and an equipment fee) with our older DSL product. This will allow us to deploy IPv6 on this older platform, as well as other features and management.

Note also that the $14.95 price is a loss leader; it's temporary. Be sure to read the fine print, here and elsewhere. Some carriers have additional fees (typically I've seen $2.95 "network management fee" from a couple carriers), and the very low prices are generally introductory.

-Dane Jasper

dwc

join:2012-07-25
San Jose, CA
reply to orum

fwiw, I ordered online in early august and could pick a "no modem" option. I haven't seen any changes mentioned, but you can always try going through the flow... it was on the equipment pages (router type, do you need dsl filters, etc)

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to orum

said by orum:

... the $6.50 rental added to the monthly DSL price of $14.95 is a deal killer for me.

I have a friend with 'at&t Yahoo! HSI Basic' (768/384). She paid $14.95 for a year, but now pays $19.95. She tried, but AT&T won't budge; no more $14.95 for her unless she goes with DSLX, or Sonic.net, as a new customer.

Don't count on seeing $14.95 as a routine, everyday price from any provider. It is what it is, a time-limited promotion.

No, I don't like the new modem fee. But, even with the fee, Fusion is a better deal than U-verse HSI; and cheaper than any of the comparable AT&T and Comcast offerings.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum