Spring, TX
Reviews:
·ObiVoice
·flowroute
·Comcast
·voip.ms
·Callcentric

An unrelated question

Ok so maybe this does not belong here but I have no clue on where to ask this question...
And yes I tried flukso.net forum but they are not from the states and while they have been helpful it has not got me very far.

I bought a flukso device www.flukso.net

While I know I can make it work with my local server to monitor electricity I would like to do the same for my water consumption. My water meter is a Elster Amco C700 with built in register. The flukso device has a pulse port. If I was to buy a flukso water probe would it work with my meter?

TIA.
--
[nUll@dcypher ~]$

leibold
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
The documentation for the C700 water meter states that pulse generation is an optional feature. It may not be present in your specific water meter.
If it is present, it also uses magnetic coupling but neither flukso nor Elster Amco show actual dimensions of the sensor and therefore it is unclear whether it would be a good, poor or impossible fit.
Another potential problem is the water flow to pulse rate which is unknown (but certainly not metric) for the Elster Amco. The flow rate can be adjusted in the flukso meter but I didn't see whether non-metric settings are available.
--
Got some spare cpu cycles ? Join Team Helix or Team Starfire!

XCOM
digitalnUll
Premium
join:2002-06-10
Spring, TX
Reviews:
·ObiVoice
·flowroute
·Comcast
·voip.ms
·Callcentric
The most action I have seen in ages regarding this subject!
Thanks!
Ok so yes the sensor is there and as per flukso that sensor is compatible with the flukso system... the only issue is that common sense tells me that if I attach my cable to their sensor which by the way is just there lain doing nothing I can get fined by the water company.... Just a hunch..
I do have the specs for the C700 and I do know the pulse rate.
--
[nUll@dcypher ~]$

leibold
Premium,MVM
Sunnyvale, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
Some water meter advertise pulse output not just for the utility company (remote meter reading) but also for the convenience of the customer (inhouse display of water consumption). They allow for two sensors (still only one rotating magnet) so that utility and customer access don't interfere with each other.

Nevertheless you are most certainly right to be suspicious of the possible reaction by your water company. Their first thought is going to be fraud (which is not even possible this way) and their second thought is likely to take offense that you use their meter in a manner they didn't explicitly authorize first.
--
Got some spare cpu cycles ? Join Team Helix or Team Starfire!

XCOM
digitalnUll
Premium
Spring, TX
Reviews:
·ObiVoice
·flowroute
·Comcast
·voip.ms
·Callcentric
Well as a good citizen that I am I called them to make sure it was ok... Well HELL. I was told that by no means I am ALLOWED to attach anything to their meter and if I fail to comply I would be fine. This fu*** sucks. So now I have to go buy my own water meter... This is costing me more than I wanted to spent lol
Funny part 20Min after the call WDM was at my meter checking it. Just plain sad.

Thanks for the help.
--
[nUll@dcypher ~]$

leibold
Premium,MVM
Sunnyvale, CA
I wonder how long it would have taken them to show up if you had reported a problem

XCOM
digitalnUll
Premium
Spring, TX
Reviews:
·ObiVoice
·flowroute
·Comcast
·voip.ms
·Callcentric
said by leibold:

I wonder how long it would have taken them to show up if you had reported a problem

HA! lol!
Last time I reported a leak on their side it took them over a day to come and fix it.

RANT:
This is the problem we all have... we settle for nearly anything and we do not take control of this services.
The water company here is a joke and the avg system is hell. They are charging outrageous amount of money and "citizens" are ok with this...
Well I am not and I will take control of those services I pay for.
EOF RANT
--
[nUll@dcypher ~]$

XCOM
digitalnUll
Premium
Spring, TX
reply to leibold
All installed and working.
--
[nUll@dcypher ~]$