how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

tpkatl

join:2009-11-16
Dacula, GA

I got stuck on the second sentence

Which reads: " As part of that, we regularly increase the broadband speeds for our customers."

Sadly, mine hasn't changed in 4 years. The only speed change that I have seen was one that I pay $10/month extra for. And which is now, as I understand it, discontinued. (22/5)

I don't want to rain on Jason's parade, but it's a bit of an overstatement.
Expand your moderator at work

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:10
reply to tpkatl

Re: I got stuck on the second sentence

said by tpkatl:

Which reads: " As part of that, we regularly increase the broadband speeds for our customers."

Sadly, mine hasn't changed in 4 years. The only speed change that I have seen was one that I pay $10/month extra for. And which is now, as I understand it, discontinued. (22/5)

FWIW, your's may be a bit of a "sweeping statement". Maybe not in every area of the country, but here in N.J. I've been getting regular speed upgrades for the last nine years. I started at 1.5/384 and now have 50/10.

baineschile
2600 ways to live
Premium
join:2008-05-10
Sterling Heights, MI
reply to tpkatl
I am pretty sure that 4 years ago there were bonded upstream channels, and that the single was capped at 2mb. I could be wrong though.

Either way, I started with the 3/.7 connection ($43/mo), and now I am at 50/10 ($53/mo) as well, so the statement applies here

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1
reply to tpkatl
no clue if I have gotten the newest speed changes here. but when we moved to NJ it was 6/1 and it went to 12/2 only a few months later.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL
reply to tpkatl
9 years ago, I started with 1.5/0.128, and it was $42.95 (bundled with video.) The price stayed the same while speeds went up to 12/2 (16/4 with PowerBoost). They did start raising the price, but added D3, upstream bonding (which has some issues), and my PB test speed is typically 24/4 (not sure what the raw speed is.) This is all the standard Performance Tier.

There hasn't been too much of a big speed increase the past 2-3 years. The main changes were more downstream channels (from 4 to 8) and upstream bonding. At these speeds, it gets hard to justify much more unless you need multiple user support. Most streaming only needs about 6-8, maybe 10.

Madtown
Premium
join:2008-04-26
Madera, CA
reply to tpkatl
For those who gets upgrades every so often what is the competition like in your area? I want to see if my area is more likely to get upgrades every so often or not?

EG
The wings of love
Premium
Union, NJ
No other cableco's or FiOS here.

tpkatl

Dacula, GA
reply to Madtown
Only competition here is Uverse. And I live more than 3500 feet from their VRAD, so I can't get Uverse service. I tried it for 6 months back in 2009 but it was completely undependable.

So for me, Comcast HSI works dependably. But if his point was that speeds tend to go up, it isn't true.

(And yes, we recently got two bonded upstream, but it didn't do a damned thing for speed, either direction)

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast
reply to tpkatl
If you are on the ultra tier, you are grandfathered as that is no longer offered. I think that if you are on ultra, they will not routinely increase the speeds when they increase their current offerings.

I would call Comcast and look into upgrading your speed to one of their current offerings. They offer speeds up to 105/20 in most of their footprint. If you do upgrade to 105/20 you'll have to have a truck roll at a cost of $249 to check the signal levels before they provision the modem at that speed.
--
I wish I still lived in Iowa; Everything there from rent and groceries to Cable TV is much cheaper in Iowa (especially with an overbuilder in town).

The Limit
Premium
join:2007-09-25
Greensboro, NC
kudos:2
reply to baineschile
All a statement takes to be proven false is one contradiction. Just saying.

jkj860
The Final Frontier

join:2002-01-10
Valparaiso, IN
reply to tpkatl
said by tpkatl:

I started with 3/256 for 44.95/mo. 8 years ago and now have 22/5 for 54.99/mo.
--
I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard is not what I meant. Nixon

Oedipus

join:2005-05-09
reply to The Limit
said by The Limit:

"Regularly" is not defined, and therefore Jason did not say anything improper. It also bears mentioning (again) that a grandfathered tier is not going to be eligible for any "regular" or otherwise automatic upgrades because Comcast is no longer obligated to recognize its presence anywhere but on the bill that they send the customer.

EG
The wings of love
Premium
Union, NJ
reply to The Limit
said by The Limit:

Really ? Just one ? That's all ?

The Limit
Premium
join:2007-09-25
Greensboro, NC
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Windstream
reply to Oedipus
How exactly is "regularly" not defined?

»www.thefreedictionary.com/regularly

I'd say that's defined. Sure, grandfathered accounts may not be "recognized", but the statement in itself isn't true. Sure, it's valid, but not true. Validity has nothing to do with a statement being true or false.
--
"We will evaluate these integrals rigorously if we can, and non-rigorously if we must".
---Victor Moll, invited talk, Tom Osler Fest (April 17, 2010)

Oedipus

join:2005-05-09
said by The Limit:

How exactly is "regularly" not defined?

»www.thefreedictionary.com/regularly

I'd say that's defined. Sure, grandfathered accounts may not be "recognized", but the statement in itself isn't true. Sure, it's valid, but not true. Validity has nothing to do with a statement being true or false.

What I meant was that "regularly" is similar to "reasonable" and "fair" in that the definition can be interpreted in many different ways.

cpe111

join:2012-06-08
The statement is typical marketing blurb that commits nothing whilst offering everything. There is nothing in the statement that says that you WILL get regular upgrades, on the other hand it gives an expectation that your speed will be upgraded from time to time.

Regular could mean once every second or so ... as in a normal hearbeat .... or it could mean the time it takes for the sun to orbit the milky way (some 250 million years) - or indeed something in between

tpkatl

Dacula, GA
I'm the original poster.

As it happens, I phoned Comcast on Friday to see what upgraded speeds I could get. And the fun began.

Apparently their sales people are utterly incompetent in Atlanta. According to the woman I spoke to, the ONLY option I have (going from 22/5) is the 105 level for an additional $55/month).

The Comcast website mentions a 30 tier and a 50 tier, but apparently the sales staff isn't supposed to sell those.

How is a grandfathered customer supposed to get real answers?