Charlotte, NC
Reviews:
·VOIPO
·ooma
·Verizon Broadban..
·Northland Cable ..
·Time Warner Cable

[Troubleshooting] Thunderbolt loses data

About a month or so ago, my T'bolt started losing data. It would go from 4 bars of 4G to just 4 bars. All apps lost connectivity.

I put up with it for awhile. And then about 2 weeks ago, I got a new SIM card.

That didn't fix it. So, Verizon sent me a new T'bolt. I got it yesterday. Same problem.

So, Verizon sent me another new T'bolt (at this point, I have 3 T'bolts in my possession) and IT is still doing it.

Aside from today's T'bolt, all of the other ones had this problem no matter where I was.

So I call support, and they have me enable data roaming. That fixed it for about ... 30 minutes. And now, it just goes in-and-out of 4G to noG.

What do I do now?

rugby
I think I know it all.
VIP
join:2000-09-26
Plainfield, IN

I'm in Indianapolis and started using my Thunderbolt again and I am experiencing the same thing. Data keeps rebooting constantly.

ke4pym
Premium
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC
Reviews:
·VOIPO
·ooma
·Verizon Broadban..
·Northland Cable ..
·Time Warner Cable

1 edit
reply to ke4pym

Work issued me a new Motorola Razr M on Friday. GUESS what it did this morning, while puling down updates?

Lost LTE. And, by extension, all data. So this isn't an issue limited to the Thunderbolt.

Had my T'bolt in Charleston, SC and Savannah, GA last month and it did the same thing there.

Spoke with business support. It was suggested that the Facebook app is causing this. Removing it from both phones to see how that works and will post back.

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
kudos:2

said by ke4pym:

Spoke with business support. It was suggested that the Facebook app is causing this. Removing it from both phones to see how that works and will post back.

Pretty unlikely... When a support rep suggests something like this, I question them hard. You can see the permissions that the Facebook app has here,

»play.google.com/store/apps/detai···RhbmEiXQ..

(^click Permissions tab^)

and it has no hardware "control" other than camera-related stuff.

ke4pym
Premium
Charlotte, NC
Reviews:
·VOIPO
·ooma
·Verizon Broadban..
·Northland Cable ..
·Time Warner Cable

Hall - I have no idea one way or the other. It's an easy test to do and it shouldn't take any time at all to see how the phones behave.

I sort of buy the idea ATM because the problems seem to be most frequent when the FB app is active. Though, this morning, on the Razr, I'd never started the app.

However, I've noticed the issue in Google maps, too. We'll see. Like I said, easy test to remove the app and see. I'll use the web version for awhile.

ke4pym
Premium
Charlotte, NC
Reviews:
·VOIPO
·ooma
·Verizon Broadban..
·Northland Cable ..
·Time Warner Cable
reply to ke4pym

So, it seems there is something in the Facebook app that is indeed breaking the 4G connection on my Thunderbolt.

I've had the client removed (completely) from the T'bolt and the 4G connection has been solid. Everywhere I go.

Added it back at lunch. And not 30 minutes later BAM. Data is gone.

On the work Razr M, I can't completely remove Facebook. But, I was able to remove the updates. It has been fine without the updates. I've not yet put them back.