uniqs
mike_f
join:2007-01-10
Hawthorne, CA

mike_f to Suit Up

to Suit Up

Re: [TWC] Free Standard Definition box offer, questions

said by Suit Up:

If it's only for people that don't subscribe to digital cable, why did the letter they sent me not specify that?

When it comes to direct mail advertising, TWC has more money than sense. I get unbelieveable amounts of mail from them - wish they would cut back and take it off my bill.

At any rate, I think this is TWC's opportunity to 'recycle' both SD boxes and analog channel bandwidth. Several years ago HD and SD STB rental prices were consolidated (and continually raised, of course) which leads me to believe that TWC is buying mostly HD STBs (surprisingly smart for them).

It wouldn't surprise me if TWC started buying simpler Digital Terminal Adapter (DTA) type devices for hooking up older devices like VCRs. They usually have composite and RF (NTSC) outputs. See Pace DC50X for example:
»www.pace.com/universal/s ··· e-dc50x/
For $1 / month rental I don't see an alternative - TWC isn't into loss leaders.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin

Premium Member

"leads me to believe that TWC is buying mostly HD STBs (surprisingly smart for them)."

I am not sure you can even buy SD boxes anymore.

Hob
mike_f
join:2007-01-10
Hawthorne, CA

1 edit

mike_f

said by hobgoblin:

I am not sure you can even buy SD boxes anymore.
Hob

Well, Comcast still is and they are renting these Motorola POS for basic digital service:
»www.motorola.com/Video-S ··· esources
One minor point in TWC's favor.
dishrich
join:2006-05-12
Springfield, IL

4 edits

dishrich to mike_f

to mike_f
said by mike_f:

Well, Comcast still is and they are renting these Motorola POS for basic digital service:
»www.motorola.com/Video-S ··· esources

While CC is very much continuing to rent those they have existing in inventory, they are NOT actively buying new inventory of these as of now - which is exactly (probably) what TWC is doing. By virtue of this, they will continue to recycle these same (SD) boxes thru their sub base; they are NOT going to throw all those boxes away. For SD only subs, there is no reason why they can't continue to use those; there will ALWAYS be lots of subs that will NEVER get/need HD boxes. (this applies to ANY cable provider)

IOW, any new (non-DVR) full boxes they purchase now, are all HD capable. They DO, in fact, hand new HD boxes out to non-HD subs, but all the HD channels are disabled for non-HD subs. It all comes down as to what/how much stock they have at the time a sub walks in &/or a tech has on his truck. (unless you ARE an HD sub & specifically ask for an HD box)

(BTW, not sure why you think that DCH70 is a "POS" box - I had one here myself, before I upgraded service. While it does not have an S-video output &/or digital audio outs, it at least DOES have composite A/V outputs. And it SURE as hell beats relics like the DCT2xxx series boxes, that are dog SLOW - & that CC here CONTINUES to give out here sometimes, if you are (un)lucky enough! )

It wouldn't surprise me if TWC started buying simpler Digital Terminal Adapter (DTA) type devices for hooking up older devices like VCRs.

Well yea, they already announced this a year ago:

»stopthecap.com/2011/07/2 ··· systems/

They usually have composite and RF (NTSC) outputs. See Pace DC50X for example:
»www.pace.com/universal/s ··· e-dc50x/

Sorry to tell you, but most DTA's - including your example - do NOT have any composite outputs; it's RF out only.
The ONLY DTA I've seen so far that does, is one made by Evolution Digital; Massillon & Clear Picture Cable use these:

»www.massilloncabletv.com ··· ions.pdf

I don't even think Evolution makes that model any longer, as it doesn't seem to be on their website now:

»www.evolutionbb.com/cabl ··· 402.html

The HD-DTA's that are just now starting to come out, do have both HDMI & RF outputs, but (still) NO composite outputs, either.

btB
@rr.com

btB

Anon

The Motorola DCT2524 works & is free of monthly fees until Nov 2013. So even though it may not be the latest and greatest, I can't complain too much. Only minor gripes are that there is no aspect ratio setting & no way to easily backtrack one step when navigating through the menu system.

I checked my statement today and sure enough the monthly charge for the SD box is $0.00. Thought it might be possible that there would be some unmentioned charge like for the remote, but there was none.
PowerMac
join:2011-03-02
Anaheim, CA

PowerMac

Is Motorola DCT2524 is similar to Motorola Tuning adapter? Both are the same design.

btB
@rr.com

btB

Anon

Motorola Tuning Adapter

Motorola DCT2524

Although these are not my actual devices, the pictures of the 2 do not look anything alike. As far as I know, there are no Motorola tuning adapters that look like the DCT2524.