huntermcdole
Premium
join:2005-08-01
Tucson, AZ
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·ViaTalk

Lost on issue with IIS7 not Passing Credentials

I am having an issue with a website asking for username and password, where I work is creating instructions to deploy a website that we created and when following the instructions we have this issue.

If we use an Application Pool called "ASP.NET 4.0" it works fine, but if we create a new Application Pool it no longer works. I took a screenshot of the settings in advanced settings and compared the two and nothing is different except the Application Pool Name.

The site is being hosted on a Windows 2008 R2 box running IIS 7, and it works fine under one Application Pool but not the other.

Anyone have an idea what could cause this?

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7
One pool is likely running under classic pipeline, the other under integrated pipeline.

huntermcdole
Premium
Tucson, AZ
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·ViaTalk
Click for full size
No they both show as integrated, here is a screenshot of the advanced settings for both of them

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
Fort Wayne, IN
reply to huntermcdole
Does the site work at all, as in load, but the authentication doesn't work? Or does the site not load at all? Any specific error messages? What type of authentication are you using (forms, basic, integrated)? Are the hostnames of the site(s) different or identical with the different pools? Are you impersonating the user?

huntermcdole
Premium
Tucson, AZ
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·ViaTalk
When under the ASP.NET 4.0 Application Pool the site works, under the AppPool Application Pool it doesn't. The site is using Windows Authentication (Negotiate/NTLM). Everything is the same with the site, all I am doing is swapping application pools under Advanced Settings /Application Pool.

Error I get when trying to go the page while under AppPool is
"401 - Unauthorized: Access is denied due to invalid credentials.
You do not have permission to view this directory or page using the credentials that you supplied."

The site won't load because it requires the user to be authenticated.

QuaffAPint
A Big Thanks To The Troops

join:2001-01-10
Downingtown, PA
Are both app pools running under the same account?

DJStarfox

join:2000-07-05
Orlando, FL
reply to huntermcdole
3 things to check:
.NET trust level (IIS)
Authentication (IIS)
NTFS permissions

huntermcdole
Premium
Tucson, AZ
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·ViaTalk
reply to QuaffAPint
@QuaffAPint Yes the ApplicationPoolIdentity.

@DJStarfox None of the permissions/ authentication / trust level changes as far as I know, the only thing I am changing is the Application Pool it's running under, and both use the same account for access "ApplicationPoolIdentity"

huntermcdole
Premium
Tucson, AZ
reply to huntermcdole
Ended up being a weird error, I had to restart IIS and it started to happen to the other Application Pool. I rebooted and then it was fixed... Thanks all for the help

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
Fort Wayne, IN
That is a strange error/solution. I've had issues where recycling the app pool(s) fixes weird things, but never having to reboot to solve it all.