how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Boka

join:2004-01-12
Ocean Springs, MS

Connection problems, time out, connection reset

I had a SB6120 get zapped about a month ago and picked up the SB6121 from walmart. Since then we have had a horrible internet experience. The speed is there but browsing web sites is hit and miss (mostly miss!).

This is true for all devices, MacBook, iPhone, Ubuntu, PS Vita etc...

Where do I start troubleshooting besides calling tech support?

Thanks

Pashune
Caps stifle innovation
Premium
join:2006-04-14
Gautier, MS
Reviews:
·Vonage
·CableOne
Check your modem stats: Go to »192.168.100.1/

Default username: admin
Default password: motorola

Look for stats such as SNR, upstream/downstream power, etc. and post them back here.

The lightning strike (assuming what you mean by zapped) could have damaged your splitter(s) and/or barrel connectors.
--
CableOne 10m/1m

Boka

Ocean Springs, MS
Click for full size
downloadcmSignal.pdf 41,823 bytes
Signal
Didn't need a username and password to get in.

My cable modem run is the only drop I have in the entire house. It goes from the pole straight to the modem, I have no other cable devices.

See attached for the info.

Pashune
Caps stifle innovation
Premium
Gautier, MS
Reviews:
·Vonage
·CableOne
Since you say browsing websites is hit or miss, I'm wondering if their DNS servers at fault.

Try temporarily changing your DNS servers to OpenDNS' servers.

Primary: 208.67.222.222

Secondary: 208.67.220.220

You can do this either on modem (or router if you use one) or your PC/user device. Are you behind a router at all or are you directly connected to the modem?
--
CableOne 10m/1m

Boka

Ocean Springs, MS
Thank you for helping out. I'm really frustrated at the level of service I'm getting. Did my numbers from the modem look acceptable?

I've had the same setup for over three years. Cable modem - WRT54G running DD-WRT - wireless clients.

I've tried using Google DNS and open DNS servers to attempt relief but there is no change.

This ALL started after my cable modem was replaced, could it be possible that this is caused by a new modem?

By hit and miss I mean I click a link, select a bookmark and it will not open. For example craigslist, reddit, engadget all fail to load on multiple platforms (Mac OSX, Ubuntu, iOS) and different browsers. I can put a ping on reddit.com and it resolved but it will not open in any browser. I have to try again and again for it to open. Sometimes it works quickly sometimes it takes minutes of trying. Even then most links from any of those sites refuse to load. More miss than hit to be sure.

I even put my MacBook right behind the modem, bypassing the router and there was no change. I really want my old modem back!

Pashune
Caps stifle innovation
Premium
Gautier, MS
Reviews:
·Vonage
·CableOne
said by Boka:

Thank you for helping out. I'm really frustrated at the level of service I'm getting. Did my numbers from the modem look acceptable?

Your numbers looked fine to me. Everything is just about 100% optimal according to those stats, although a bad modem could certainly be possible. Have you tried using a different ethernet cable?

The upstream is a bit on the low side but that can just indicate that you're really close to the nearest amp, but if it's low enough it can actually let in unwanted noise, causing errors, packet loss, etc.

Something else I would check on is to see if anyone else in your neighborhood is having connection issues.
--
CableOne 10m/1m

Boka

Ocean Springs, MS
downloadreddit.pcap.zip 38,673 bytes
CAPTURE
Changed the ethernet cable without any change. I took a capture during a bookmark click. You can see it resolves but the page does not load, just spins saying "connecting".

I'm going to try exchanging the modem and getting anew one from Wal-Mart.