uniqs

pike
Premium Member
join:2001-02-01
Washington, DC

pike to RokHed

Premium Member

to RokHed

Re: Required to call Comcast when buying own modem?

said by RokHed:

Did I miss where ya called them to register the new modem? If not. just call and be done with it. You coulda been online 3 days ago. Or at least know if the modem (s) are bad.

Sigh.

This is why I didn't want to call. I knew I would be dealing with nothing but incompetence and ineptitude.

At about 5:45pm today, I finally gave in and called after exhausting every other option.

This first call was disconnected before I had even finished giving the tech the CMAC id.

The second call, the tech insisted there was a problem with my inside wiring (despite the old modem working perfectly and the new modem displaying very good signal levels). Most of the call was a sales pitch for Comcast's "Service Protection Plan" would wound ensure that when the tech comes out to repair my apparently faulty inside wiring, I wouldn't be charged for this wonderful service. Funny thing is I don't really have any inside wiring. I live in a condo with three other units. The drop from the pole is attached to the exterior wall of my unit, and from the tap goes about 6" to a hole in my wall where the cable modem is plugged directly in with no splitters or additional wiring.

So next call, the tech says they need my serial number in addition to my CMAC id and I'll be up and running in no time. After supplying this information, and predictably still no connection, I'm told the issue will need to be escalated and am provided a ticket number with assurance that I will receive a call back in 15-20 minutes.

Fast forward an hour, still no call back. I call and reference the ticket number, and am advised they will need at least 24 more hours to resolve the issue.

So now here I am with no internet service, and three cable modems that don't work. Thanks Comcast.

In the mean time I've been able to learn some of the workings of cable modem CPE and plant technology. Using the event logs and status pages available on my modem, I believe I've isolated the problem to something in Comcast's equipment. The head end seems to not want to issue my modem a DHCP address. Sync is good with solid upstream and downstream power levels and SNR. Hopefully someone at Comcast will figure this out soon. I've wasted enough of my day on this bullshit.

netcool
Premium Member
join:2008-11-05
Englewood, CO

netcool

Premium Member

What is the exact model # of your WBM760? Is it a WBM760A or WBM760B?

Also I'm not sure if you've tried posting in the direct forum here but SteveTeow See Profile has a great reputation for getting things done:

»Comcast Direct

pike
Premium Member
join:2001-02-01
Washington, DC

pike

Premium Member

said by netcool:

What is the exact model # of your WBM760?

Also I'm not sure if you've tried posting in the direct forum

WBM760A. I haven't tried the direct forum yet, figured that was a last resort and I'd at least give the "official" channels a chance first.