uniqs
share rss forum feed

ohmer

join:2003-08-06
Quebec, QC
kudos:1
reply to HackedWEP

Re: [Eng] Router was WEP cracked. $600 in overages. What can we

C'est peut être pas la faute de Vidéotron, mais common, ça n'a pas coûté 600$ fournir le service. Ils pourraient être accommodant pour une première "offense". Ça leur coûterait rien et pourrait probablement éviter de perdre le client frustré qui va partir vers la concurence.

GuiGQc

join:2012-02-22
Gatineau, QC
said by ohmer:

C'est peut être pas la faute de Vidéotron, mais common, ça n'a pas coûté 600$ fournir le service. Ils pourraient être accommodant pour une première "offense". Ça leur coûterait rien et pourrait probablement éviter de perdre le client frustré qui va partir vers la concurence.

Ouais exactement pourquoi j'avais suggérer d'appeler pour faire couper ça de moitié

JEDI

join:2005-04-11
Longueuil
kudos:1
reply to ohmer
said by ohmer:

C'est sûr mais si Vidéotron chargeait ce que ça leur coûtait pour fournir leur service, les prix seraient infiniment plus bas.

Il ne faut pas se le cacher, les prix de Vidéotron pour internet sont hyper overpriced. En prennant ce service de Vidéotron, tout le monde sait qu'ils se feront toujours avoir du côté du prix, le dépassement de la limite mensuelle n'y échappant pas.

Mais tu as effectivement raison, ils risquent de perdre un client pour une niaiserie de quelques dollars. Je peux te confirmer que ça leur arrive, ils vont perdre mes parents qui ont les 3 services avec eux pour une question d'une trentaine de dollars. J'ai parlé à la rétention par principe et non, c'était carrément impossible même si ça vaut juste 30$ de se faire remplacer un terminal SD parce que Vidéotron ont fait des changements sur leur réseau causant des problèmes de compatibilité avec les très vieux illico. Bell offre le terminal HD gratis, la rétention de Vidéotron ne veut même pas remplacer un terminal SD qu'ils ont eux-mêmes rendu problématique... bye bye Vidéotron, Fibe télé vient d'être disponible chez mes parents!

GuiGQc

Gatineau, QC
said by JEDI:

said by ohmer:

Ils pourraient être accommodant pour une première "offense".

C'est sûr mais si Vidéotron chargeait ce que ça leur coûtait pour fournir leur service, les prix seraient infiniment plus bas.

Pas toujours, mais pour une première offence, je suis d'Accord avec ohmer de couper ça de moitié.

GRT

join:2007-10-14
canada
reply to ohmer
I fully sympathize with what you are going through and how you feel, however, you don't have much of a case here here's why:

* The user is solely responsible for securing his/her system and any use of the provided services. You have to prove that you took necessary measures to secure your connection, in this case there is clear negligence as the security was downgraded. Even if you argue the reasons, it was your responsibility to frequently check the router's status to detect any intrusion or illegal use of your connection and put a stop to it.

* When you singed up you agreed to the terms of service. The rates ARE indeed excessive and people have been fighting ISPs for so long regarding said policies, but nothing ever stopped them. You were aware of the overage rates and agreed to them and you were aware of your responsibility regarding the use of your connection.

So it all comes down to good faith now from the ISP. One major factor against you is the downgrading your router's security. Not knowing how to properly secure or set up a router or claiming convenience / speed will not hold argument in a court.

There are many ways you COULD have prevented this, so many, including properly securing your router, checking your bandwidth for unusual activity, checking your router's network page to detect any illegal connections and use, etc....... All this arguments will be used by defendants and against you.

When I'm not at home or not using my computer for an extended period I TURN OFF Wi-Fi mode in my router, shut down the function with one click, frequently check the status page and bandwidth for any unusual traffic, select a strong password, which means avoid using words, use letters / numbers, strong password and your router's strongest security settings offered, and I set my router's broadcasting to INVISIBLE, so in short, I am making it very hard to be hacked or detected. The law does NOT cover "I didn't know that".
In fact there is a saying that goes "Law does not protect ignorance" in other words you cannot use the argument that you did not know about it, it won't hold.

Sorry but I think it all comes down to good faith now from Videotron, you don't have much of a case at all considering the tweaking of your router's security which is a big argument against you.

GuiGQc

Gatineau, QC
J'pense qu'on peut tous s'entendre sur le fait que ce n'est pas de la faute de vidéotron, mais bien du client.

Mais ça ne change en rien au fait qu'il peut s'essayer.

Dampier
Phillip M Dampier

join:2003-03-23
Rochester, NY
Videotron's overlimit fees are ludicrously excessive, so I am not buying the reasoning that the customer should be on the hook for illegitimate usage.

The average customer has no idea what web security standards are the most robust and which are insecure, so holding a customer to account for that is not going to go far with me either.

This is why Internet Overcharging schemes are so unconscionable.

Start with a BBB complaint, which should get you hooked into Videotron's executive customer service department. I'd also talk to the local media, who love outrageous overbilling.

BBB: »www.bbb.org/ottawa/business-revi···qc-17699

--
Phillip M. Dampier
Editor, Stop the Cap!
»stopthecap.com

swintec
Premium,VIP
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS
said by Dampier:

The average customer has no idea what web security standards are the most robust and which are insecure

They certainly will be as this becomes more common.

Also, how does the OP know a bunch of torrenting was done, after the fact?
--
Usenet Block Accounts | Unlimited Accounts