All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Borad
join:2012-06-08

Borad

[iO] Radio frequency remote with cable box

Is it possible to use an RF remote for cable TV? I currently have Cablevision's cable box with a card in it. Would I need to buy a cable ready receiver with RF support? Any recommendations?

I want to use two TVs in different rooms with one cable box so I need the range and non-line-of-sight ability. I know that two different shows can't be watched in two different rooms by that method (but I wonder if picture-in-picture could accomplish that if only one set supports it). I'm OK with that for now.

MxxCon
join:1999-11-19
Brooklyn, NY

MxxCon

CV's cableboxes are only IR. If you want RF you'd need IR to RF conversion setup.
However, if you have an iOS device, CV has a software that allows you to control your box over wifi.

remoteextend
@optonline.net

remoteextend to Borad

Anon

to Borad
Look up remote control extenders. They are pretty inexpensive and will do exactly what you want to do.

RickNY
Premium Member
join:2000-11-02
Bellport, NY

RickNY to Borad

Premium Member

to Borad
»www.amazon.com/Next-Gene ··· 46345485

That will do exactly what you want, and do it well. It swaps one of the batteries in your remote for a combination battery/RF transmitter in the room that you don't have the box in. It does not require anything in the remote room that you have to point to - rather the RF transmitter in the battery does all the work.

It will work with remotes that use either AA or AAA batteries only.

I've used it with both the CV boxes and my Tivo, and it works amazingly well.

fcisler
Premium Member
join:2004-06-14
Riverhead, NY

fcisler to Borad

Premium Member

to Borad
I can also recommend this make/model for wired:

»www.amazon.com/C2G-Acous ··· -3-fkmr1

I use this with several receivers/blinkers and they work awesome
Borad

Borad to MxxCon

to MxxCon
One of those should work but I may end up needing a 100 foot RCA cable depending on which I choose. I have to run the coax the same way so it's not a problem.
said by Administrator :

[Sig removed by Administrator: signature can not exceed 20GB]

I'd like to see that signature. Or maybe a thumbnail of it.
Borad

Borad

This Wireless Cable TV Sender looks even better because I could watch different channels without another cable box. Some reviewers said the picture is snowy when watching two different channels so maybe I'll look for another brand if there is one. It's more expensive than the above recommendations but it's worth it because laying a cable from the cable box to the second TV would be hard and it's not necessary with this device. Still thinking about it though.

fcisler
Premium Member
join:2004-06-14
Riverhead, NY

fcisler

Premium Member

said by Borad:

This Wireless Cable TV Sender looks even better because I could watch different channels without another cable box. Some reviewers said the picture is snowy when watching two different channels so maybe I'll look for another brand if there is one. It's more expensive than the above recommendations but it's worth it because laying a cable from the cable box to the second TV would be hard and it's not necessary with this device. Still thinking about it though.

I believe you are confused. This unit will send the RF signal wireless - IE: The COAX. In other words - same as running a coax cable to the other room. You may still need a cable box.

If your fine with the same thing on two TV's, pickup the wires blaster I sent, head over to monoprice and pickup a long HDMI and HDMI splitter. You would most likely be looking at sub $100 (maybe $150 tops) in parts and have HD in both rooms.
TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
MVM
join:2002-07-04
East Stroudsburg, PA

TheWiseGuy

MVM

It appears to have a tuner in the transmitter but I do not know if it will do QAM or only ATSC and NTSC. In any case it would only do clear QAM which limits it to broadcast basic. Also since it appears the FCC may be moving to allow encryption of all services even basic it may only help short term. Lastly for that price I suspect building a HTPC system becomes an alternative, while more expensive offering a lot more flexibility.
said by specs :

Transmitter with built-in tuner allows various channels to be viewed in a remote location. Simultaneous viewing of video programs on a second TV without wires.

Support both NTSC and ATSC TV signal.

Borad

Borad

OK, I'll go with one of the remote extenders. Now I have to find a transition strip for carpet-to-tile that will hold a coaxial and RCA cable.
Borad

1 edit

Borad to TheWiseGuy

to TheWiseGuy
said by TheWiseGuy:

In any case it would only do clear QAM which limits it to broadcast basic.

I think you're assuming it's hooked up to the scrambled line. I was able to see the same movie from a scrambled channel on two TVs with one cable box by splitting the cable that goes from the cable box into my TV. If I had "DVR for iO" maybe I could get a second unscrambled signal from the DVR, and maybe the "wireless TV sender" could too.

This is what's making the cable laying so difficult for me - I already planned how to lay the cables that carry the scrambled signal but laying out another cable for an unscrambled signal, from the cable box, is more difficult. I have a plan now and just by luck it doesn't interfere with what I already did, but it's not as neat as I'd like it so I'm still working on the alternative that requires a cleaning fluid proof transition strip between the kitchen and the dining area that will hold two cables.
TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
MVM
join:2002-07-04
East Stroudsburg, PA

TheWiseGuy

MVM

Sorry if I was not completely clear. I meant the tuner part, ie it appears to have a tuner but whether you will be able to watch a different channel on the second TV with this device depends on whether the tuner can tune a channel in QAM modulation since the documentation says ATSC NTSC. Even if it can tune QAM it would only be able to send a channel that was in clear QAM. (unscrambled)

You definitely can send the output from the cable box via the device.
Borad

2 edits

Borad

I decided against all of the above for now. The wireless extenders don't work well for some people and I wouldn't be able to put a wireless emitter directly in front of the cable box. The corded emitters are intended for inside a cabinet where the little stick-on emitters could bounce off walls to reach the eye of the cable box, and my cable box isn't in a cabinet. If the cable box had an IR in port (I think the port is IR out) or some kind of port for directly connecting to the IR receiver, I'd try it.

I'd also be losing decibles by extending the stereo cable from the receiver to the repeater like I planned. Everything would be working against me.

losingdb
@optonline.net

losingdb

Anon

Uh, how far were you planning on running that speaker? You would probably never be able to tell the difference in a normal sized house.
Borad

Borad

The stereo cable is part of the remote control extender I was thinking of getting (the plugs it uses look like stereo plugs). I'd try to replace it with a 75 foot CAT 5 or 6 cable. If I can't replace it, I'd have to extend it, and that means more connections. I don't know how well IR signals travel through CAT 5 cable, but I'm not optimistic about more than doubling the length.