spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Ann222

@107.30.54.x

[XPHome] WINDOWS XP-system-start driver(s) failed to sfsync02

AVG free edition flagged sfsync02 as rootkit and I deleted the file lol Now nothing is loading up at start up! It takes like 2 min for frogramms to load up! I see this error message in Event Viewer

The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
sfsync02

How do I restore this file? I do have an XP system recovery CD,but How do I just restore this one missing file without restoring the whole system and then having to redownload all the Microsoft Updated????? Yikes!

Kramer
Premium,Mod
join:2000-08-03
Richmond, VA
kudos:2

Re: [XPHome] WINDOWS XP-system-start driver(s) failed to sfsync0

Most likely that was a false positive detected by AVG. Sfsync02 is not a Windows file so recovering it from any Windows media is likely to be fruitless. Sfsync02 appears to be part of a copy protection scheme, just guessing from some game. Follow the last post in this »en.kioskea.net/forum/affich-6238···nc02-sys
thread for instructions on how to remove and then re-install the driver.

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Ann222

Alternatively, if you don't need it, remove it from the configuration.

From a command prompt in safe mode, if you can get there:

sc config sfsync02 start= disabled

If you can't get to safe mode, you'll have to boot the recovery console. If you didn't install the recovery console on disk (it's a separate bootable system) you'll need the CD.

I supoose the XP recovery console has a command equivalent to 'sc' but I don't recall and don't have XP handy to check.

---
Soapbox: an antivirus that deletes a driver file but leaves it as a required component of system startup is defective. It's not like it's difficult for the AV to discover that the system will fail to boot if you remove that driver file...

The Pig
I know you want to be me
Premium
join:2009-09-11
reply to Ann222

And after you get back up get rid of AVG and install Avast!
I had nothing but problems with AVG!
And if you do a search you will see many people have comew here complaining about AVG, true some did complain about Avast but not as many as AVG!

Ann222

@spcsdns.net
reply to dave

Otay will try a few tricks thanks!

happy4ya
Premium
join:2004-10-31
West Babylon, NY
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to The Pig

said by The Pig:

And after you get back up get rid of AVG and install Avast!
I had nothing but problems with AVG!
And if you do a search you will see many people have comew here complaining about AVG, true some did complain about Avast but not as many as AVG!

Switched from AVG to Avast about 4 years ago because out of nowhere AVG started picking up a lot of false positives and popping up "blocked this" and "blocked that" constantly. Took it out and loaded in Avast and it found things that AVG missed. It does detect a false positive once in a while but overall it works great and does not slow older systems down so I have been loading it into just about everyone's pc's I work on too since a lot of them are older machines. Definitely recommended.