Premium Member
join:2005-10-01
Madison, WI

Dolgan to r81984

Premium Member

to r81984

Re: [Rant] Sale tax on ebay

quote:
Yes the item is used, so the sales tax should have been paid originally when sold as new. It would not make sense to keep charging tax on the same item over and over again.
Would you have had to pay sales tax if you had purchased the camera at a Pawn Shop in Texas, or would it be tax free since it was used?

The reason sellers are/are going to be collecting sales tax on internet purchases is because the purchasers are not self reporting their taxes owed to the States as they are supposed to. I did enjoy the tax free purchases previously, also realized that it would not last forever as the States were losing out on Revenues. The other reason is to try and help traditional Brick and Mortar stores stay in business which also has the side effect of keeping more people employed at the local level.

If you want blind support of your opposition to the tax you should have posted in the Red Room where Grover Norquist's followers reside. *shrugs*

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium Member
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX

r81984

Premium Member

I never heard of anyone that supported online sales tax until I posted here. Its just very odd that people support it.

BTW, very few sites charge sales tax online.
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave

Premium Member

Who said I "supported" it?

Your problem is that you seemingly can't distinguish between an argument about how things actually are (it's a state use tax, not an 'online' anything) and your own self-interest (don't want to pay the tax).

My position is that:

1. No, I don't like paying taxes either

2. It is entirely consistently with existing tax regulations that state use tax be levied on online purchases

And the reason why very few sites charge TX sales tax online is that those sites do not have physical presence in TX.

Dolgan
Premium Member
join:2005-10-01
Madison, WI

Dolgan to r81984

Premium Member

to r81984
Didn't say I supported it, showed I understand why we will see it on all internet purchases in the near future. There is a difference between understanding why something is occurring and either supporting, or being against, an issue.