uniqs
share rss forum feed

MJB

join:2012-01-29

Canadian Colleges and Universities Limit Your Bandwidth

»www.lfpress.com/2012/08/28/campu···nd-flows

ChuckcZar

@teksavvy.com

Canada is already the laughing stock of the entire world when it comes to bandwidth. This will give the rest of the world more to laugh about.

TAKN

join:2003-09-21
Calgary, AB
reply to MJB

I have to give a positive review to UBC (which isn't mentioned in the article). When I used to live in residence there, every room was connected via a 100mbps port (with tons of capacity available).

You were allowed 7 GB of data every 24 hour period per MAC address. If you exceeded that, then you were speed limited until you dropped below 7 GB in that time period. In my opinion this was pretty fair.

Other important notes: Internal UBC traffic did not count, therefore as long as you used P2P within the network, then it didn't count towards the quota.

HoboJ

join:2008-03-27
Cornwall, ON
kudos:1
reply to MJB

I stopped reading when I read this...

Bandwidth is a measurement of the amount of data sent and received over a network.

Such ignorance shouldn't surprise me but I can't help myself. Bandwidth has nothing to do with ones usage outside of the absolute upper limit one can download over a period of time. I really wish people could understand this very simple concept.

freejazz_RdJ

join:2009-03-10
reply to MJB

This isn't surprising. Lots of institutions manage capacity in some way or another. I don't think a fixed 4 gig cap is a good idea, especially since it results in a 5 day timeout on the first offence without a warning. Do they even offer a meter? Should intra-campus or traffic from REN's be counted? I don't think it should, it's cheap and used for scholarly purposes.

But limiting stuff do a degree makes sense. In lecture halls and libraries, a couple institutions I know were at 100% utilization for wifi and that is with a very high density of 2.4/5.8 radios. You couldn't add more capacity. And a huge portion of it was consumed by streaming services or P2P. So they adopted a throttling solution.

Poser

join:2002-07-28
reply to MJB

Nipissing had no limits. Would download 4MB/s during regular class hours. Downloaded 9MB/s the last day of classes when everyone was packing up and ready to leave.

FiReSTaRT
Premium
join:2010-02-26
Canada
Reviews:
·Velcom

Educational institutions, ones that are meant to promote the exchange of information are acting like the Robellus Cartel. At least they have the muscle to buy everything at wholesale rates, so there's no excuse for them to be limiting usage that much. I'd take my tuition money elsewhere if I decided to go back to school.
--
If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas.
—George Bernard Shaw

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON
kudos:10
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..

1 recommendation

reply to HoboJ

said by HoboJ:

Bandwidth has nothing to do with ones usage outside of the absolute upper limit one can download over a period of time.

That's right.

Everyone knows it's gubflontahertz. Dammit.

Mike
--
Cogeco - The New UBB Devil -»[Burloak] Usage Based Billing Nightmare
Make The Switch - »openmedia.ca/switch

pnjunction
Teksavvy Extreme
Premium
join:2008-01-24
Toronto, ON
reply to MJB

I think it was 5GB a week or something like that when I was in residence.

That 4 GB a day at Western is dumb. Couldn't even spend a few hours doing something like netflix HD with that. 120GB a month would be much more reasonable as it would average out the heavy days with the lighter ones. Maybe the control freaks there don't want the 'rush' at the beginning or end of the month but such a low daily limit is dumb.

I think that is what it comes down to is control freaks with no real need to satisfy their 'customers'. I have known some personally (university network admins) who brag about how they rule their network with an iron fist and stomp out usage they don't like.

hitNrun

@videotron.ca
reply to MJB

I think they should raise tuition to cover usage costs. 500$/semester more per 500-meg. Besides, kids should only be using a uni computer for text only. Kinda like word processing in the cloud. What more do they need?

yyzlhr

@rogers.com
reply to MJB

There were caps when I went to U of T. They really did need it though, the WiFi in most buildings were struggling at the time, likely due to limited capacity. Had to use my mobile hotspot on my phone quite frequently just to get connected on campus.

XoX

join:2003-08-19
Qc, Canada
reply to pnjunction

said by pnjunction:

I think it was 5GB a week or something like that when I was in residence.

That 4 GB a day at Western is dumb. Couldn't even spend a few hours doing something like netflix HD with that. 120GB a month would be much more reasonable as it would average out the heavy days with the lighter ones. Maybe the control freaks there don't want the 'rush' at the beginning or end of the month but such a low daily limit is dumb.

I think that is what it comes down to is control freaks with no real need to satisfy their 'customers'. I have known some personally (university network admins) who brag about how they rule their network with an iron fist and stomp out usage they don't like.

4 GB a day = 120 GB a month (30days)....

pnjunction
Teksavvy Extreme
Premium
Toronto, ON

said by XoX:

Umm..you missed my point. 4GB a day is very restrictive to usage patterns compared to 120GB/month...

XoX

Qc, Canada

said by pnjunction:

said by XoX:

Umm..you missed my point. 4GB a day is very restrictive to usage patterns compared to 120GB/month...

Maybe but they are there to learn not download the whole fucking internet with my tax dollar... If they want to do that than they can pay it with their money...

XoX

Qc, Canada
reply to FiReSTaRT

said by FiReSTaRT:

Educational institutions, ones that are meant to promote the exchange of information are acting like the Robellus Cartel. At least they have the muscle to buy everything at wholesale rates, so there's no excuse for them to be limiting usage that much. I'd take my tuition money elsewhere if I decided to go back to school.

We are talking about a learning center not a download center... They can pay with their own money if want to download the Internet...

pnjunction
Teksavvy Extreme
Premium
Toronto, ON
reply to XoX

said by XoX:

Maybe but they are there to learn not download the whole fucking internet with my tax dollar... If they want to do that than they can pay it with their money...

Oh so you're like that.

Folks in residence pay quite a bit and should have decent access there. Caps on wifi for students milling around, fine, especially considering the wifi is more vulnerable to congestion.

120 GB is far from the whole internet and students have plenty of time for using the internet and still keep up with studies.

The Limit
Premium
join:2007-09-25
Greensboro, NC
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Windstream
reply to XoX

Easier said then done, especially when SOME of us work harder than those who have real jobs, because our education matters to us.

Take it from someone who literally spends 12+ hours a day at the college attending classes, doing homework or projects, taking notes, preparing for exams. Spending that much time in college really doesn't give one much time outside of college to work.

I'm not saying that I feel entitled, but dang, be a little understanding.
--
"We will evaluate these integrals rigorously if we can, and non-rigorously if we must".
---Victor Moll, invited talk, Tom Osler Fest (April 17, 2010)

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-21
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to TAKN

said by TAKN:

I have to give a positive review to UBC (which isn't mentioned in the article). When I used to live in residence there, every room was connected via a 100mbps port (with tons of capacity available).

You were allowed 7 GB of data every 24 hour period per MAC address. If you exceeded that, then you were speed limited until you dropped below 7 GB in that time period. In my opinion this was pretty fair.

Other important notes: Internal UBC traffic did not count, therefore as long as you used P2P within the network, then it didn't count towards the quota.

It's very easy to mask you MAC address and change it as needed

So unless you need to register each address your good

pnjunction
Teksavvy Extreme
Premium
Toronto, ON

said by Anonymous_:

People did that in my residence thinking they were smart. Unfortunately traffic could also be tracked to the port. A few MAC addresses later they found themselves with an inactive ethernet port in their room for a semester.

FiReSTaRT
Premium
Canada
Reviews:
·Velcom
reply to XoX

said by XoX:

We are talking about a learning center not a download center... They can pay with their own money if want to download the Internet...

If they have the option.. This is actually very discriminatory of on-campus students who don't have any other Internet options. The off-campus student can use his home connection for entertainment purposes, while the on-campus student doesn't have that alternative. Goes over the cap and can't use his connection for his homework. Many campuses don't allow installing your own and why would they if they're already paying more for their access than I am for 3.5x as much usage?
--
If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas.
—George Bernard Shaw

FiReSTaRT
Premium
Canada
Reviews:
·Velcom
reply to pnjunction

said by pnjunction:

said by Anonymous_:

People did that in my residence thinking they were smart. Unfortunately traffic could also be tracked to the port. A few MAC addresses later they found themselves with an inactive ethernet port in their room for a semester.

Unlesss it's wireless
--
—George Bernard Shaw

pnjunction
Teksavvy Extreme
Premium
Toronto, ON

said by FiReSTaRT:

Unlesss it's wireless

Wireless around campus had a login using your student ID, I imagine it does on most networks with anal admins that are at all competent.

corster
Premium
join:2002-02-23
Gatineau, QC
reply to MJB

When I was at the University of Ottawa, they had two wifi networks - the WPA network and the legacy Cisco-VPN network.

Most people used the WPA, but the Legacy network didn't have any restrictions

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-21
reply to pnjunction

you can always change the port for it each time

pnjunction
Teksavvy Extreme
Premium
Toronto, ON

By port I mean the physical port in the room

HoboJ

join:2008-03-27
Cornwall, ON
reply to MJB

Hearing all about other colleges makes me glad to be at mine. It's all open wifi and all of the many unused Ethernet ports you find around are free game too. I guess it's an advantage of being a small college with only a few thousand students

FiReSTaRT
Premium
Canada
Reviews:
·Velcom
reply to pnjunction

said by pnjunction:

said by FiReSTaRT:

Unlesss it's wireless

Wireless around campus had a login using your student ID, I imagine it does on most networks with anal admins that are at all competent.

Only the first time around.. That means you can scan and spoof a MAC that's already on the network. I didn't need to indulge in that as my course load was keeping me too busy for much (if any) entertainment.
--
—George Bernard Shaw

SkySpy247

join:2009-04-03
Toronto, ON
reply to yyzlhr

Not a volume problem ... an infrastructure problem !!!

chgo_man99

join:2010-01-01
San Jose, CA
reply to MJB

In America, the only limit you have is no illegal torrent downloading in p2p networks.

But whats even more disturbing about Canada are domestic long distance/roaming with big incumbents. So once college students graduate and come back home they have to change phone numbers? I moved 3 times in my last 2 years and did not have to change phone number or make any modifications to my call plans at all. And I moved once out of state.

pnjunction
Teksavvy Extreme
Premium
Toronto, ON
reply to FiReSTaRT

said by FiReSTaRT:

said by pnjunction:

said by FiReSTaRT:

Unlesss it's wireless

Only the first time around.. That means you can scan and spoof a MAC that's already on the network. I didn't need to indulge in that as my course load was keeping me too busy for much (if any) entertainment.

And use someone else's quota? Douche move.