Premium Member
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON

TwiztedZero to XoX

Premium Member

to XoX

Re: Canadian Colleges and Universities Limit Your Bandwidth

said by XoX:

Maybe but they are there to learn not download the whole fucking internet with my tax dollar... If they want to do that than they can pay it with their money...

All Canadians pay some form of "tax dollar" bub, everytime you purchase something. Get off your high horse.

XoX
join:2003-08-19
Qc, Canada

1 edit

XoX

said by TwiztedZero:

said by XoX:

Maybe but they are there to learn not download the whole fucking internet with my tax dollar... If they want to do that than they can pay it with their money...

All Canadians pay some form of "tax dollar" bub, everytime you purchase something. Get off your high horse.

i did not say that i do not want to pay any tax or if i pay some tax, i do not want my tax allocated to education. That is not what i was saying. You are not even close... Talk about jumping to some far fetched conclusion... I was saying that if the student want an unlimited connection they can pay it with their money.

The primary function of the school provided connection should be for school related matter but it does not mean limited to only that. Just that if say 4 Go by day is not enough for some student because they want to stream the latest movie the student should pay for it. That way student can still have a descend free connection and the other can pay it with their money... Not that hard since everyone is claiming that it cost nothing...
the cerberus
join:2007-10-16
Richmond Hill, ON

3 edits

the cerberus to MJB33

to MJB33
Its amazing how they act as if all universities and colleges in Canada are doing this and go on to name 3 that are, and then 3 that arent.

I know that the other university in Waterloo, Wilfrid Laurier does not have caps.

In fact I can name more universities that DONT have a cap then the ones that do.
You know what? Universities have student unions. If you dont like having a cap, take it up with them.
Universities that have caps are the ones who lets their student unions go on auto-pilot, and its their own fault. the best part of university are the eager minded individuals ready to make a difference.

In fact, getting something changed in student politics is arguably easier than any consumer fighting the CRTC on anything.
Cloneman
join:2002-08-29
Montreal

Cloneman

wow I'd be seriously pissed if they did that at my university.

Their "IT Fees" range around 90$ per semester. That comes close to 20$/month if you exclude summer months. Their network is in downtown core and seems to be well back hauled, I can max out a gigabit ethernet link.

breaking it down on a daily basis is beyond stupid.

creed3020
Premium Member
join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON

creed3020 to MJB33

Premium Member

to MJB33
I can definitely remember my time at Waterloo watching the meter because getting put into the slow lane sucked. Thankfully I was only in residence the first two years and went off campus after that.
kabes
join:2010-05-14
Kitchener, ON

kabes to MJB33

to MJB33
This isn't terribly new. When I was going to college in 2001 and living in residence they would send our warning messages for using too much bandwidth or even throttle you. There wasn't an official cap, it was basically up to the network admins. Capacity was a lot more limited 11 years ago so it's not like you were downloading fast anyway. Within a couple weeks I got sick the poor speeds and dictator-like admins and just got cable internet in my dorm room (even rogers was still unlimited back then!), but I still used the school network to play games over the LAN in residence which was fun.

neochu
join:2008-12-12
Windsor, ON

neochu to pnjunction

to pnjunction
said by pnjunction:

said by Anonymous_:

It's very easy to mask you MAC address and change it as needed

So unless you need to register each address your good

People did that in my residence thinking they were smart. Unfortunately traffic could also be tracked to the port. A few MAC addresses later they found themselves with an inactive ethernet port in their room for a semester.

That would be sufficient enough grounds to withdraw from the university, my question would be why didn't they given it was an essential function to perform course work correctly.

Nowadays most University IT departments would be looking at expulsion under Senate by-laws for equipment tampering because of that.
said by pnjunction:

That 4 GB a day at Western is dumb. Couldn't even spend a few hours doing something like netflix HD with that. 120GB a month would be much more reasonable as it would average out the heavy days with the lighter ones. Maybe the control freaks there don't want the 'rush' at the beginning or end of the month but such a low daily limit is dumb.

I think that is what it comes down to is control freaks with no real need to satisfy their 'customers'. I have known some personally (university network admins) who brag about how they rule their network with an iron fist and stomp out usage they don't like.

a couple of sends/recives of very large Capstone Design Plans (master autocad files for the whole project) would eat that 4GB quota up in a day (1.2/1.3 gigs each). I know I was using about 25% of that quota a day in 2003 due to Power Point based lecture notes at Windsor.

(thankfully I lived off campus and they sub-contrated out to Cogeco so it was more "reasonable")

My sister in York wound up with 10 GB MONTH in data in res. They didn't care wither it was internal or external data either.

They required NAS on all student CPE that took admin access out of students hands too.

I would hate to see with these insane limits what would happen when offsite multimedia based lectures become the norm on campus and they stop producing paper based assignments and textbooks...

Ive seen faculty vs IT political football matches in the past too...

Their not fun.