share rss forum feed

neonhomer
KK4BFN
Premium
join:2004-01-27
Edgewater, FL
reply to Gordo74

Re: Refit time for son's PC...

Hmmm... I think he has one of the "Dirt" games for xBox... and he seems to like it... Might be a interesting prospect...

BTW - he is currently running XP Pro. I will probably move his system as well to Windows 7 (probably Home Premium).

I've seen a lot of ASRock boards, but I've never heard of them...
--
"F is for Fire that burns down the whole town...
U is for Uranium...... Bombs...
N is for NO SURVIVORS!!!!!" Sheldon Plankton

Gordo74
Premium
join:2003-10-28
Monroeville, PA

said by neonhomer:

Hmmm... I think he has one of the "Dirt" games for xBox... and he seems to like it... Might be a interesting prospect...

BTW - he is currently running XP Pro. I will probably move his system as well to Windows 7 (probably Home Premium).

Yes, Windows 7 would definitely be the right way to go with this newer hardware. Anything less and you'll be seriously gimping the hardware with the base level OS.

ASRock was formed as an off shoot of Asus engineers. They were a budget brand up until about a year ago when they decided to compete with the big players (Gigabyte/Asus) and since then have made very very good products (IMO) for much cheaper than the big guys.

neonhomer
KK4BFN
Premium
join:2004-01-27
Edgewater, FL

One thing I was pondering was the difference in performance between the i3-2100 that I have, and the i7-2600K that I have in my system.

My thought was build my son's system with the i3, and then when I get the money to buy a new i7 3rd gen, put my current i7 in his system.

Gordo74
Premium
join:2003-10-28
Monroeville, PA

said by neonhomer:

One thing I was pondering was the difference in performance between the i3-2100 that I have, and the i7-2600K that I have in my system.

My thought was build my son's system with the i3, and then when I get the money to buy a new i7 3rd gen, put my current i7 in his system.

You will see virtually zero performance difference between a 2600k and a 3770k. Plus, the 2100 is plenty for gaming on a single monitor.

thekAk

join:2010-01-08
USA
reply to neonhomer

said by neonhomer:

I had the same thought when I built a server recently... but went with the ASRock board anyway. The thing seems to be rock solid so far... no complaints here.

I AM
Premium
join:2010-04-11
Ephrata, PA
kudos:4

I've had zero issues with my Asrock Motherboard.

McBrain
BRB Face Melting

join:2010-05-06
Kalimdor
kudos:2

said by I AM:

I've had zero issues with my Asrock Motherboard.

Same here. I've only had mine about a week now, but I can't find anything to complain about.
--
McBrain#1558 - DSLR resident face melter.

“Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”