Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
reply to Mashiki

Re: If Diablo 3 Was On Sale...

I never played the first two, but i was not impressed.

Koil
Premium
join:2002-09-10
Irmo, SC
kudos:2
reply to Mashiki
said by Mashiki:

said by Nesse:

Im thinking they grew up and got better taste in games?

Add another for $9.99. The first run was fun, after that each run through just got more and more annoying.

So...wait...

People cried, complained and whined that they wanted D3 to have the same repetitiveness as D1/2, but didn't want to lug around health pots, and tomes for identifying and porting back and all that jazz, so they did it. But now people are whining, crying and complaining because they're doing the same thing that they did in the first two games? Okay there...my only real complaint is the lack of random map generation outside of dungeons, that in itself gets kinda boring.

I don't think it's they got a better taste in games, it's that they got used to ezmoding.

The AH is what killed it. D2 was about getting gear and having to do runs to do so, MF helping you get it, and satisfaction once you got that badass item.

D3 loot drops are shit. I did 2.5 - 2.75 runs through A3 and .75 through A4 with 5 stacks, and a random group. I got 1 item I would consider an upgrade, and a ton of items that had all the right stats, but too low or missing something key to be worth the hassle of putting on the AH. I would imagine my repair bill to be upwards of 700k, if I had to guess, and that's probably a conservative estimate. Did I make some of that back in loot / vendor..sure, but that much time invested (that's well over 13 hours probably) and that's all I walk away with?? That blows hairy goat nuts.

So, what do players do then?? They go to the AH...now, for a price, you too can play EZmode w/ no grind. The time investment and payoff are what made Diablo what it is, and the AH killed it. My above example of the horrendous time investment vs. payoff wouldn't be so bad if the AH wasn't there, and everyone had to go through that torture...it would raise all boats and awesome gear would mean something. Now, it's all out there for the highest bidder and the bots can either crank out gold or bids to make sure the prices stay inflated. It's all fugged up.

The only way to fix it is to get rid of the AH, or introduce weapon degrade, or BOP or something....there is way too much shit out there now, the economy is crazy and people are tired of running the same 4 acts over and over....throw in the cheesy dialogue and it just gets downright painful.
--
I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do.- Edward Everett Hale

My Blog - Raising Connor

Zupe
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-29
New York, NY
I'm still playing for now, though I seem to spend less game time each day actually playing, and more in the AH.

I agree that the Auction House is the problem. While I generally like having access to an AH in games, in this specific type of game, where pretty much the only reward is finding gear upgrades, it just doesn't work well. When everyone is buying good gear from the auction house (and in order to go beyond Act I Inferno, this is pretty much a requirement), it means that, rather than finding an upgrade every few runs, you'll be finding gear well below what you already have almost every time. If you actually find an upgrade once in a month from adventuring, you either haven't been using the AH effectively or you got a very lucky drop.

Add in the fact that, while they continue to increase the drop rate of rares, they've done nothing about the quality and, due to everyone having pretty good gear already from the AH, 99.9% of what you find is just vendor trash. It feels like a lot of the game is porting to a vendor to sell over and over again, with very little excitement about what you actually found. They did make Legendaries more desirable with the last patch but, given how rare they are (or how bad my luck is), having found one legendary (a worthless level 18 monk helm) in nearly 4k elite kills, this doesn't really help my excitement level or desire to keep playing.
--
Brain: Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?
Pinky: I think so, Brain, but "Snowball for Windows"?

wapu
Broadband Ranger
Premium
join:2001-09-05
Boca Raton, FL
said by Zupe:

When everyone is buying good gear from the auction house (and in order to go beyond Act I Inferno, this is pretty much a requirement), it means that, rather than finding an upgrade every few runs, you'll be finding gear well below what you already have almost every time. If you actually find an upgrade once in a month from adventuring, you either haven't been using the AH effectively or you got a very lucky drop.

Where does the loot come from that is on the Auction House? Did they find it?
--
--

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5
reply to Ghastlyone
Makes you wonder if Blizzard themselves are throwing high end, unattainable gear on the AH in hopes people purchase gold.

Zupe
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-29
New York, NY
reply to wapu

said by wapu See Profile
Where does the loot come from that is on the Auction House? Did they find it?

Presumably, somebody somewhere found it. The problem is that typically in these type of games, you can gear yourself through drops and reasonably expect to progress and find better gear. Without the input through the AH of the thousands/millions of people playing D3, it would be almost impossible to gear yourself well enough to progress into Inferno.
--
Brain: Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?
Pinky: I think so, Brain, but "Snowball for Windows"?

Grimm

join:2011-05-23
reply to Ghastlyone
I've got the demo/preview codes still and can give you one if you want to try it
--
Slydermv--In short.. hookers save lives.

Nesse

join:2009-06-12
Naperville, IL
reply to Mashiki
said by Mashiki:

So...wait...

People cried, complained and whined that they wanted D3 to have the same repetitiveness as D1/2, but didn't want to lug around health pots, and tomes for identifying and porting back and all that jazz, so they did it. But now people are whining, crying and complaining because they're doing the same thing that they did in the first two games? Okay there...my only real complaint is the lack of random map generation outside of dungeons, that in itself gets kinda boring.

I don't think it's they got a better taste in games, it's that they got used to ezmoding.

Ezmoding? If by ezmoding you mean shopping on the AH for items rather than actually finding them in game. Sure. Or maybe you meant how someone could find a really awesome item. Equip it. Pass it to every single toon he was playing. Finally out level the item and still sell it on the AH for the next guy.

Now I have never played Diablo, or D2, but if its anything like D3 was, Im pretty sure I wouldnt have enjoy those games either. Item hunting should be part of the fun of the game, which would included rerunning parts of the game over and over again to find those items. The problem with that, almost all the items that would drop would be complete crap. Upgrades were few and far between.... unless of you shopped on the AH, and then you could gear up for cheap because none of the decent items were ever removed from the game. Just recirculated. And if finding the gear you need to advance means shopping the AH, whats the point of playing again?

KeepOnRockin
Music Lover Forever
Premium
join:2002-11-08
Beaverton, OR
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by Nesse:

said by Mashiki:

So...wait...

Ezmoding? If by ezmoding you mean shopping on the AH for items rather than actually finding them in game. Sure. Or maybe you meant how someone could find a really awesome item. Equip it. Pass it to every single toon he was playing. Finally out level the item and still sell it on the AH for the next guy.

Now I have never played Diablo, or D2, but if its anything like D3 was, Im pretty sure I wouldnt have enjoy those games either. Item hunting should be part of the fun of the game, which would included rerunning parts of the game over and over again to find those items. The problem with that, almost all the items that would drop would be complete crap. Upgrades were few and far between.... unless of you shopped on the AH, and then you could gear up for cheap because none of the decent items were ever removed from the game. Just recirculated. And if finding the gear you need to advance means shopping the AH, whats the point of playing again?

Diablo 2 was great because you could get through the max difficulty (hell) with semi-mediocre gear and drops of decent gear were way more frequent.

There was also a concept called "rune words" where you could make specific weapons and armor out of socketed equipment and runes you found.

Spike
Premium
join:2008-05-16
Toronto, ON
reply to Ghastlyone
said by Ghastlyone:

Makes you wonder if Blizzard themselves are throwing high end, unattainable gear on the AH in hopes people purchase gold.

And why wouldn't they? Not like YOU have a way of knowing. Period.

Blizzard expects us to take their word. Also, you don't need to buy gold, as RMAH items are in dollar amounts.
Blizzard can shove all kinds of godlike $250 items there, as there are idiots that will buy them. Pure profit.

As for the game price? $19.99
The playerbase has dropped down the toilet.

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:11
reply to Ghastlyone
$9.99

Mashiki
Balking The Enemy's Plans

join:2002-02-04
Woodstock, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
·Bright House
reply to Ghastlyone
Okay. So I'm reading all the replies in the thread to me and they're coming from people who either haven't played the game. Or are coming from people who played after the game had an expansion or came late to the game. D3 right now is almost the same as when D2 was released, had to burst your shiny bubble.

There were no rune words until there was the expansion. The mediocre gear can still get you to hell now(and through it--even pre-nerf). Nightmare was still nightmare back in D2 as much as it is now, and still a pain in the ass. Shitty gear in D2 was still shitty gear now. If anything the AH makes the game a face roll.

ohh

join:2011-07-16
San Jose, CA
said by Mashiki:

Okay. So I'm reading all the replies in the thread to me and they're coming from people who either haven't played the game. Or are coming from people who played after the game had an expansion or came late to the game. D3 right now is almost the same as when D2 was released, had to burst your shiny bubble.

There were no rune words until there was the expansion. The mediocre gear can still get you to hell now(and through it--even pre-nerf). Nightmare was still nightmare back in D2 as much as it is now, and still a pain in the ass. Shitty gear in D2 was still shitty gear now. If anything the AH makes the game a face roll.

Because the current dev group did not have ten plus years from Diablo 2 to learn from. Alright! Take me to this wondrous alternate reality you live in!

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
reply to Mashiki
said by Mashiki:

Okay. So I'm reading all the replies in the thread to me and they're coming from people who either haven't played the game. Or are coming from people who played after the game had an expansion or came late to the game.

Uh, what? We're all posting here saying how we regret we bought it. The bolded part also makes no sense whatsoever.
--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

ohh

join:2011-07-16
San Jose, CA
said by Krisnatharok:

said by Mashiki:

Okay. So I'm reading all the replies in the thread to me and they're coming from people who either haven't played the game. Or are coming from people who played after the game had an expansion or came late to the game.

Uh, what? We're all posting here saying how we regret we bought it. The bolded part also makes no sense whatsoever.

He is saying the people that have posted "Diablo 3 is bad" obviously did not play Diablo 2 or only played it after the expansion had been released.

I liked Diablo 2 from the original release including the expansion. Some people only like the original, some people only like the expansion.. I like both and I think Diablo 3 sucks.

a2nxtcrav3r
Pokes People With Stick
Premium
join:2003-07-13
San Jose, CA
reply to Ghastlyone
$15 no more than that.

$20 for collectors
--
hmmmmmm....

Thaler
Premium
join:2004-02-02
Los Angeles, CA
kudos:3
reply to Ghastlyone
I'd still pay my Collector's Edition price. It's paid for itself via suckers.

brianiscool

join:2000-08-16
Tampa, FL
kudos:1
reply to Ghastlyone
I bet in 5 years it will drop to $29.99.

Babbat
Blissfully Ignorant
Premium
join:2001-06-24
Long Island
reply to Ghastlyone
I don't regret the original price. It was fun for a while. But once I realized I needed to either rerun Inferno Act 1 forever to get the incremental upgrades or use the RMAH to buy my way into Act 2, I dropped the game.

bionicRod
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium
join:2009-07-06
united state
kudos:2
said by Babbat:

I don't regret the original price. It was fun for a while. But once I realized I needed to either rerun Inferno Act 1 forever to get the incremental upgrades or use the RMAH to buy my way into Act 2, I dropped the game.

footballdude
Premium
join:2002-08-13
Imperial, MO
reply to Babbat
said by Babbat:

That's exactly how it played out for me.
--
Concentrated power has always been the enemy of liberty - Ronald Reagan

ender7074

join:2006-11-21
Saint Louis, MO
reply to Ghastlyone
9.99 and not a dollar more. First play through is pretty enjoyable. 2nd starts fun then that drops off quickly. By the time you're getting into the harder levels, its like nails on a chalkboard. Drops suck, story is predictable, little changes even though the game has "random" areas. Good for one play though only.
--
Does Microsoft mean small and squishy?

stvnbrs
Premium
join:2009-03-17
Cary, NC
kudos:5
reply to Ghastlyone
Before playing TL2: $29.99
After: $15.00

TL2 is so much more fun than D3 it is night and day. D3 is like searching for treasure in a dump, where TL2 is like going to the rich neighborhood's yard sales.
--
Goggalor: "Freedom of speech is not freedom of asshattery."