spc
Search similar:

uniqs

I_H8_Spam
join:2004-03-10
St Catharines, ON

I_H8_Spam

Canada to deport female U.S. war deserter

Kimberly Rivera has until September 20th to leave, face's certain arrest and detainment/confinement in USA.

»www.cbc.ca/news/canada/t ··· tor.html

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

said by I_H8_Spam:

Kimberly Rivera has until September 20th to leave, face's certain arrest and detainment/confinement in USA.

Of course, "The Harper Government" bowing to their American Masters. Back in the day, we'd welcome deserters, you would think in light of Dubya's illegal Iraq war, we'd be as welcoming.
mickw99
join:2003-04-09
Kitchener, ON

1 recommendation

mickw99 to I_H8_Spam

to I_H8_Spam
She joined on her own free will. There is no draft that forced her into the military. as much as war sucks when you join you do as you are told.

loosedobbs
join:2006-06-13
Toronto

loosedobbs

said by mickw99:

She joined on her own free will. There is no draft that forced her into the military. as much as war sucks when you join you do as you are told.

correct.

When you join the force you set aside your political views. Or Join the politics.
said by elwoodblues:

said by I_H8_Spam:

Of course, "The Harper Government" bowing to their American Masters. Back in the day, we'd welcome deserters, you would think in light of Dubya's illegal Iraq war, we'd be as welcoming.

Also true.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

1 edit

Guspaz to I_H8_Spam

MVM

to I_H8_Spam
No draft, no sympathy. It is not the soldier's place to make judgements on these sort of things. You desert like this, I don't know why you'd expect Canada to shelter you.

I have some sympathy for draft dodgers, but there has not been a draft to dodge since what, the 70s?

milnoc
join:2001-03-05
Ottawa

milnoc

Exactly. In the end, people have to accept responsibility for their own decisions, such as joining an army where there's the possibility of being called back after you've finish your original term of service.

lugnut
@look.ca

lugnut to elwoodblues

Anon

to elwoodblues
First off she is a volunteer in an all volunteer army. If she had moral qualms about killing civilians in the name of Uncle Sam she should have thought that thru before she signed her life way. It's a shame about her kids, but then again there's plenty of felons in prison with kids. They're just going to have to wait til mommy serves her time at Leavenworth.

Secondly, the US has made it abundantly clear that should Canada begin welcoming military deserters, they would have no trouble with opening up their prisons and sending ALL of their criminals up here.

If you need a historical precedent just look back to the 1980's when Cuba did that exact thing to the Americans...

That's why grown up countries settle these things diplomatically...

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to I_H8_Spam

Premium Member

to I_H8_Spam
You guys are something else.

Who knows what she was told? The recruiters will lie, cheat and steal to get your to join the Army,they are desperate for people.

For all you know she could have been told she'd posted to some cushy gig in South Florida, and the next week she's been shipped off to Iraq.

TLS2000
Premium Member
join:2004-02-24
Elmsdale, NS

TLS2000

Premium Member

C'mon Elwood, anyone joining any military force would be naive to think that they had no chance of being shipped off into battle.
Expand your moderator at work

The Machine
@videotron.ca

The Machine to Guspaz

Anon

to Guspaz

Re: Canada to deport female U.S. war deserter

said by Guspaz:

I have some sympathy for draft dodgers l, but there has not been a draft to dodge since what, the 70s?

You are ignoring the fact that recruiters have targeted disadvantaged kids, kids in slums, kids in villages with no hope of a decent job, kids in despair and so forth. All targeted with giving them dreams and hope.

The American news from the US had all of this on the news for you to watch see for yourself. Even the Canadian news carried this.

Sure it's not a draft, but it is targeting the most vulnerable and susceptible. It's no different than a cult.

indeed
@videotron.ca

indeed to TLS2000

Anon

to TLS2000
said by TLS2000:

C'mon Elwood, anyone joining any military force would be naive to think that they had no chance of being shipped off into battle.

Then you don't know and have no clue what has gone on in the states. They have secretly filmed these recruiters who get recruiting bonuses and confronted them with the footage. You should be able to google all this and maybe even see it on youtube.

Naive? Yes, young disadvantaged people are.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to TLS2000

Premium Member

to TLS2000
Come'on yourself, how often do you see an ad for the Armed Forces (US or Canada) showing soldiers fighting in war?

Look here : An ad that shows them fighting drug smugglers, protecting the north, and helping the victims of human smuggling

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· z6WznsE8

Don't see anything about going to war (not to paint them with a single brush, but many soldiers are not the brightest kids on the block).

And here it's a "Great Life"

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· Bntul4uo

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to lugnut

Premium Member

to lugnut
said by lugnut :

Secondly, the US has made it abundantly clear that should Canada begin welcoming military deserters, they would have no trouble with opening up their prisons and sending ALL of their criminals up here.

Citation plzkthx.

The United States, for what it's worth, is not Cuba.

lugnut
@look.ca

lugnut to elwoodblues

Anon

to elwoodblues
If I believed everything I saw on TV I'd be leasing a Kia, Vacationing in Rimouski and Douching with Massengill.

The fact of the matter is that the public at large is very aware of the responsibilities of signing up for military service, and if she's not bright enough to research before she signs, at least her friends and family should have put her straight.

Caveat emptor. If she was stupid enough to believe that signing up in the middle of the Iraq war would pay off her student loans and post her in Hawaii with no negative repercussions, then she's dumber than a sackful of hammers.

Either way, it's not Canada's responsibility to clean up after her mess. She's going to prison and that's that.

milnoc
join:2001-03-05
Ottawa

milnoc to elwoodblues

to elwoodblues
Sorry ElwoodBlues. It's an ARMY! Armies fight in WARS! That's how it's always been, and that's how it'll always be.

Here's something to ponder. Have any CANADIAN soldiers ever defected to the USA because they didn't want to be deployed?

It makes you wonder which nation has the smarter -- and more courageous -- soldiers in their armed forces.

TLS2000
Premium Member
join:2004-02-24
Elmsdale, NS
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti U6-LR
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-nanoHD

TLS2000 to indeed

Premium Member

to indeed
said by indeed :

Then you don't know and have no clue what has gone on in the states. They have secretly filmed these recruiters who get recruiting bonuses and confronted them with the footage. You should be able to google all this and maybe even see it on youtube.

Naive? Yes, young disadvantaged people are.

Gimme a break. No one is dumb enough to believe that being in the military means that they won't ever get sent off to war. Regardless of what the recruiters are alleged to have said, it's the responsibility of a person who is SIGNING YEARS OF THEIR LIFE AWAY to read the contract.

Can anyone here honestly say that they think joining the military is all about driving/flying/sailing WAR MACHINES for fun? She signed the contract KNOWING that there was a possibility that she'd get sent to war. She decided to run away instead of living up for what she signed up for. She now has to face the consequences and Canada has no business in interfering with that.

lugnut
@look.ca

lugnut to Gone

Anon

to Gone
I can't find a citation for an article I read 10 years ago, but it's common sense. Deserters are criminals in the eyes of the law and once a nation reneges on an extradition treaty there are consequences to be faced.

As for the US not being Cuba, I agree with you on one point. They don't have socialized medicine

allTHEabove
@videotron.ca

allTHEabove to lugnut

Anon

to lugnut
said by lugnut :

Caveat emptor. If she was stupid enough to believe that signing up in the middle of the Iraq war would pay off her student loans and post her in Hawaii with no negative repercussions, then she's dumber than a sackful of hammers.

And that's exactly what they do in area's where disadvantage is the norm. "You don't want your mom working at McDonalnds all her life to pay for your school do you"? and so forth. This is one way how they hit the young & vulnerable.

Dumber than a red brick? Yeah. Young and stupid? Yeah. Naive? yeah. Yes to all the above. That's why they are called vulnerable.

However, it's a great career if you can do it.

half truths
@videotron.ca

half truths to TLS2000

Anon

to TLS2000
said by TLS2000:

She decided to run away instead of living up for what she signed up for.

She served in Iraq. She only ran away from it afterwards while on leave after a year.

So to say she ran away instead of serving is a half truth.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

said by half truths :

said by TLS2000:

She decided to run away instead of living up for what she signed up for.

She served in Iraq. She only ran away from it afterwards while on leave after a year.

So to say she ran away instead of serving is a half truth.

But they said so on Fox News (and Faux News North), so it must be true.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to lugnut

Premium Member

to lugnut
said by lugnut :

I can't find a citation for an article I read 10 years ago

So in other words it was a load of bullshit that you made up with no basis in reality or fact.

Good to know.

A Lurker
that's Ms Lurker btw
Premium Member
join:2007-10-27
Wellington N

A Lurker to I_H8_Spam

Premium Member

to I_H8_Spam
It's hard, it's tough, people shoot at you. There's no draft, so I'm with the others - no sympathy.

They probably do go after disadvantaged youths, but that's something the people of America have to raise with their government. Without knowing the details - is she going to pay back any money they spent on her education, training, etc. If not, how many others will want to do the same thing? Perfect, get an education, flee, and no consequences.

Sorry, ship her back, she needs to serve her time. It will be interesting after that point if Canada will let her rejoin her husband here.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

said by A Lurker:

Sorry, ship her back, she needs to serve her time. It will be interesting after that point if Canada will let her rejoin her husband here.

But she'll be a convicted criminal, we don't allow those in the country, unless your name is Conrad Black of course.

eyeroll
@videotron.ca

eyeroll to Gone

Anon

to Gone
said by Gone:

said by lugnut :

I can't find a citation for an article I read 10 years ago

So in other words it was a load of bullshit that you made up with no basis in reality or fact.

Good to know.

No. I also recall it. It was when Martin was PM. In the ensuing war of words he said he would sell Canada's oil to China and cut the US off.

So yes. It was said. Maybe you yourself can try googling it instead of always trying to carry on some sort of baby fight w/ someone. Never ends with you, eh?

lugnut
@look.ca

lugnut to Gone

Anon

to Gone
No. It was an article I read during one of the last times we had to deport a deserter sometime during the Bush administration. Bullshit is your mindless jibber jabber that you spew whenever you get a crab up your ass and feel like making a federal case out of a very minor point.

Do you seriously think the teabaggers and other right wing loonies running the show south of the border these days would think twice about sending their criminals up to us if we started ignoring legitimate American extradition orders?

We even allow them to extradite Canadians who commit no crimes on American soil because of their stupid patriot act. Or have you already forgotten about Marc Emery? Do you think we really gave him up without their threat of mayhem hanging over our heads?

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot to elwoodblues

Premium Member

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

Come'on yourself, how often do you see an ad for the Armed Forces (US or Canada) showing soldiers fighting in war?

How often do you see an ad for them bailing people out of tropical storms or shovelling them out of snow?

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to eyeroll

Premium Member

to eyeroll
said by eyeroll :

No. I also recall it. It was when Martin was PM. In the ensuing war of words he said he would sell Canada's oil to China and cut the US off.

So yes. It was said. Maybe you yourself can try googling it instead of always trying to carry on some sort of baby fight w/ someone. Never ends with you, eh?

If it was said, cite it. It's not up to me to do either if your homework. Until then, you're either outright talking bullshit, or taking something so wildly out of context that we may as well call it bullshit anyway.

digitalfutur
Sees More Than Shown
Premium Member
join:2000-07-15
GTA

digitalfutur to elwoodblues

Premium Member

to elwoodblues
Since it was an "illegal" war, Obama has the power to stop any prosecution of deserters deported back to the U.S.

Contact him to get it done.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to lugnut

Premium Member

to lugnut
Don't forget that the CEO of Sherrit can be prosecuted in the US for doing business with Cuba.