Premium Member
join:2002-11-04
Calgary

Riamen to funny no

Premium Member

to funny no

Re: Canada to deport female U.S. war deserter

said by funny no :

Many Canadians didn't go to Afgan, many got out just of their belief of it, many pulled a sore back BS thing and the Canadian military let it slide. Big differences between the US and here when Canada got involved. I know of a couple of guys who pulled the back injury to get out of going. You don't find it kinda funny how there aren't many deserters here? Our military let them out.

That's bullshit. I served 24 years in the CF regular force and reserves. There's no calling in sick in the military. There's no getting out of duty unless you have a medical chit (a signed note from a doctor). That means no matter how sick you feel you go to a military doctor and you don't get off unless they confirm it. To get out of duty they would have to prove they had a real back injury.

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot to funny no

Premium Member

to funny no
said by funny no :

Many Canadians didn't go to Afgan, many got out just of their belief of it, many pulled a sore back BS thing and the Canadian military let it slide.

Many? I haven't heard of this widespread military "sore back" issue so perhaps it's not as many as you think...

Or perhaps you're making things up. If you showed me some kind of official numbers concerning the significance and reality of this widespread issue, you'd seem more credible.
said by funny no :

I know of a couple of guys who pulled the back injury to get out of going.

And I know a couple of guys and a girl who respectfully and proudly served their country without hesitation, and I don't believe I know anyone that would look fondly on anyone that pulled some kind of back injury excuse.

I find it hard to believe you know at least two individuals that 'pulled the back injury to get out of' serving.
said by funny no :

Some funny differences between here and there, eh?

Funny stories, that's for sure...
booj
join:2011-02-07
Richmond, ON

booj to Riamen

to Riamen
said by Riamen:

There's no calling in sick in the military. There's no getting out of duty unless you have a medical chit (a signed note from a doctor). That means no matter how sick you feel you go to a military doctor and you don't get off unless they confirm it. To get out of duty they would have to prove they had a real back injury.

All true, but pre-deployment fitness standards are very high, higher than regular CF standards. It's feasible that some intentionally did not meet the minimum requirements. Doctors are not going to force anyone to finish a ruck march.

At least we can be proud that we only sent real soldiers overseas.

Funny No
@videotron.ca

Funny No to Riamen

Anon

to Riamen
said by Riamen:

said by funny no :

Many Canadians didn't go to Afgan, many got out just of their belief of it, many pulled a sore back BS thing and the Canadian military let it slide. Big differences between the US and here when Canada got involved. I know of a couple of guys who pulled the back injury to get out of going. You don't find it kinda funny how there aren't many deserters here? Our military let them out.

That's bullshit. I served 24 years in the CF regular force and reserves. There's no calling in sick in the military. There's no getting out of duty unless you have a medical chit (a signed note from a doctor). That means no matter how sick you feel you go to a military doctor and you don't get off unless they confirm it. To get out of duty they would have to prove they had a real back injury.

Sad to say, it's not chit. I know people who pulled the back back and got out of deployment to afgan. Afterwards, about a year later, The CDN gov even had something going for a while when this deployment was still going on (Forget what it was, a discharge or other for those who refused to go) and exempted many people. You should be able to google this, it's only been a few years.

So, no. It's no chit. Happened. We were all sitting down for Xmas dinner with a couple of mil guys and their wives who got out and this is what happened and how it went down.
Funny No

Funny No to booj

Anon

to booj
said by booj:

but pre-deployment fitness standards are very high, higher than regular CF standards. It's feasible that some intentionally did not meet the minimum requirements. Doctors are not going to force anyone to finish a ruck march.

yeah, I no longer recall all the specifics of it, it's been a few years, but I do recall the guys telling how how they were going to get out (or hope to) and it had to do with some sort of med exam.

When we saw them again about 8 months later, they told us they pulled the sore back thing and got out. It all worked as they stated. But again, the CDN gov had something going on at the time (or a little later on after the fact) that didn't force deployment.

So while some here are thinking of gun-ho John Wayne movies where you can't get out and such, this was not the case with Canada, and certainly not with the afgan deployment.
peterboro (banned)
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned) to CanadianRip

to CanadianRip
said by CanadianRip:

What a bunch of malarkey. This is the same country where you can get bamboozled by a bunch of recruiters that use all kinds of known strategies on vulnerable minds. Minds that are old enough to commit to a lethal contract.

I was stationed on an Air Force base in California back in the day as a civilian contractor and my 16 yr old son who was down visiting, and was an Air Cadet went to the recruiting office and got the straight goods.
Grappler
join:2002-09-01
Ottawa, ON

Grappler to I_H8_Spam

to I_H8_Spam
Maybe, just maybe this female should have signed up for the extended insurance benefits as noted in the following:

"Boudreaux, the smoothest-talking Cajun in the Louisiana National Guard, got called up to active duty. Boudreaux's first assignment was in a military induction center. Because he was a good talker, they assigned him the duty of advising new recruits about government benefits, especially the GI insurance to which they were entitled.
The officer in charge soon noticed that Boudreaux was getting a 99% sign-up rate for the more expensive supplemental form of GI insurance. This was remarkable, because it cost these low-income recruits $30.00 per month for the higher coverage, compared to what the government was already providing at no charge.
The officer decided he'd sit in the back of the room at the next briefing and observe Boudreaux's sales pitch.
Boudreaux stood up before the latest group of inductees and said, "If you has da normal GI insurans an' you goes to Afghanistan an' gets youself killed, da govment' pays you benefishery $20,000. If you takes out da suppmental insurans, which cost you only t'irty dollars a munt, den da governmen' gots ta pay you benefishery $400,000! "Now," Boudreaux concluded, "which bunch you tink dey gonna send ta Afghanistan first?"

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS to Funny No

to Funny No
said by Funny No :

yeah, I no longer recall all the specifics of it, it's been a few years, but I do recall the guys telling how how they were going to get out (or hope to) and it had to do with some sort of med exam.

When we saw them again about 8 months later, they told us they pulled the sore back thing and got out. It all worked as they stated. But again, the CDN gov had something going on at the time (or a little later on after the fact) that didn't force deployment.

So while some here are thinking of gun-ho John Wayne movies where you can't get out and such, this was not the case with Canada, and certainly not with the afgan deployment.

Right. Making the rule from the exception. I know many who have served in Afghanistan and I work on a CF base from time to time. Our local base had a whole company of people awaiting discharge. No, they never served in Afghanistan. But many did. Those who did, served with honour.

milnoc
join:2001-03-05
Ottawa

milnoc to Grappler

to Grappler
said by Grappler:

"which bunch you tink dey gonna send ta Afghanistan first?"

True or not, that made my day!