Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to nitzguy

Premium Member

to nitzguy

Re: Daily Fluctuation in Gasoline Prices

This has nothing to do with Nafta, all Nafta prescribes is that we cannot short the Americans unless we short ourselves.

World prices (spot or not) are determined by the market, and of course the market will pick the most expensive price. The Brent Spot is almost $10/bbl more then the WTI or Nymex prices.

But as we've seen the price of oil and the price of gasoline are now completely independent of each other.

andyb
Premium Member
join:2003-05-29
SW Ontario

andyb

Premium Member

Funny thing is not many actually buy oil from the market.They make contracts with companies to supply them and hammer out a price during negotiations.

And Canadian oil sells for about 15 to 20 bucks cheaper than WTI but we pay for gasoline based on Brent price

I_H8_Spam
join:2004-03-10
St Catharines, ON

I_H8_Spam

said by andyb:

And Canadian oil sells for about 15 to 20 bucks cheaper than WTI but we pay for gasoline based on Brent price

Actually gasoline is not tied to Brent, it's priced from the higher of the two markets.

RBOB gasoline - Nymex
RBOB Gasoline - (IPE)-ICE

Whoever sets the higher price at closing, sets the benchmark our oil companies gouge us with the next day.

nitzguy
Premium Member
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON

nitzguy to elwoodblues

Premium Member

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

This has nothing to do with Nafta, all Nafta prescribes is that we cannot short the Americans unless we short ourselves.

World prices (spot or not) are determined by the market, and of course the market will pick the most expensive price. The Brent Spot is almost $10/bbl more then the WTI or Nymex prices.

But as we've seen the price of oil and the price of gasoline are now completely independent of each other.

Exactly...so why sell to Canadians when I can sell to an American and make more profit?

If you break out the cost of gasoline minus taxes, you'll see that Americans are paying more per litre/gallon vs. canadians...

And that's life.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

We don't make more profit, the price is the same. If I sell to the Americans for say $1/bbl I can't sell it to Canadians for say 50c/bbl NAFTA won't allow that.