join:2000-05-01
Fayetteville, AR
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

4 edits

[AR] Unable to Login to Internet Tools?! UPDATE

This happens on every browser so far?

1. Why does it require a double login?

3. After the first login, when we try to access Internet Tools it again goes to the choose your location page?! Why is that?

2. Why does the second login attempt never work with any browser
(FF, Opera, SM, Chromium)?!

In point of fact, sometimes the FIRST login fails with the wrong UN or PW error. This seems to vary depending upon which browser is used. The error for 2nd one is a invalid or internal server error and is same for every browser. As long as I can remember, we've had difficulty with Cox logins with their own website.

Thanks for any help!

UPDATE
Well well, my now ancient but still great Opera 9.64 finally gives us joy! Was able to access it without a double login but what is baffling, is why the others failed. With Opera 9 we just went to cox.net - choose location, logged in and then went to account management. Seems greatly simple! But it's impossible to do that when we are in the web mail page and click on Internet Tools, or within the newer browsers from the cox.net\location login page. We are totally baffled by this.

So many times I end up getting problems like this solved with this older Opera. I'll never stop using it. They'll have to pry it out of my cold dead keyboard!

UPDATE2
Definitely feel like I've entered the Twilight Zone here. Now it works the way we like. And we used FF this time. Since it seems the only secure login is with the webmail page (https) and not the cox.net method (http), we used that. Have absolutely no idea why it failed only moments before.

Can anyone confirm Cox has a secure login to their main page(s)? If so, how do we access it? If not, why is that?

UPDATE3
I'm hoping someone can explain why this is so intermittent! Only moments ago everything worked. Now again the nightmare where the "intercept\choose nearest service area" page keeps coming up A F T E R logging in successfully and simply trying to access the Internet Tools. This time it was from the Web Mail page again with Opera and FF.

What on earth is going on here?!

mercutio215

join:2011-09-24

Sounds like a cookie issue on your computer. From what it sounds like it is taking you to the choose your location page because the cookie's are being rejected.

No_Strings
Premium,MVM,Ex-Mod 2008-13
join:2001-11-22
The OC
kudos:6
reply to KahunaNui

Tried it here just for a sanity check and it worked as expected. Chrome browser.

KahunaNui

Fayetteville, AR
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to KahunaNui

ARRRRGGGHHH! None of this is making any sense at all. Tech Support confirmed their 'web work' was less than admirable (I'm paraphrasing more politely to protect the incredibly honest person I dealt with). Trouble Ticket started over this.

It's completely ridiculous that there's that much hassle with a site. BTW, this is with Classic, not Enhanced. I don't even see a link to internet tools from the enhanced UI. But in classic, we can't even access our account settings. It now *always* redirects to the location choice page. In Chromium (srwIron), it allows us to 'back up' into the account. But in FF & Opera, if we 'go back' from the intercept location choice page we again have to login. Insane. Why it worked perfectly with Opera 9 and FF (only once with each) but not again is mind boggling since we changed nothing. I'm allowing cookies, not blocking referral, allowing popups, real 'bare bones' here just to make sure. This is the only site of all the sites I have problems with. All because I all of a sudden wanted to check the data usage amount. Since I've never went to the internet tools before, I've never had a problem. Who'd a thunk it would have created such a hassle?!

I'm now going to to another system (almost exact same OS & browsers but updated Java and thats about it) to test. We have FF, Opera 9 & Iron on that one also.

Can anyone verify using XP Pro SP2? I'm starting to think about putting on a foil hat Perhaps they've got something against that old OS.

Thanks for the responses!

KahunaNui

Fayetteville, AR
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to KahunaNui

Ok, now check this out:

Using Opera 9 & FF 3.6.28 and even ANCIENT SM 1.1.19 all the following works the same:

1. Login to web mail classic.
2. Goto "Order Services"
3. Back up into the mail account
4. Goto "Internet Tools" OR Account settings link
NO PROBLEM WHATSOEVER.

With Iron it still redirects to the intercept location page with the above steps.

This confirms that this problem is on their end.

At least now we know how to get there and which browsers we can and can't use. BTW, it has nothing to do with checking the "remember . . . " box on login OR referral blocking, or even allowing cox business servers (noscript). It is simply IMHO more of a case of Web Moronitis. Creating code that handles certain browsers differently that creates havoc for us. We can't simply click on Internet Tools or our Account settings\profile UNTIL we click on the "Order Services" link?! whah?! I haven't designed web pages for eons... but I can't imagine that this can't be explained and fixed somehow.

Any ideas would be appreciated, but at least I've figured out a convoluted ridiculous way of getting to the links I need.

ajwees41
Premium
join:2002-05-10
Omaha, NE
reply to KahunaNui

does it on the view bill page for me

KahunaNui

Fayetteville, AR
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

said by ajwees41:

does it on the view bill page for me

Thanks! At every support level they confirmed that there are problems with the site. But the real fun came with 2nd Tier... where they actually told me that we MUST login TWICE in spite of the fact that every single ISP mail account I've ever had in all my orbits around the sun since I started this has never been that anal. In every single account we've ever had, once you logged into your account, you would have access to your account settings. But that dog doesn't hunt here without either logging in TWICE or clicking on that Order Services button. With Chromium, we must log in twice no matter what.

In other words, If you successfully log into your mail account, you SHOULD be able to simply access your mail account profile. That is NOT the case here, until you click on the Order Services link and go back to the mail account. But then something very strange [yet again] happens: The "Account Profile" link below the "My Account" button is gone! Think of this:

Upon logging into your mail account the Account Profile button\link is present but if you click on it you immediately redirect to the 'choose your closest location' page. You must then logon yet again and hope you do not get the Internal Server error and only then can you go to back to web mail and now the Account Profile button has relocated itself to the Internet Tools area where you can then access it. On other occasions it seems to remain where it was and is accessible. It's absolutely crazy.

This is some pretty messed up stuff they've done here. This last statement has pretty much been confirmed by all Techs I spoke with. The other thing they all seem to agree on is the entire page set needs a complete rewrite. Great.

If others are not experiencing this extreme weirdness and double logons etc., the servers they are logging into do not have this messed up code source.

I would really like to know how others in our area are handling this. The only way to avoid the double log in is to simply click on the Order Services button and return to the mail UI. This just isn't right yet is confirmed by tech support. They claim that you MUST logon twice no matter what. I could only point out the alternative which they agree is bizarre, but they of course can't duplicate without our PW.

BTW, they only officially support IE and FF but I bet most of you already knew that. 2nd Tier had no clue about Chromium and one of the 1st tier techs couldn't even figure out what browser she was using on her own [work] computer while we were going through all this!!!!!!!!!!!!! Still another admitted they could only access mail from their home using IE. Amazing.

I'm keeping this ticket alive but for what I don't know.

Lastly, we were stunned at how many cookies are being set by the [what should be] simple action of logging into your mail account?! It's mind boggling. If anyone know which ones we need to leave intact to avoid all this please let me know.

KahunaNui

Fayetteville, AR
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to No_Strings

said by No_Strings:

Tried it here just for a sanity check and it worked as expected. Chrome browser.

Could you let us know where you are? TS confirmed that depending upon your location it could be much different experience. With srwIron we must logon twice in order to gain sanity. All other browsers we can click on the order services button and that 'cures' the problem.

Thanks!

No_Strings
Premium,MVM,Ex-Mod 2008-13
join:2001-11-22
The OC
kudos:6

Orange County, California.

Google Chrome Version 21.0.1180.57

Slackware Linux 13.37

Rob_
Premium
join:2008-07-16
Mary Esther, FL
kudos:1

First of all the webpage is total crap, again, I mentioned the dueling logins and got no responses.

It needs to be advanced yet simple. One spot for everything. This is one reason why I'm not going paperless.

It's 2012 not 2005.. I know Cox isn't up to today's standards, however, a website design is everything to a business.

Also, I do have a question for the reps on here

Does watching TV via the Cox portal count against your monthly cap??

-Rob

KahunaNui

Fayetteville, AR
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to No_Strings

said by No_Strings:

Orange County, California.

Google Chrome Version 21.0.1180.57

Slackware Linux 13.37

Thank you for this info. Ahh, my FAVORITE Linux 'flavor'!!!!! There's the rub... should be using that again!

KahunaNui

Fayetteville, AR
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to Rob_

said by Rob_:

First of all the webpage is total crap, again, I mentioned the dueling logins and got no responses.

It needs to be advanced yet simple. One spot for everything. This is one reason why I'm not going paperless.

It's 2012 not 2005.. I know Cox isn't up to today's standards, however, a website design is everything to a business.

Finally, someone who tells it like it is. I wanted to remain polite to these guys out of respect but Rob, you're Spot On. "Crap" says it all. Never seen anything like this in over 27 years of IT work. What really 'tweaked me up' was when the Tier 2 guy asks "Why do you need to get into your account settings?!" ???????????????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, anyway at least he also admitted the site needs a revamp.
And someday, I'd like to count how many cookies they are slamming us with, but my math skills might not be up to the task.

Thanks for confirming this insanity Rob!