Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

MrWags
What Would Scooby Doo?

join:2004-03-10
Sycamore, IL

WTF!!! Adobe Flash installing unwanted programs

I just updated Adobe Flash and also installed WITHOUT any opt-out dialog box was McAffe Security Scan Plus.
WTF is Adobe doing? Why no opt-out?
--
Knowledge Is Power. Power Corrupts. Study Hard, Be Evil!

redwolfe_98
Premium
join:2001-06-11
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

its possible that you didn't have "scripting" allowed on the adobe webpage where you were installing "flash player", in which case the option for opting out of the third-party install is not visible..

if you allow scripting on the webpage, then the option for opting out of the third-party install is visible..

jadinolf
I Love You Fred
Premium
join:2005-07-09
Ojai, CA
kudos:8

2 recommendations

It was visible on my install and I just unticked it.
--
Printed on 100% recycled bytes

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to redwolfe_98

said by redwolfe_98:

...if you allow scripting on the webpage, then the option for opting out of the third-party install is visible..

Oh gotta love the logic for that one. We'll by default install crapware unless you allow scripts to tell us not to.

This is why I try to use only direct download links. I avoid stub/web installers wherever possible. If that's the only choice I'll try them in a VM first to see what they do.
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

ZZZZZZZ
Premium
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE
kudos:1

Everything nowadays has some backdoor crap attached to it and though most have some sort of opt out............there are even some legit apps that don't even warn you.

I updated Format Factory yesterday only to see the freaking Ask toolbar exe in my temp folder and no way to delete it.

Had to boot into safe-mode to clean the crap off.

Only portable or standalone apps for me now and for the last couple of years.
--
~~Go Lions....back to back Cups!!~~

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17

1 recommendation

reply to StuartMW

said by StuartMW:

Oh gotta love the logic for that one. We'll by default install crapware unless you allow scripts to tell us not to.

It's similar to some services telling you - if you want us to stop tracking you, accept our cookies and then opt-out. Yeah, right

This is why I try to use only direct download links. I avoid stub/web installers wherever possible. If that's the only choice I'll try them in a VM first to see what they do.

Good advice.I always follow that practice too...
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

gugarci
Premium
join:2004-02-25
Lyndhurst, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to MrWags

If you download Flash from the Adobe Flash page you have to watch out for the unwanted programs and check them off.
»get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

I always download my Flash from the distribution page. No crapware.
»www.adobe.com/products/flashplay···on3.html
--
Desktop Win 7 x64 Emsisoft Anti Malware v6.6, Laptop Win 7 x64 & Desktop XP Pro Emsisoft Anti Malware v6.6 & Online Armor Premium v5.5, Netbook Win 7 Starter and Netbook XP Home Avast 7, MBAM and Hitman Pro used on-demand only.

jabarnut
Light Years Away
Premium,MVM
join:2005-01-22
Galaxy M31

4 edits

1 recommendation

reply to MrWags

said by gugarci:

I always download my Flash from the distribution page. No crapware.
»www.adobe.com/products/flashplay···on3.html

Yes, the link above is the place to get Flash, if you know what you're looking for. No crapware for sure.
And even Filehippo has the same .exe installers, if you feel so inclined. (I don't normally recommend going to a third party site, but no problem going there, as far as I'm concerned).
»www.filehippo.com/

And then, there's the Filehippo Update Checker, which is something I really like.
»www.filehippo.com/updatechecker/
Certainly not something to live by, but has often alerted me to program updates that were important.
In fact, there were times it made me aware of Flash updates even before they were available on the link provided by gugarci See Profile. And they provide direct download links, when the UDC says they're available.
Sorry to get a little OT here, but felt it was worth mentioning.

said by MrWags:

WTF is Adobe doing? Why no opt-out?

Because that's the way they want it, so unsuspecting people will install a bunch of crap when they aren't looking carefully.
I find it a little hard to believe there was no "opt out" somewhere, but they're often very easy to miss. Not that I'm really doubting for some reason there wasn't an opt-out in your particular case, mind you.
--
I had a life once.....now I have a Computer and a Modem.

gugarci
Premium
Lyndhurst, NJ
reply to MrWags

Same things happens at java.com. I'm updating java right now and I have been offered the McAfee Security Scan 2x. Still have 3 more PC's to do.

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
reply to MrWags

How can one check for the crap? Entry in 'control panels->programs', browser add-on, or what?

(I am not familiar with McAfee snake oil to know what this Security Scam Plus thing is)

norwegian
Premium
join:2005-02-15
Outback

For the purpose of what it is and where it is found.
Mcafee FAQ sheet:
»us.mcafee.com/en-us/local/docs/a···_faq.pdf

Product:
»home.mcafee.com/store/Product.as···ctid=mss
--
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

Thanks; I seem to be clean.

mmainprize

join:2001-12-06
Houghton Lake, MI
Reviews:
·Charter

1 edit
reply to jabarnut

Click for full size
said by jabarnut:

And then, there's the Filehippo Update Checker, which is something I really like.
»www.filehippo.com/updatechecker/

I never used that program before, i have been using the free version, Secunia Personal Software Inspector (PSI) and it has worked well.
»secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal/

I am still using the older Version 2 of this program as some like it better the the new version 3 where they made it a smiple UI.

See screen shoot

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC
kudos:17
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico

1 edit
reply to MrWags

Click for full size
Uncheck Bloatware
What jadinolf See Profile said.

gugarci
Premium
Lyndhurst, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to MrWags

It's always visible, same with java.com. Unless you are just clicking away without looking they're not hard to miss. And for users like that these add on's should be the least of their worries. At least these unwanted softwares are not trojans or rootkits.

Jan Janowski
Premium
join:2000-06-18
Skokie, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to ZZZZZZZ

After seeing your post, updated my Format Factory....
The Download doesn't give you option to not load it, but the Install does give you the option of not installing it....... Thanks for the info that FF had a 296 update!

said by ZZZZZZZ:

Everything nowadays has some backdoor crap attached to it and though most have some sort of opt out............there are even some legit apps that don't even warn you.

I updated Format Factory yesterday only to see the freaking Ask toolbar exe in my temp folder and no way to delete it.

said by ZZZZZZZ:

Aft

said by ZZZZZZZ:

--
Looking for 1939 Indian Motocycle

treetop1000

join:2003-11-07
Lexington, KY

1 edit
reply to MrWags

I'm not trying to threadjack here, but this is pertinent: Mods, if you are watching, please let this stand. I've posted elsewhere in these forums, but I'm trying to get the word out. The issue's been around for a month or so, and is only now becoming visible to the community.

Slightly off topic, but since we're talking about Flash...

Multiple installs of Flash will cause massive full screen video playback issues, looks like it's buffering at all times and will only play several frames before it starts buffering again. smooth playback isn't possible in fullscreen, and it's only slightly better in the windowed application inside the browser.
It has been observed that Flash can be updated, but the installer doesn't remove or deactivate the old versions or even repoint to the new version.
CONFLICT!!
Seems like all your installed versions of Flash will try to coexist and there's where the stutter/jerkiness comes from
Most notably in Chrome and may affect other browsers as well.

The only version of Flash you use should be the most recent and it should reside in the Win32 directory
Check your flash install locations.
look for the Chrome plugins at chrome://plugins and check your contents. check/disable all flash versions except the one in Win32

Name Game
Premium
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI
kudos:7

For chrome it is has been suggested to do the following for the stutter/ jerky problem and it also solve the problem with the real player plugin.

A: Chrome has recently been updated. Among the few changes that were rolled out in the update, Pepper Flash has been implemented to handle Flash video. You can learn more about the decision to implement Pepper Flash in this post from Google’s Chromium blog.

As a result of the update, you may have recently started having problems with RealPlayer’s Download This Video button in the browser such as it doesn’t appear when viewing videos in Chrome 21, or maybe you can see the button, but nothing happens when you click it, the following steps should resolve the problem. In order to fix the issue, please do the steps in both sections and close and reopen Chrome before trying the download again.

First: Disable Pepper Flash

1. Open a Google Chrome browser window.

2. In the address bar enter chrome://plugins/

3. Click the Details link in the top right corner.

4. The top entry should show three versions of Flash. Click Disable for the first one (you should see the Location listed as C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Application\21.0.1180.60\PepperFlash\pepflashplayer.dll).

5. Close, restart Chrome, and try downloading a video from your favorite video site.

»blog.chromium.org/2012/08/the-ro···and.html

When you do this the NPAPI Version of Flash that is still enabled will work fine to play all those flash media.
--
Gladiator Security Forum
»www.gladiator-antivirus.com/

Boricua
Premium
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto
reply to mmainprize

said by mmainprize:

I never used that program before, i have been using the free version, Secunia Personal Software Inspector (PSI) and it has worked well.

I am still using the older Version 2 of this program as some like it better the the new version 3 where they made it a smiple UI.

A manager at my job told me about this which I started using for home a few weeks ago. Excellent program.
--
Illegal aliens have always been a problem in the United States. Ask any Indian. Robert Orben

therube

join:2004-11-11
Randallstown, MD
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to MrWags

> its possible that you didn't have "scripting" allowed on the adobe webpage

In this case, if you have JavaScript disabled, you are never served the file nor given a link you can actually download from.

> Format Factory

Has long included "goodies", Users are advised to pay attention while installing this ad-supported application:.

> The issue's been around for a month or so

Much longer then that.

> Multiple installs of Flash

What do you mean by "multiple installs"?

> smooth playback isn't possible in fullscreen

IE or other browser or both?

> Flash can be updated, but the installer doesn't remove or deactivate the old versions

From (the little) I have seen, it does. Now it could be the case where the old is not discarded immediately, or even that you may end up with say a new IE OCX but the Mozilla DLL does not update until a bit afterwards. Odd the way that works out.

> Seems like all your installed versions of Flash will try to coexist

Even if they did, best I can determine (in Mozilla) is that it would, might, try the plugin in round-robin fashion. So the latest would get the nod, if that did not work, it might then go on to try the next older ... But from what I have seen, even to get to a situation like that would be very odd. (Adobe is a stickler when attempting to install an older version of a program when a newer is already installed.)

> it should reside in the Win32 directory

C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash actually. And 64-bit versions end up in the %windir%\Sysnative\ directory tree.

> Check your flash install locations

Mozilla's Addons Manager will clearly show what plugins you have installed, though not their locations. about:plugins will if you have the preference plugin.expose_full_path;true, set.

Name Game
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI

Interesting..then why did someone come out with the flash switcher proggie ?

»blog.sephiroth.it/firefox-extens···witcher/

therube

join:2004-11-11
Randallstown, MD
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon Online DSL

Click for full size
Click for full size
I didn't try it, but ...

The XPI contains various version of the Flash DLL, that it will simply copy into your Profile/extensions/ directory.

And I assume once there, it provides some method to select which version ends up being run. (You can do that now yourself from Addons Manager by manually copying DLLs & then disabling those you don't want to be active.)

Older versions were all named alike, NPSWF32.dll, so if doing manually, you would need to differentiate between the namings. (Note that the plugin need not necessarily be named NPSWF32.dll, as NPSWF32_10.1.dll works just as well.)

Here, I've added a few of the more recent versions of Flash for you.

Name Game
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI

Click for full size
Yes..I understand they are .dll..for instance in google chrome we have Location: C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\Application\21.0.1180.89\gcswf32.dll
which is part of this latest version..best way I can tell which versions is being used is going to youtube..let one start playing then right click on one and it tells you the version.

I guess one thing a user can do is get the lastest flash uninstaller from Adobe and hope it cleans all the old stuff out then install the new one.

»helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/···ows.html
--
Gladiator Security Forum

angussf
Premium
join:2002-01-11
Tucson, AZ
kudos:4
reply to mmainprize

said by mmainprize:

... before, i have been using the free version, Secunia Personal Software Inspector (PSI) and it has worked well.

I tried PSI, but I don't like the fact that it wants to run all the time in my system tray. It feeds info about my sytem back to Secunia.
--
Angus S-F
GeoApps, Tucson, Arizona, USA
»geoapps.com/
»www.linkedin.com/in/angussf
»geoapps.blogspot.com/

jabarnut
Light Years Away
Premium,MVM
join:2005-01-22
Galaxy M31

Yes, I've certainly used Secunia's PSI in the past as well. And while it's a lot more, um, thorough than Filehippo UDC, I like the fact that UDC is very, very fast, and will show you which basic programs are out of date.
Seems to me PSI took a painfully long time to scan. (Although it's been quite a while since I've used it).
--
I had a life once.....now I have a Computer and a Modem.

Name Game
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI
reply to treetop1000

said by treetop1000:

I'm not trying to threadjack here, but this is pertinent: Mods, if you are watching, please let this stand. I've posted elsewhere in these forums, but I'm trying to get the word out. The issue's been around for a month or so, and is only now becoming visible to the community.

Slightly off topic, but since we're talking about Flash...

Multiple installs of Flash will cause massive full screen video playback issues, looks like it's buffering at all times and will only play several frames before it starts buffering again. smooth playback isn't possible in fullscreen, and it's only slightly better in the windowed application inside the browser.
It has been observed that Flash can be updated, but the installer doesn't remove or deactivate the old versions or even repoint to the new version.
CONFLICT!!
Seems like all your installed versions of Flash will try to coexist and there's where the stutter/jerkiness comes from
Most notably in Chrome and may affect other browsers as well.

The only version of Flash you use should be the most recent and it should reside in the Win32 directory
Check your flash install locations.
look for the Chrome plugins and check your contents....

BTW..Chrome just updated today and there were 4 fixes for the pepper flash that might have solved the problem. »googlechromereleases.blogspot.co···_30.html
--
Gladiator Security Forum

treetop1000

join:2003-11-07
Lexington, KY

Yep just noticed that. Dunno if I'll be able to tell.
My problem went bye bye the instant I disabled the older versions. Versions that were all strangely -not- in win32 directory. the Chrome plugin page also gave me the dll library location specific to each older version, so I dropped in and renamed that dll to .xxdll and rebooted. BAM, no more stutter.
I know, overkill. and it might cause problems if Flash ever wanted to revert ...nah.

Name Game
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI

Yup..I had same stutter stuff..I don't think what you did was overkill..hang in there and do what has to be done so it works for you.

disconnected

@snet.net
reply to treetop1000

I wish Google would fix this problem. I must use IE if I want to watch flash based programming uninterrupted. The problem crops up nearly each time there's an update.