Name Game
Premium Member
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI

Name Game to therube

Premium Member

to therube

Re: WTF!!! Adobe Flash installing unwanted programs

Interesting..then why did someone come out with the flash switcher proggie ?

»blog.sephiroth.it/firefo ··· witcher/

therube
join:2004-11-11
Randallstown, MD

therube

Click for full size
Click for full size
I didn't try it, but ...

The XPI contains various version of the Flash DLL, that it will simply copy into your Profile/extensions/ directory.

And I assume once there, it provides some method to select which version ends up being run. (You can do that now yourself from Addons Manager by manually copying DLLs & then disabling those you don't want to be active.)

Older versions were all named alike, NPSWF32.dll, so if doing manually, you would need to differentiate between the namings. (Note that the plugin need not necessarily be named NPSWF32.dll, as NPSWF32_10.1.dll works just as well.)

Here, I've added a few of the more recent versions of Flash for you.

Name Game
Premium Member
Grand Rapids, MI

Name Game

Premium Member

Click for full size
Yes..I understand they are .dll..for instance in google chrome we have Location: C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\Application\21.0.1180.89\gcswf32.dll
which is part of this latest version..best way I can tell which versions is being used is going to youtube..let one start playing then right click on one and it tells you the version.

I guess one thing a user can do is get the lastest flash uninstaller from Adobe and hope it cleans all the old stuff out then install the new one.

»helpx.adobe.com/flash-pl ··· ows.html

angussf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-11
Tucson, AZ

angussf to mmainprize

Premium Member

to mmainprize
said by mmainprize:

... before, i have been using the free version, Secunia Personal Software Inspector (PSI) and it has worked well.
»secunia.com/vulnerabilit ··· ersonal/

I am still using the older Version 2 of this program as some like it better the the new version 3 where they made it a smiple UI.

I tried PSI, but I don't like the fact that it wants to run all the time in my system tray. It feeds info about my sytem back to Secunia.

jabarnut
Light Years Away
Premium Member
join:2005-01-22
Galaxy M31

jabarnut

Premium Member

Yes, I've certainly used Secunia's PSI in the past as well. And while it's a lot more, um, thorough than Filehippo UDC, I like the fact that UDC is very, very fast, and will show you which basic programs are out of date.
Seems to me PSI took a painfully long time to scan. (Although it's been quite a while since I've used it).

Name Game
Premium Member
Grand Rapids, MI

Name Game to treetop1000

Premium Member

to treetop1000
said by treetop1000:

I'm not trying to threadjack here, but this is pertinent: Mods, if you are watching, please let this stand. I've posted elsewhere in these forums, but I'm trying to get the word out. The issue's been around for a month or so, and is only now becoming visible to the community.

Slightly off topic, but since we're talking about Flash...

Multiple installs of Flash will cause massive full screen video playback issues, looks like it's buffering at all times and will only play several frames before it starts buffering again. smooth playback isn't possible in fullscreen, and it's only slightly better in the windowed application inside the browser.
It has been observed that Flash can be updated, but the installer doesn't remove or deactivate the old versions or even repoint to the new version.
CONFLICT!!
Seems like all your installed versions of Flash will try to coexist and there's where the stutter/jerkiness comes from
Most notably in Chrome and may affect other browsers as well.

The only version of Flash you use should be the most recent and it should reside in the Win32 directory
Check your flash install locations.
look for the Chrome plugins and check your contents....

BTW..Chrome just updated today and there were 4 fixes for the pepper flash that might have solved the problem. »googlechromereleases.blo ··· _30.html

treetop1000
join:2003-11-07
Lexington, KY

treetop1000

Yep just noticed that. Dunno if I'll be able to tell.
My problem went bye bye the instant I disabled the older versions. Versions that were all strangely -not- in win32 directory. the Chrome plugin page also gave me the dll library location specific to each older version, so I dropped in and renamed that dll to .xxdll and rebooted. BAM, no more stutter.
I know, overkill. and it might cause problems if Flash ever wanted to revert ...nah.

Name Game
Premium Member
Grand Rapids, MI

Name Game

Premium Member

Yup..I had same stutter stuff..I don't think what you did was overkill..hang in there and do what has to be done so it works for you.

disconnected
@snet.net

disconnected to treetop1000

Anon

to treetop1000
I wish Google would fix this problem. I must use IE if I want to watch flash based programming uninterrupted. The problem crops up nearly each time there's an update.