Irish Shark
Play Like A Champion Today
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-29
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:4
reply to kpet12

Re: Packet loss, disconnect, etc.

• That is much better speed-wise. The other wireless tests were way too low.

• So, we are dealing with a router issue or a Macbook issue.

• You said that you have five other devices that use the wireless router. Can any of those run some quick speed tests?

• This will point us to the culprit.
--
"You can observe a lot by watching". Yogi Berra

kpet12

join:2012-08-20
Pleasanton, CA

Here are some speed tests from my wireless desktop. My other devices include: another PC laptop which isn't with me at the moment, an iPhone, and a PS3.

Wireless: Java - Speakeasy - Palo Alto, CA

Wireless: Flash - Linkline - Los Angeles, CA

Out of curiosity, I ran another test just now on my Macbook from the same Java server and found this.

Sorry if I am including too much. I don't want to waste too much of your time. I am already really appreciative of your help so far.

kpet12

Pleasanton, CA

Here are the results from my Playstation 3.

Wireless: Flash - Linkline - Location: Los Angeles, CA

Irish Shark
Premium,MVM
Las Vegas, NV

• It looks like an issue with the Macbook and the router.

• Set the MTU to Automatic.

• Go to Airport Utility > Internet > Internet Connection> Ethernet WAN Port: set it to Automatic (Default).

• When you see the slowdown are there any other wireless devices in use?

• What security mode is set on the Macbook? Is this the same that is set on the router?

• I have an iMac so I don't know if you have a thing called Network Utility. If you do, take a look at the wireless connection and see if you are dropping any packets in or out.

• Have you done the Apple Hardware Test?
»support.apple.com/kb/HT1509

Let's try these things and go from there.
--

kpet12

Pleasanton, CA

- The MTU setting on my router does not have an automatic setting on it. However, I did notice under System Preferences > Network > Advanced > Ethernet it shows the MTU setting as "Standard (1500)". Not sure if that is what Apple recommends the MTU to set set at so please advise.

- When I look in Airport Utility, it does not recognize any devices. From what I gathered from Apples website is that this is for the Airport base station. Or am I doing something wrong?

- Yes, other devices are in use. Specifically my iPhone and PS3. When I am having issues, the iPhone doesn't disconnect from the wireless, but it acts in the same way as my Macbook by not loading any pages. My PS3, as I said above, will lag or disconnect. If I turn off AirPort on my macbook and then turn it back on, the PS3 will disconnect pretty much every time when it's disconnected.

- I'm not sure if I follow as far as security mode settings you are referring to.

- I've run the Network Utility ping test and thats where I noticed the problems. I would have any where from 20-50% packet loss. A few days ago I switched from Comcasts DNS server (75.75.75.75 and 75.75.75.76) to Googles DNS (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.8.4) and have seen improvement but not resolution. When running the ping test now on a few websites and Googles DNS, it has no loss. I just ran Comcasts DNS, 75.75.75.75, it shows a loss of 20-30% loss.

- I just ran the the basic Apple Hardware Test and it showed no issues. Should I run the more thorough test?

Irish Shark
Premium,MVM
Las Vegas, NV

• Yes the MTU should be 1500.

• Other devices are going to use/share the bandwidth either connected directly to the router or to the Wireless side of the router.

• On that subject, you said that you have a 20mb service with Comcast. Correct?

• Looking at you speed tests when directly connected to the MODEM, it just hit me. Those speeds are trash for a 20mb line. You have other issues that are impacting your setup. You should be getting ~ 20mb or better.

• Are there any splitters from the drop to the MODEM? How many and what are the rated at?

• Make sure all your coax is in good shape and all connections are tight.

• The MODEM is a DOCSIS 3 MODEM and Comcast may be using bonding on the download and upload channels. Go to this MODEM page »192.168.100.1/. The first page should show your signals for each channel. C&P that page here.

Flip to the log page and see is you have critical errors.
--

kpet12

Pleasanton, CA

- It makes sense that other devices that are sharing the bandwidth but I haven't introduced any new devices and I was not experiencing these issues before.

- Correction. Up to 20/mb. That might make a difference.

- No splitters attached from the wall cable to the modem.

- Coax cables look good, and everything is tight. From what I can tell anyways.

Modem Stats

RF Parameters
Downstream

DCID Freq Power SNR Modulation Octets Correcteds Uncorrectables
Downstream 1 2 711.00 MHz -3.28 dBmV 36.84 dB 256QAM 655885763 0 0
Downstream 2 3 717.00 MHz -3.03 dBmV 37.09 dB 256QAM 584716962 0 0
Downstream 3 5 729.00 MHz -3.82 dBmV 37.09 dB 256QAM 490874617 0 0
Downstream 4 8 747.00 MHz -4.17 dBmV 37.09 dB 256QAM 614809865 0 0

Upstream

UCID Freq Power Channel Type Symbol Rate Modulation
Upstream 1 11 30.60 MHz 46.00 dBmV DOCSIS2.0 (ATDMA) 5120 kSym/s 64QAM
Upstream 3 10 35.40 MHz 45.50 dBmV DOCSIS1.x (TDMA) 2560 kSym/s 16QAM
Upstream 4 12 23.70 MHz 45.25 dBmV DOCSIS2.0 (ATDMA) 5120 kSym/s 64QAM

Status
System Uptime: 9 d: 0 h: 37 m
Computers Detected: staticCPE(1), dynamicCPE(1)
CM Status: Telephony-Reg Complete
Time and Date: Fri 2012-08-31 12:44:19

Interface Parameters
Interface Name Provisioned State Speed (Mbps) MAC address
LAN Enabled Up 100(Full) 00:1D:D0:AA:E8:ED
CABLE Enabled Up ----- 00:1D:D0:AA:E8:EE
MTA Pass Up ----- 00:1D:D0:AA:E8:EF

- I didn't see any critical errors in the event log.

Irish Shark
Premium,MVM
Las Vegas, NV

Shot that one down.

I need to break away for today. I'll have some time tomorrow as I will be up early for the ND Game.

It doesn't make any sense why you are getting speeds like those.

We are just going to have to eliminate one thing at a time.

In the router what speed is it set to? b/g/n what is the Macbook set to? Router = n; Macbook = ? (the fastest that it can go).

Do you have another adapter to use to connect wireless to the router?

Have you updated your router's firmware? The WNR2000v3 initial Release Firmware Version 1.0.1.26 is what you want to have.
--

Paolo
Mr. Wireless

join:2004-05-29
canada

what do u use to measure packet loss? do u run an MTR?

Irish Shark
Premium,MVM
Las Vegas, NV

1 edit
reply to Irish Shark

Just thinking about some more stuff that we can look at/try. Not in any order, just off the top of my head.

• If a port’s light is lit, a link has been established to the connected device. If a LAN port is connected to a 100 Mbps device, verify that the port’s light is green. If the port is 10 Mbps, the light will be amber. What color is the MacBook port?

• If the light is NOT GREEN ... What is the speed that the Macbook Airport set to set to? b/g/n ?

• Reboot the Router.

• What does Network Utility show as your wireless speed?

• If Bluetooth is on, turn it off.

• Use WPA2 as your encryption mode (All Devices).

• Try changing the channel that your wireless is on (Try Channel 11 as a starting point in the router and the MacBook; then 2, then 6.) You can use this »www.istumbler.net/ to check your wireless single's strength. Use the channel that has the highest single. You can also see nearby networks that might be interfering with you.

• How far away are you from the router? Walls & stuff? Bring the Macbook close to the router. Any improvement?

• Try resetting your the PRAM and NVRAM »support.apple.com/kb/ht1379

• Try resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)
»support.apple.com/kb/HT3964
--

kpet12

Pleasanton, CA

I'll take a look into these and report back later this afternoon. Once again, I appreciate all of your help.

And congrats on the Notre Dame win!